SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Mr-Shredz
Death>Fucking>Metal

Rep Power: 5 Mr-Shredz will become famous soon enoughMr-Shredz will become famous soon enough
Bands asking the fans to pay for their recording/printing costs.

Well, we read about Arsis asking for money to fund their Wintersun tour but now, Obituary have asked the fans to raise $10k to pay for their recording of their new album plus printing costs to release it.

I thought this was a bit cringy yet unrealistic. But damn I shall eat my own hat now since the band has raised nearly $12k already....

You can read all about it here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...obituary-album

Is this the beggining of something new so labels won't be needed anymore? Hahahaha who knows!!
Mr-Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Re: Bands asking the fans to pay for their recording/printing costs.

what makes these bands think fans with fund their upcoming record when most won't even buy the ones they have now?
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Raad
'sup

I don't really see a problem with this trend other than the issue of transparency. But it's pretty funny that these kickstarter things have a tendency to reach really high numbers in no time all the time artists/labels are complaining about constantly losing money due to low sales. Either labels/artists are talking shit or there's some really interesting psychological phenomena happening here where fans can't wait to be part of a kickstarter initiative but hate directly buying the actual product in a conventional way.

Does anyone know of any smaller underground band that has tried this and succeeded? I'm thinking this might be so successful due to the fact of how "big" Obituary are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
what makes these bands think fans with fund their upcoming record when most won't even buy the ones they have now?
Well, apparently it's working?

Last edited by Raad; 08-07-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

I think the whole kickstarter/indiegogo/related campaigns for making an album are alright, to an extent. Asking for $10k is a more reasonable and realistic pricing for making an album as compared to that band that asked for $120k (can't remember which band that was). Sure, the campaign could fail due to no one being interested in the band anymore or no one wants to hear a new album or whatever. But, I think that if a band does this sort of thing and puts up a reasonable amount for making an album (as well as having it printed), then it's an ok thing to do by my standards. IMO though, I think the band would be able to raise the amount necessary for making the album if they offer exclusive/limited edition pledges, such as shirts, vinyl sets, and whatever they can come up with that won't be offered outside the campaign.

I can see both sides of the issue and I totally understand why people are so pissy with these campaigns. I say that if a band you love does this sort of thing, then by all means pledge. If you don't like the band or you don't think it's a worthwhile cause, then ignore it.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Dunlop

Bands should take what they can get. If a fan is dumb enough to send the money then all the power to the bands. Fuck stupid people. Exploit them and take their money
Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
x nor

it's cool. i don't see why anyone would not grant some money to a hard working band. and as far as I know everyone that donates also gets something for it so it's not really donations, it's more some kind of special preorder. I don't care much for Obituary these days but if I would, then why not donating? I wouldn't care if they make $120k at all if that means they're recording a great album with great production.
x nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
entwinedwithsickness
almost human

Bands used to put some kind of investment into being in a band. Where does it end now? Once you buy your gear are the fans supposed to finance your entire existence?

I get why the bands do it but I'll never understand why the fans are letting themselves be used like this.

Lastly, in 2013 who the fuck wants to hear a new Obituary CD?
entwinedwithsickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

This is blowing my mind. At first I thought it's a ton of people donating a couple bucks, and in that case, why not? I saw the one for Katatonia's alternate recording of Dead End Kings, and I would have considered pledging $5, but they had already met their goal anyway.

Thing is, if you look at the numbers for the Obituary album, the AVERAGE pledge is just under $55. And there's also one person who has pledged at least $500! The other interesting thing is that, if you go through the list, the majority of people have backed at least one other project and many of them have backed quite a few. I would have expected that this was mostly die-hard Obituary fans who wouldn't have been using the site otherwise.

The strange thing is, Obituary keeps making albums anyway. If the kickstarter initiative failed, there's no reason to think it would prevent the next album. That, and Obituary is boring.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 20 Lichtbringer is a jewel in the roughLichtbringer is a jewel in the roughLichtbringer is a jewel in the rough

deja-vu-thread time!
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwinedwithsickness View Post
Bands used to put some kind of investment into being in a band. Where does it end now? Once you buy your gear are the fans supposed to finance your entire existence?

I get why the bands do it but I'll never understand why the fans are letting themselves be used like this.
read
|
|
v

Quote:
Originally Posted by x nor View Post
as far as I know everyone that donates also gets something for it so it's not really donations, it's more some kind of special preorder.

In my eyes, the whole kickstarter thing to make a new album is just like how it's always been in the music business. The difference is that the band will get the money from the fans upfront from all the pre-sales to record it instead of the band going into a studio to record the album, mix/master/press it, and then release it for sale to try to get all of their money back that they spent on the whole process (and a little more for them, the label, etc.).
Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
brett

Yep, Protest The Hero thread wasn't long ago.
These schemes are 100% positive in my opinion.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Don't these things usually come with the promise of receiving the final product in the end? So I "donate" $25 and get a cd and a shirt in 6 months? I've never actually contributed to any of these, but that's how I understand that they work. Am I wrong?

If that's the case, I really don't see anything wrong with it at all. I view it as a positive thing actually.
Chilidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

i donīt get the whole crowd funding thing. why u seem to work?

edit: I donīt see it as bad, just weird that it does work

Last edited by Grindmasterflesh; 08-07-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Grindmasterflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
ziel

Quote:

sums up my feelings about this.

How do I know all that money is going to be used to record the album? How do I know that the band didn't just double the amount of money they actually need to record an album just so they can pocket a $1000 each for themselves?

Bands are starting to act like we (fans) OWE them something...
ziel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Looking at this Obituary one, you have to donate $30 before you see a physical copy of the album? What the fuck is that?
Chilidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziel View Post

Bands are starting to act like we (fans) OWE them something...
No, that would be the case if these bands demanded they get money. But really, they're just asking for a helping hand. And there is incentive to lend a hand; at the very least, you're solidifying a preorder on whatever product. I see nothing wrong with crowdfunding. If the artist makes extra money out of a kickstarter campaign, more power to them...that's the whole point of setting a monetary goal. Even then, Obituary has set up potential rewards for backers if they reach certain amounts that exceed their goal. Which means that some of the extra cash will be used to give back more to the fans. I see nothing wrong with crowdfunding campaigns. Sure, some bands ask for way too much, but if they can actually achieve their goal, good for them.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
entwinedwithsickness
almost human

I view this as more than "asking for a helping hand," when you pay $30 to just get a CD. This isn't pre-ordering this is begging with a 100% markup on the end result.

Again, I get why bands do it but I'm personally not okay with it and will never support this concept. I think anyone who pays into it is a sucker.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
I view this as more than "asking for a helping hand," when you pay $30 to just get a CD. This isn't pre-ordering this is begging with a 100% markup on the end result.

Again, I get why bands do it but I'm personally not okay with it and will never support this concept. I think anyone who pays into it is a sucker.
So, if they priced the CD at $15, that would make this campaign more doable and worth pledging?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
entwinedwithsickness
almost human

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingInsanity View Post
So, if they priced the CD at $15, that would make this campaign more doable and worth pledging?
Its Obituary so no
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about

Been thinking about doing this for my band. Just a $2,000 goal to record, and then the album would be free. Nothing like protest the hero status where we are asking for people to pay for memory cards and cables and shit.
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
Deathstalker

did those assclowns in Protest The Hero ever say why they needed $120,00 to fund their album?
Deathstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker View Post
did those assclowns in Protest The Hero ever say why they needed $120,00 to fund their album?
yeah they had a whole statement listing everything they needed to finance. They did end up getting more than 200,000$, and then signing to another record label right after owned
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
The Yeti

At first I thought it was a little cringe-inducing, but after some reflection, I personally dont have a problem with it.

If the band collects money, then doesnt follow through, then obviously their reputation is trashed.

If a fan donates money, well, thats on them. If a great album comes of it, great. If not, oh well. Hopefully they werent stupid to pledge more than they could afford to lose.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Dunlop

The main thing to remember is that nobody is obligated. Because of that fact I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Don't like the idea? Don't send money. The end.

I thought about setting up one of those with some pics of a hot girl with little titties and then saying she needs $10,000 for a boob job, and after she will send pics to all the guys... Then just take the money, close the account and disappear. It would be awesome!
Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
serocs
>implying

nothing wrong with that. if fans want to pay, then it's up to them. they're not forcing them
serocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
FTS
I Give Up

Quote:

http://lambgoat.com/news/comments.aspx?id=19917

Austrian Death Machine seeks $63K for album, tour

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:53 PM PT

As I Lay Dying frontman Tim Lambesis has turned to fans to help fund the forthcoming album from his side-project, Austrian Death Machine. Lambesis has launched an Indiegogo campaign in which he is seeking $63,000 for the album, titled "Triple Brutal," in addition to a tour in support of the effort.

Beyond the standard perks are some strange items, such as $250 to have Lambesis wear a shirt with your face on it during a show. Or, you can pay $5000 to have your initials tattoed on Lambesis's butt (plus dinner with him afterward).
HEEEEEEEELLOO free legal fees

FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
Immortal Cessation
Enigmatic Form

It would have been a great chance to show that very few people want a new Obituary album. But obviously there are much more than I've thought.
Immortal Cessation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #28
Gangrene
Premateria

It's a thinly-veiled way to attempt to lower pirating, as well as be an all-encompassing place for dedicated fans to buy shit.

I hated the idea at first, but as long as bands are reasonable with their incentives then go for it.
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #29
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Rep Power: 16 imbutawaveto has a spectacular aura aboutimbutawaveto has a spectacular aura aboutimbutawaveto has a spectacular aura about

eh, im in the same boat as most people here. if it's a reasonable cost and people pledge, who gives a fuck? dont act like most of the bands are out there like "how can we fuck people out of more money?!" there's no way to make a profit in dm and it costs a bunch to properly record it. i'd rather spend a few extra bucks to make sure a band i like has a well produced album, than buy it later only to find out it sounds like shit cause they could only pay for a shitty recording.

all that being said, didn't sleep terror fail miserably on kickstarter recently? lol
imbutawaveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #30
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbutawaveto View Post

all that being said, didn't sleep terror fail miserably on kickstarter recently? lol
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...um-and-us-tour

You should have donated, since you're a fan.
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote