SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Getting back into playing...

So, since it's the summer and I have some time to learn shit, I figure I should start back up on playing guitar. Now, I've had some lessons before, but due to various reasons (school mostly), I had to stop. I can't remember any specifics or anything, so I need help to relearn everything. I want to know what are some sites that can help me tremendously. My ultimate goal is to learn as much as I can to be able to be proficient enough to be in bands and also be able to do studio work. By studio work, I mean in terms of either helping out artists with songs, do some scoring for movies/tv shows/games/etc. and so on.

Some problems I faced in the past when I tried this the first time is that most people/sites were extremely too vague and left out a fuck ton of material. I know I need to learn scales, chords, etc. but I want specifics, charts, whatever. Also, I do realize that learning theory and becoming a better guitarist doesn't happen in two seconds. I just want to start now during summer so I can learn all of the foundations without having to be distracted by classes.

Thanks.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

http://smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=249236

^^marlon's thread from a few months ago. loads of information and resources for you to dive into.

glad to hear you're getting back to squeeblin' on the gitfiddle.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
modern death
Hails

Guitar Exercises thread
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

:derp
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
rippedflesh89

buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Tonal-Harmony-...dp_ob_title_bk

seriously, I spent one summer reading this book from cover to cover and doing every single self-test. Then when I fully understand a concept, I would pick up my guitar and try to come up with new ideas revolving around the new concept that I just learned

it's a great book, and it starts off with the most absolute basic of all musical ideas, such as what a note is, what scales are and how to create them, the diatonic major and minor keys etc and goes all the way to the extended harmony of the romantic era and even covers some basic post-tonal ideas of 20th century music; not to mention, it goes into great detail and has a ton of examples

this is totally worth the money; and once you finish this book, you will have a very good understanding of tonal music and you should be able to get into the more interesting theory, such as pitch class sets and paul hindemith's interesting chromatic system
rippedflesh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

explore your vibe..
Darcangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Alejandro4891

try getting lessons again from your guitar instructor. i've been going to one for 5 years and that has helped me out a fuckload.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Stay away from Kostka's book unless you're looking to put in some serious work. It's a standard that is used at the majority of colleges in the states for Music Fundamentals and Theory I-IV. It's not an upper level theory course book, but it might drive you away if you're not interested in learning about tonal harmony during the common practice period. It's also definitely not a "guitar book" by any means either. I do recommend it since I spent the last 4 semesters using it in school, but I'm pursuing this as a profession so I'm expected to know all of it's contents. www.musictheory.net is a useful alternative, but nothing will substitute for rigorous study of it with a theorist/pianist/instructor. Also, get with an instructor if you can, they are invaluable. And start playing with musicians who are better than you.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Robinator

Granted I am not a musician (far from it, lol) but if I may, I just want to wish you lots of luck on your endeavors to learn your instrument. Hope you prevail.. be patient and work at it and you'll do alright, I am sure! :)
Robinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
epitaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
+1. Recommended by my theory teacher as well.

I've found it really important to narrow down your interests, to focus on a few things at a time. Make some goals for yourself.
If you're going to learn scales, be sure to learn the major and minor pentatonic inside out before moving further. Etc.

Private lessons are probably the fastest way to develop.

I would also rather get some books from the library than browse the internets for 'lessons'.
A lot of good stuff on the web for sure, but they're mostly scattered from my experience.
epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 12 cry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura aboutcry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura about
1- buy the most expensive guitar and amps you can find

2- get some expensive cameras for your music video

3- learn to palm mute chug triplets

4- sign to sumerian
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Monsieur Lebeauxxx
THRILLHO

i can't vouch for anyone else in this thread, but these improved my playing tremendously...

Monsieur Lebeauxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
http://smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=249236

^^marlon's thread from a few months ago. loads of information and resources for you to dive into.

glad to hear you're getting back to squeeblin' on the gitfiddle.
I'll certainly look at that thread. And thanks! Hopefully I don't get lazy and just not do anything. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedflesh89 View Post
buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Tonal-Harmony-...dp_ob_title_bk

seriously, I spent one summer reading this book from cover to cover and doing every single self-test. Then when I fully understand a concept, I would pick up my guitar and try to come up with new ideas revolving around the new concept that I just learned

it's a great book, and it starts off with the most absolute basic of all musical ideas, such as what a note is, what scales are and how to create them, the diatonic major and minor keys etc and goes all the way to the extended harmony of the romantic era and even covers some basic post-tonal ideas of 20th century music; not to mention, it goes into great detail and has a ton of examples

this is totally worth the money; and once you finish this book, you will have a very good understanding of tonal music and you should be able to get into the more interesting theory, such as pitch class sets and paul hindemith's interesting chromatic system
Thanks for this book recommendation! It appears that my school's library has the 5th edition. So, I've already went ahead and checked it out and can't wait to open it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
Stay away from Kostka's book unless you're looking to put in some serious work. It's a standard that is used at the majority of colleges in the states for Music Fundamentals and Theory I-IV. It's not an upper level theory course book, but it might drive you away if you're not interested in learning about tonal harmony during the common practice period. It's also definitely not a "guitar book" by any means either. I do recommend it since I spent the last 4 semesters using it in school, but I'm pursuing this as a profession so I'm expected to know all of it's contents. www.musictheory.net is a useful alternative, but nothing will substitute for rigorous study of it with a theorist/pianist/instructor. Also, get with an instructor if you can, they are invaluable. And start playing with musicians who are better than you.

Well, I am able to check it out from my school's library. So, if I end up not digging it, I can always return it. I think I've been to that site before, but I've never really explored it. Thanks for the link and advice on the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro4891 View Post
try getting lessons again from your guitar instructor. i've been going to one for 5 years and that has helped me out a fuckload.
Well, lessons did help me when I took them. Though, I took them during a semester and it seemed like too much of class than lessons (if that makes any sense). Like, when going over the last lesson's material, it seemed more like busy work than something that was for fun. You know? I think what I plan on doing is try to learn as much as I can through books and online materials on my own first. Then, after I've gotten a solid grasp on the foundations, I will consider getting lessons again (more than likely ending up getting them anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinator View Post
Granted I am not a musician (far from it, lol) but if I may, I just want to wish you lots of luck on your endeavors to learn your instrument. Hope you prevail.. be patient and work at it and you'll do alright, I am sure! :)

Thanks, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
+1. Recommended by my theory teacher as well.

I've found it really important to narrow down your interests, to focus on a few things at a time. Make some goals for yourself.
If you're going to learn scales, be sure to learn the major and minor pentatonic inside out before moving further. Etc.

I would also rather get some books from the library than browse the internets for 'lessons'.
A lot of good stuff on the web for sure, but they're mostly scattered from my experience.

Hm, that's something I will do when going through exercises and practicing those scales. Didn't fully think of making little goals and such. Intriguing.

Yeah, along with the Tonal Harmony book, I plan on getting a lot of books about theory and all that good stuff.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #14
Beacons

Thats great man, best of luck! I jammed with my friends today for the first time in awhile and was getting really down on myself for not playing too solid. My picking technique seems to be really holding me back so i've been considering taking a few lessons to have a teacher help me improve.
Beacons is offline   Reply With Quote