SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Shred The Ganja

Just ordered a v-amp 3

I know a lot of people on here use v-amps, any tips or suggestions?
Shred The Ganja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Monsieur Lebeauxxx
THRILLHO

probably gonna order one of these for jamming in my apt. next semester. any latency issues through usb?
Monsieur Lebeauxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
novareaper
\(_o)/

it sounds like this

enjoy your radio transistor tone
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Shred The Ganja

I obviously didn't buy it for the tone
Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Shred The Ganja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Lebeaux View Post
probably gonna order one of these for jamming in my apt. next semester. any latency issues through usb?
It comes thursday...i'll let you know what i think.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
ElementGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaReaper View Post
it sounds like this

enjoy your radio transistor tone
This was a Digitech 21 Pro or a Legend. Matt used the V-amp Pro for Diminishing Between Worlds demo songs. I'm sure the V-amp 3 will sound pretty good. The V-amp Pro was an outstanding sounding unit, especially for the price. The only drawback was the preset switching delay, at least half a second.
ElementGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
novareaper
\(_o)/

i never said that's what he used, i said that's what it sounds like. big difference
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Matt used the Digitech Pro Legend on ATB. Used to own one too. I even copied his settings he gave out and was playing in D standard at the time, lol.

I still use the v-amp pro for fleshing out ideas and recording scratch tracks, but then I go back and re-record everything using LePou's free ampsim (usually Legion for metal stuff) and my favorite impulses. If you're going to be using the v-amp for recording, I suggest you don't and d/l one of the really good free ampsims (TSX, Nick Crow, LePou) and then get keFIR or Voxengo Boogex to load your impulses. All of that is free and you can achieve a much better metal tone using that software than the v-amp. It still won't stand up to a real amp and cab (the congest mids and lack of movement are usually a give away), but it's a blessing for us guitarist who can't afford to mic a real cab because of our living situation.

Here's a quick mix I just did with some tracks off of the Sneap forum. I don't use dropbox right now, so sorry. Just make sure you click the sendspace link above where it says "share".

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bou4gj

I'm currently demoing apTrigga2 atm, so that's where the sharp "hiss" spikes are coming from. Guitars are LePou's Legion. Can't remember what impulse I used. Did a quick HP/LP and some small cuts (nothing more than 1 db) in the midrange to help it sit better in the mix. There's also a multiband comp keeping the low mids in check. It was "mastered" in like 2 seconds, so it obviously needs some tweaking, but you get the jest.

Some good start up settings for a modern metal tone when using the v-amp.

Amp: Modern Hi Gain
Gain: 5 or 6
Bass: 3 or 4
Mids: 5
Highs: 5 or 6
Presence: 5 or 6
Drive Boost: ON
Cab: 15 (you bypass this and use impulses if you're unhappy with their cab selection)
Effects: Choose the compressor but leave the knobs at their lowest settings.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Shred The Ganja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
Matt used the Digitech Pro Legend on ATB. Used to own one too. I even copied his settings he gave out and was playing in D standard at the time, lol.

I still use the v-amp pro for fleshing out ideas and recording scratch tracks, but then I go back and re-record everything using LePou's free ampsim (usually Legion for metal stuff) and my favorite impulses. If you're going to be using the v-amp for recording, I suggest you don't and d/l one of the really good free ampsims (TSX, Nick Crow, LePou) and then get keFIR or Voxengo Boogex to load your impulses. All of that is free and you can achieve a much better metal tone using that software than the v-amp. It still won't stand up to a real amp and cab (the congest mids and lack of movement are usually a give away), but it's a blessing for us guitarist who can't afford to mic a real cab because of our living situation.

Here's a quick mix I just did with some tracks off of the Sneap forum. I don't use dropbox right now, so sorry. Just make sure you click the sendspace link above where it says "share".

I'm currently demoing apTrigga2 atm, so that's where the sharp "hiss" spikes are coming from. Guitars are LePou's Legion. Can't remember what impulse I used. Did a quick HP/LP and some small cuts (nothing more than 1 db) in the midrange to help it sit better in the mix. There's also a multiband comp keeping the low mids in check. It was "mastered" in like 2 seconds, so it obviously needs some tweaking, but you get the jest.

Cab: 15 (you bypass this and use impulses if you're unhappy with their cab selection)
Thanks for the advice! the settings you posted for the metal tone are similar to what i've been playing with, sounds pretty damn good for $100.

I bought this purely for being able to play 24/7 because of living situation as the only amp i have is a half stack, and to record low quality demos with some programmed drums.

