SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #121
grindprod

Tuesday in Chicago. I might be filming...and I'll have All Access.
grindprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #122
grindprod

Also:

"A lot of things have happened during the planning of this tour and some of it has caused fans to be let down, which was never the intent. Everyone involved simply wants to spread the music and raise the awareness about musicians not having insurance, which is why we chose to support Sweet Relief. In the coming days we will be introducing a new T-shirt designed by Travis Smith that will only be available online through August first for pre-order. If you live in the US or abroad and would like to support this tour/cause and show your interest in these guys playing more shows together, just pre-order one of the shirts!

We want to thank everyone who was able to purchase VIP or General Admission tickets for these current shows and let you all know we want to do more! Additionally, if you are going to one of the shows coming up, make sure you grab some merchandise! The Travis Smith designs on sale during this tour are insane, unique, and will not be available ever again! They are all limited-edition and most are different per city, making them totally unique. By you purchasing a shirt, patch or tour poster, you are not only showing your support for Sweet Relief, you are helping us and the musicians plan this again for people everywhere.

To all those who purchased Atlanta or Dallas tickets, we are again truly sorry for the postponing and are working hard to re-schedule those shows.

Thank you all... Watch this page for information on the soon to be released, one-of-a-kind, online-only shirt featuring Travis Smith's insane work and keep the metal flowing."

https://www.facebook.com/DeathToAllTour
grindprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #123
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about
Who's going to LA show tomorrow? I'll be there
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #124
Skeetsystem
Liam Neesons

I'll be at the buffet, having a clinic with Gene Hogman's intricate soft serve topping technique.
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #125
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Rep Power: 0 flayedandskinned is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll be at the SF show tonight. I'll be the dude wearing the Portal Outré shirt.
flayedandskinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #126
blooddrunk
contagion

Cool man ill be wearing my destroy erase improve shirt. Lets meet at the bar!
blooddrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #127
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooddrunk View Post
Cool man ill be wearing my destroy erase improve shirt. Lets meet at the bar!
I'll probably drink before the show.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #128
hasu
عذاب النبي

Quote:
Originally Posted by flayedandskinned View Post
I'll be at the SF show tonight. I'll be the dude wearing the Portal Outré shirt.
I'll be there as well along with my band of geeky looking guys. I'll have an Isis jacket or Nightbringer shirt on. If we run into each other, please excuse my social anxiety.
hasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #129
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

I cut my hair last year so Im not exactly looking like a metalhead anymore. Haha.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #130
hasu
عذاب النبي

Quote:
I cut my hair last year so Im not exactly looking like a metalhead anymore. Haha.
dude I can only talk to animals; talking to humans makes me more nervous than anything.
hasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #131
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasu View Post
dude I can only talk to animals; talking to humans makes me more nervous than anything.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #132
Project Genesis

Rep Power: 0 Project Genesis is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll be there tonight in the Death Symbolic 1995 tour shirt.

Excited to see this come together. They have been here since Monday practicing. They practiced @ the regency last night
Project Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #133
Javi
Bring Them Down!

Oh, God no....No, no no.

Shit, I just heard about this & this is tomorrow?? Gorguts & Death? Shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackFlux View Post

Last edited by Javi; 06-22-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #134
Alejandro4891

this tour reminds me of this video. i wonder what made paul change his mind.

Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #135
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro4891 View Post
this tour reminds me of this video. i wonder what made paul change his mind.

$$$$
Old 06-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #136
Gaybeard
analsex superstar

Cause its for charity and all the other ex members are in it. He wanted to help.
Gaybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #137
Javi
Bring Them Down!

So LA people, how was it?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #138
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about
Was fucking awesome imo. Was pissed cuz they apparently opened the doors 30 minutes late but still started on time. So missed like half of gorguts cuz there was still a huge line waiting to get in. still got to see inverted, obscura and the erosion of sanity.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #139
Alejandro4891

i'm gonna go buy my ticket tomorrow for thursday's show.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #140
Javi
Bring Them Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFlesh View Post
Was fucking awesome imo. Was pissed cuz they apparently opened the doors 30 minutes late but still started on time. So missed like half of gorguts cuz there was still a huge line waiting to get in. still got to see inverted, obscura and the erosion of sanity.
Ouuu, I would have been really disappointed. I ended up watching this vid since I couldn't find any regular admission tickets:

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #141
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

Here's a review from the Hollywood show with setlists and lineups.

