SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
rfe
u what m8

Grethor

Sup broms. I've been busy taking wing tsun lessons so I haven't been around much, but I wanted to show you guys what I've been up to lately as far as drumming goes.

Right now I'm playing with this blackened death metal band Grethor. Basically our style is a mix of early Dissection and At the Gates with a touch of DSO, Immo, and Emperor.

We just released an EP which you guys can stream on our Bandcamp page: http://grethor.bandcamp.com. There's also stuff from our back catalog on there as well. We also have some live footage here:

Hope you guys like it, thanks for checking us out.

Last edited by rfe; 09-08-2013 at 08:02 PM..
rfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Durpentine
Blame the Jews.

Re: Grethor

The sound quality is pretty bad, also i don't know what the fuck is going on with the vocals.
Durpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
modern death
Hails

what's happening with the kick drums around 2:55? and 3:05 when it plays it again. on the first track after the intro thing.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 22 De Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really nice

I had to check out the Bandcamp cause the vids weren't doing the tunes much justice and the songs are cool man. Some cool ideas getting around in there.
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
rfe
u what m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by modern death View Post
what's happening with the kick drums around 2:55? and 3:05 when it plays it again. on the first track after the intro thing.
Since the drums weren't triggered our mixing/mastering guy took the kick files and mixed them where the clicks you hear are when I hit the bass drum the hardest. Pretty standard procedure but from what I understand the studio who recorded us didn't have the proper kind of mics for extreme metal recording and it led to a lot of bleed between drum and cymbal mics. I play my 32nd rolls a little softer than my other strokes which keeps my rolls clean and consistent, so that suffered due to the amount of bleeding between mics.

Our mixing/mastering guy did the best he could to clean up the bleeding and make it sound decent, and it sounds fine with the single, 8th, and 16th note strokes, but faster than that and there were issues. So from what I understand it was mostly a mic issue, which is why I'm considering triggering my kicks and going to another studio when we record next time to avoid this from happening again.

Quote:
I had to check out the Bandcamp cause the vids weren't doing the tunes much justice and the songs are cool man. Some cool ideas getting around in there.
Thanks dude! Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah I apologize about the mediocre sound quality on the videos but I thought it wouldn't hurt to share anyway.

Last edited by rfe; 08-17-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
rfe
u what m8

Hey dudes, just bumping with the fact that our shit is out on Spotify if any of you guys use that stuff. We also have a Soundcloud page (not that it matters since all of our shit is on our bandcamp anyway). http://www.soundcloud.com/grethorva

Last edited by rfe; 08-20-2013 at 11:46 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
rfe
u what m8

Hey guys, bumping the thread again to share a really cool review of our EP we put out last month. It's an interesting read if nothing else.

http://dcheavymetal.com/2013/09/05/r...um-by-grethor/

Thanks for taking the time to listen to our stuff! We're balls-deep in writing for the full-length right now and it sounds much more substantial than our older songs. We're incorporating more avant-garde and influences from Ulcerate, Cryptopsy, Suffo, Morbid Angel, Gorguts as well as expanding on our DsO, Immo, and Dissection influence. I'm really stoked to share it with you slutcakes when it's all finished.

Last edited by rfe; 09-08-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Chevy-DuneDeBeer

Rep Power: 0 Chevy-DuneDeBeer is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings! Was your EP recorded with all natural drumming and no triggers/sample replacement?
Chevy-DuneDeBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Project Genesis

Rep Power: 0 Project Genesis is an unknown quantity at this point

Is using a amplifier on a guitar not real metal?
Project Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Chevy-DuneDeBeer

What does that have to do with drum triggers?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
rfe
u what m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-DuneDeBeer View Post
Greetings! Was your EP recorded with all natural drumming and no triggers/sample replacement?
All drums recorded acoustically, no triggers.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Chevy-DuneDeBeer

And no samples? Excellent!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #13
Project Genesis

Rep Power: 0 Project Genesis is an unknown quantity at this point

Is using a amplifier on a guitar not real metal? (Like a lamb to the slaughter...)

[QUOTE=Chevy-DuneDeBeer;3888875]What does that have to do with drum tiggers

A pickup device is a transducer that captures mechanical vibrations, usually from suitably equipped stringed instruments such as the electric guitar, electric bass guitar, Chapman Stick, or electric violin, and converts them to an electrical signal that is amplified, recorded, or broadcast.

In drumming, a trigger is an electronic transducer that can be attached to a drum, cymbal or other instrument and converts them to an electrical signal that is amplified, recorded, or broadcast.

Where is your validation now?
Project Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #14
Chevy-DuneDeBeer

In other words, drum triggers are electric devices that are played with methods that often don't emulate real acoustic notes whatsoever, are leeched onto an acoustic instrument, and give many biomechanical advantages including shortened stroke length, artificial endurance, artificial consistency, lighter strokes, louder notes & therefore speed. A device that plagues plastimetal music constantly. Not the same thing as guitar pick-ups. Fake drum samples will remain fucking weak, plastic, gay, empty, stail, unrealistic little computer exaggerations, in a sea of clones, while real acoustic bludgeoning withstands the trials of time.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

Sooo, why do you have to ask bands if they use them then? Shouldn't it just be obvious when you listen?
SwedeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe View Post
Since the drums weren't triggered our mixing/mastering guy took the kick files and mixed them where the clicks you hear are when I hit the bass drum the hardest. Pretty standard procedure but from what I understand the studio who recorded us didn't have the proper kind of mics for extreme metal recording and it led to a lot of bleed between drum and cymbal mics. I play my 32nd rolls a little softer than my other strokes which keeps my rolls clean and consistent, so that suffered due to the amount of bleeding between mics.

Our mixing/mastering guy did the best he could to clean up the bleeding and make it sound decent, and it sounds fine with the single, 8th, and 16th note strokes, but faster than that and there were issues. So from what I understand it was mostly a mic issue, which is why I'm considering triggering my kicks and going to another studio when we record next time to avoid this from happening again.

If the bleed was that bad, then it sounds like it wasn't a problem with the microphones. The problem would be that the person who positioned the mics didn't follow the 3:1 rule.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
Chevy-DuneDeBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMetal View Post
Sooo, why do you have to ask bands if they use them then? Shouldn't it just be obvious when you listen?
Yes, it is obvious most of the time, but when I asked bands like Thy Art is Murder and Trigger the Bloodshed, they told me they actually recorded with an all acoustic drum-kit and that they simply compressed all the drums, therefore invalidating any previous assumptions. I always message new bands to know if they triggered their drums before listening to their material, because I have standards, and I ONLY listen to bands with 100% acoustic drums and with absolutely no triggers and fake samples. The only real metal is honest metal, played by real humans, not robots.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Azathoth Shrugged
Majestic/Crepuscular

You had me at Wing Tsun lessons.
Azathoth Shrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
RonSword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth Shrugged View Post
RonSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
rfe
u what m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingInsanity View Post
If the bleed was that bad, then it sounds like it wasn't a problem with the microphones. The problem would be that the person who positioned the mics didn't follow the 3:1 rule.
That's entirely possible too. Again, I'm no expert on it so I'm just going off what I was told. Fortunately these issues aren't pertinent through the EP, just several spots. It was definitely a learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth Shrugged View Post

Last edited by rfe; 09-09-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
rfe
u what m8

Hey broms and the one bromette that posts here, just bumping the thread to post our album teaser we put out today. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it, there's still some more work to be done before we record this bad boy, but it's a good indication of what the album will sound like. Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/grethorva/grethoralbumteaser/
Old 12-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
rfe
u what m8

Bumping the topic again to post an interview we did with a spanish metal zine. The link is below.

http://thepainfucktory.com/entrevista_grethor.htm