I think i'm getting the hang of dialing in some decent tones on the unit but am having some trouble recording to my PC. Could you post how you directly record to you PC. cable configuration and all? I'm just trying to use the free energy xt2.5 software that came with it. I dont have a mixer or anything. I just want to plug straight into my v-amp then to interface then to pc. i must be missing something here, i've never done any recording on my pc ever so im a complete noob .
Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Shred The Ganja

K scratch that, the ASIO driver i had was fucked so i re-installed it and now it works good. This energy software fucking blows however. Any free software somebody could recomend?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
sastac

Reaper.
sastac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Reaper isn't free though. The trial version doesn't expire, but I believe you get a nag every time you open it until you purchase a license for it. Just do it, it's like $50 I think. That's a steal for a DAW.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 07-23-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Shred The Ganja

Yea i see its not free, might try that. $40 it looks like.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Shred The Ganja

Loving reaper.....great program for 40 bucks....very simple.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
Shred The Ganja

Quote:

Care to give me some general direction on how my v-amp, boogex, legion and reaper all get synced up? I've loaded the boogex VST inside reaper and just can't seem to get this going.

my guitar goes into v-amp then to interface then straight to pc. how do i bypass the v-amp to use just the ampsim and load the impulses with boogex?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
ChAAPY
it's one louder

There are two options here. If you want to use the v-amp as an ampsim but use boogex to load an impulse (your cab), you have to bypass the cab simulation on the v-amp. I don't have the v-amp 3, but on the pro you press D and E (configuration) and select no cab. You'll know when you have bypassed it because your tone should sound like complete shit (ie. very fizzy). Now, load up boogex and select an impulse. The trick is finding a good impulse that works well with your ampsim. Try to achieve the tone your looking for at this stage. Shape it with the ampsim and impulse selection. Don't go in with the mindset that you can just use post-processing EQ later on to get your tone (you'll have to do some basic eq, but get it right at the source first if you can).

The other way is to use the free ampsims available on the net (TSE, LePou, Nick Crow, etc.) in conjunction with boogex. For this, you don't even need to plug your guitar into the v-amp, just go directly into your soundcard. Fair warning, if your convertors are shit, then your tone most likely won't be the best. This is where getting a good interface or a DI box comes into play. For now, don't worry about it. Here's a quick tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/user/fearcomp...34/A0nVsmoiEUk - If you choose to go this route, download a plug-in version of the famous tubescreamer pedal to place in front of the ampsim to tighten up the low mids a bit. TSE 808 is the most common, and it's free: http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/f...c.php?f=8&t=36

If you have any other questions, start googling this stuff or search youtube videos, there are TONS of them out there with useful information, but there are also tons of them with bad info too. You'll learn all of this through trial and error. The best place I can direct you to is the Andy Sneap forum. Use the custom Sneap search function (http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00...09:4qw46y8lnza) to bring up all the old threads that have covered your questions already, and start reading. Open up a txt file or notepad and copy/paste all the useful info you find into a folder so you don't have to keep coming back to the same searches. Seriously, any question you might have is there and has been answered multiple times. That place is (or was), imo, the holy grail of home recording advice.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 07-26-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
serocs
>implying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred The Ganja View Post
Loving reaper.....great program for 40 bucks....very simple.
you bought reaper
serocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
serocs
>implying

also, andy sneap forum is the reason all metal and scene genres sound the same now
serocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #19
Shred The Ganja

Quote:
There are two options here. If you want to use the v-amp as an ampsim but use boogex to load an impulse (your cab), you have to bypass the cab simulation on the v-amp. I don't have the v-amp 3, but on the pro you press D and E (configuration) and select no cab. You'll know when you have bypassed it because your tone should sound like complete shit (ie. very fizzy). Now, load up boogex and select an impulse. The trick is finding a good impulse that works well with your ampsim. Try to achieve the tone your looking for at this stage. Shape it with the ampsim and impulse selection. Don't go in with the mindset that you can just use post-processing EQ later on to get your tone (you'll have to do some basic eq, but get it right at the source first if you can).

The other way is to use the free ampsims available on the net (TSE, LePou, Nick Crow, etc.) in conjunction with boogex. For this, you don't even need to plug your guitar into the v-amp, just go directly into your soundcard. Fair warning, if your convertors are shit, then your tone most likely won't be the best. This is where getting a good interface or a DI box comes into play. For now, don't worry about it. Here's a quick tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/user/fearcomp...34/A0nVsmoiEUk - If you choose to go this route, download a plug-in version of the famous tubescreamer pedal to place in front of the ampsim to tighten up the low mids a bit. TSE 808 is the most common, and it's free: http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/f...c.php?f=8&t=36

If you have any other questions, start googling this stuff or search youtube videos, there are TONS of them out there with useful information, but there are also tons of them with bad info too. You'll learn all of this through trial and error. The best place I can direct you to is the Andy Sneap forum. Use the custom Sneap search function (http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00...09:4qw46y8lnza) to bring up all the old threads that have covered your questions already, and start reading. Open up a txt file or notepad and copy/paste all the useful info you find into a folder so you don't have to keep coming back to the same searches. Seriously, any question you might have is there and has been answered multiple times. That place is (or was), imo, the holy grail of home recording advice.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, appreciated. Will check out all your suggestions. I've already read a ton and learned a lot...i'm getting sucked into the world of home recording fast, shame on me for not doing this earlier. I've been having a blast trying different things and nerding out over this already. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
djanicar

amp is godness
djanicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
GUITAR SHREDDER
Banned

:karmajust dont plug it up through your steroe dude!
i did and a few later erased,all ,my programs,and blew the cabinets up
play through headphones
i might order a v amp 3 late,but ill through headphones only
GUITAR SHREDDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #22
coq

Re: Just ordered a v-amp 3

I think Behringer is better than its reputation. If the stuff doesn't break or arrive broken, which admittedly it does pretty frequently, some of the equipment sounds pretty good.
coq is offline   Reply With Quote