As a younger fan, I never expected to have the chance to see Death songs live. When this tour was announced I was elated. It was like a dream. There was no way I would pass on this opportunity. I must say that anybody who is missing this tour because Chuck isn't there is making a horrible decision. These former members and other musicians are not claiming that this is a reunion. They are paying tribute to a man that had a major impact on metal, and they put an immense amount of time and effort to get this all together.

By the time I got to the venue the line was incredibly long. The show was sold out and people were walking up and down the line asking if anybody had extra tickets. One of the scalpers was selling tickets for $80 a piece and I saw multiple people buy them off him. Eventually the line started to move. By that time it had reached to the end of the block. From where I was it took forty minutes to get inside from when they started letting people in. Thankfully the show didn't start until hour after the doors opened, so I didn't miss anything, which I have actually had happen to me at the House of Blues numerous times in the past.

Gorguts was really the icing on the cake for this show. The last time they had played here was in 2001 on tour for From Wisdom to Hate. They came on stage not long after I got inside and people were chanting their name as the intro played. Their sound was immense and Luc's vocals were remarkable. I was in awe watching the crazy guitar work. Their style is something that I don't think has ever been replicated, even to this day. The setlist was great, including most of their best material. I wish they could have played longer, but it was awesome to even be able to see them in the first place. The pit really erupted for "Stiff and Cold", one of their heaviest songs. They closed the set with the title track from The Erosion of Sanity, which again had people going insane. The band seemed really pleased to have such an enthusiastic response from the crowd, and there was even a chant for one more song as they walked off stage.
From Wisdom to Hate
The Carnal State
Orphans of Sickness
Nostalgia
Stiff and Cold
Inverted
Obscura
The Erosion of Sanity

Despite how amazing Gorguts was, they could not top what was about to come next. The wait was short, and in no time the intro started playing with the lights on the Death logo backdrop. They came out to chanting and then they started playing the intro to "Zombie Ritual". Everybody cheered and immediately the floor turned into pandemonium. For me it was unbelievable that I was actually seeing this live. Then they played my all time favorite Death song, "Leprosy". At that point it was really just euphoria to me. When Charles Elliot did the opening scream to the song it was just incredible. His vocals are definitely lower than Chuck's, but he tried to stay at a mid-level range with some higher screams thrown in. He also alternated solos with Paul Masvidal, who was doing an exceptional job as well. However, what I was really blown away by was Sean Reinert's persistence. The guy ruptured his achilles tendon a few weeks ago and was still destroying his kit like it had never happened. He was actually wearing a boot cast. I was surprised he was even able to play, let alone do five songs in a row with that sort of injury.

After pulling out a couple of great deep cuts, "Torn to Pieces" and "Left to Die", Gene Hoglan took to the stage for "Suicide Machine". His kit sounded perfect, with the double bass was thundering throughout the room. He was really into it, as were all the other guys on stage. After one of the songs Charles Elliot took a moment to tell the crowd that he saw Death in 1998 at the Whisky and that it changed his life. I can only imagine how he felt to be able to play those songs on stage.

They continued with a couple more classics from Human and then Danny Walker came out to play drums on another unexpected song, "Secret Face". After that Gene returned to the kit and Matt Harvey came out. Although it sucks that Steffen from Obscura couldn't make it, I was more excited knowing that Matt would be taking his place. Not only am I a big Exhumed fan, but Matt's vocals were much more fitting for the later Death material. Like Charles Elliot did, Matt played a lot of the solos, and he did so with ease. He seemed to really enjoy playing the songs and had a great presence on stage.

Something that I noticed as the show went on was that it seemed that the entire crowd knew every song. That's something I have never seen before, and it was incredible. At this point in the show I had taken a break from being in the pit and found a spot closer to the front. I wanted to be able to watch the awesome guitar work up close, as well as Gene behind the kit. They continued onward through the discography with a fair helping from each of the last three albums. "Bite the Pain" and "Flesh and the Power it Holds" really stood out to me. They pulled off the songs so perfectly, and the bass and guitar solo section in "Flesh and the Power it Holds" was simply stunning.

After the main set the acoustic guitar was set up on stage and everybody knew what that meant. Shannon, Bobby, and Scott them came out to play the beautiful instrumental, "Voice of the Soul". Then Travis Ryan of Cattle Decapitation came out to the stage to play another favorite of mine, "Living Monstrosity". After that all the musicians, with the exception of Danny Walker, came out for the final song, "Pull the Plug". Three vocalists, three guitarists, two bassists, and two drummers were all on stage playing at once. It was insane. At one point Matt and Travis were together screaming into one mic, and then Charles came over to join them. It was the most intense part of the set, with lots of crowdsurfers and a large pit going on. It was an excellent way to end the show.

This show was easily one of the best I have ever witnessed, and I was very pleased with the song selection. Of course there were a couple other songs that I would have liked to hear, but it was very balanced throughout the discography and I even got to hear my favorite song, which I wasn't expecting! They really exceeded my expectations in every way possible. I would like to thank everybody who was involved in this. It was so cool to see the former members returning to the stage to perform these songs, as well as other musicians carrying on the legacy. It was the perfect way to commemorate Chuck Schuldiner and his music.

At the bottom I have a list of the main lineups for the set. Any exceptions to the lineups are noted in parenthesis. Hopefully it is not too confusing. I didn't want to type out the entire lineup for every song, because then it would just be too clustered. I tried to keep notes of everything as the show was going on, but there is the possibility that I missed something or messed up.
Zombie Ritual (Start of lineup 1)
Leprosy
Within the Mind
Torn to Pieces
Left to Die (Scott on bass)
Suicide Machine (Start of lineup 2)
Lack of Comprehension
Flattening of Emotions
Secret Face (Danny Walker on drums)
The Philosopher (Start of lineup 3)
Trapped In a Corner
Overactive Imagination (Matt off guitar, Bobby on guitar)
Bite the Pain (Scott on bass)
Zero Tolerance (Start of lineup 4)
1,000 Eyes
Crystal Mountain
Flesh and the Power it Holds (Matt off guitar, Shannon on guitar)
Symbolic
A Moment of Clarity (Shannon on guitar)
---
Voice of the Soul (Shannon, Bobby, Scott on acoustic guitar)
Living Monstrosity (Travis Ryan, Bobby, Charles, Steve, Gene)
Pull the Plug (with everybody, except Danny Walker)

Lineup 1:

Guitar / Vocals - Charles Elliott
Guitar - Paul Masvidal
Bass - Steve DiGiorgio
Drums - Sean Reinert

Lineup 2:

Guitar / Vocals - Charles Elliott
Guitar - Paul Masvidal
Bass - Steve DiGiorgio
Drums - Gene Hoglan

Lineup 3:

Guitar / Vocals - Matt Harvey
Guitar - Shannon Hamm
Bass - Steve DiGiorgio
Drums - Gene Hoglan

Lineup 4:

Guitar / Vocals - Matt Harvey
Guitar - Bobby Koelble
Bass - Scott Clendenin
Drums - Gene Hoglan
SLIT YOUR GUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #142
Vriend
Afro Dog

tl;dr
Vriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #143
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Apparently Matt Sotelo is all kinds of butthurt that he wasnt invited to be involved in this tour.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #144
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

^lolwut
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #145
Chromaticity
erusredsteregi

Elaborate?
Chromaticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #146
Nev

Quote:
Apparently Matt Sotelo is all kinds of butthurt that he wasnt invited to be involved in this tour.
its all over their facebook page, many rants about "shitty deathcore bands" some houw tie into this tour.

kinda funny.

https://www.facebook.com/decrepitbir...08220502540168
Nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #147
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

I heard from other people and even on Facebook the guy was bitching about it. His personal account and Decrepit Birth's. Saying how pissed and disappointed they weren't asked to be involved. Lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #148
earthly vulgarity

yeah, he uploaded crystal mountain, and said "the solo is off", lol
earthly vulgarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #149
Alejandro4891

i bought my ticket today. the show's most likely going to be sold out on thursday.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #150
Project Genesis

Rep Power: 0 Project Genesis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro4891 View Post
i bought my ticket today. the show's most likely going to be sold out on thursday.

There was over 1400 people here last Friday...
Project Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote