SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #91
Starbelly

Thought I would share a good recipe that I do a lot in huge bulks.

shitloads of minced meat (none of that lean shit)
4 cans of kidney beans
2 cans of chopped tomatoes, 2 cans of plum tomatoes
Two onions, half a clove of garlic, insane amount of thai chillies
cumin, sea salt, black pepper , A LOT of chilli powder, cinnamon, dark chocolate and some sweetcorn.

Serve with brown rice.

Starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #92
Ethos

my routine is really basic, but i haven't even been lifting a year yet so i'm not too worried about not having the perfect routine or w/e

it's better than what i did for the first 4-5 months lol. 6 days a week, bench/squat/dl/bench/squat/dl maxing out everyday. max effort months basically. then i started doing my 5rm on squat and 3rm on dls instead of 1rm

anyway, now i stay around 85-88% doing doubles and triples and 4-7 sets. my squats about the same as it was a few months ago but i've been improving my depth. so i went from parallel to atg with about the same weight. i'm alright with that. my bench is finally getting to a point that isn't embarassing

also, i lift 4 days a week now with an upper/lower split. bench/squat/close grip bench/deadlift. or deadlift/bench/squat/incline. always something along those lines. after squats or deads sometimes i'll take the next day off, sometimes not.
Ethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #93
Phidion

Post your tasty protein- packed recipes.

My usual last meal in the evening. Plenty of casein protein before hitting the sack.

Quark 300/500 gr
Fun light
almonds or walnuts/ sunflower seeds
frozen berries (blueberry/raspberry etc) or your favorite fruit.

Mix it up and enjoy!
Almost no fat/lots of protein and taste like a frozen dessert.
Phidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #94
Skeetsystem
Liam Neesons

LOL

Have fun with your awful farts bros
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #95
Joke Insurance
Tier

Rep Power: 0 Joke Insurance is an unknown quantity at this point
What about some recommendations on some good websites to look at for beginners who just want to eat healthier and exercise?
Joke Insurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #96
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 12 cry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura aboutcry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura about
uhhh... just eat healthier and exercise. do you need a website for that?
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #97
Joke Insurance
Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry0fth3carr0ts View Post
uhhh... just eat healthier and exercise. do you need a website for that?
That's right!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #98
AntŠos

Rep Power: 20 AntŠos will become famous soon enoughAntŠos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
That's right!
http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/Fitness#GettingStarted

Read everything. Then do it.
AntŠos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #99
Phidion

So guys how is your training going?

Have been focusing on compound movements for the past four month and less on isolation. Deads, squats, heavy rows, standing presses etc.

Together with eating plenty of quality food and getting 8 hours of sleep I managed to pack on some muscle and feel stronger overall. I still have a couple of kilos up to the hundred mark on the scale. Would be nice to get up there although im not cut (11% fat).

I think this is the strongest I have ever been.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #100
Skeetsystem
Liam Neesons

I've been dropping an iron supplement everyday and it feels good. Also, I'm starting to give my cycling mentor a run for his money as I lit him up several times yesterday. I used to sprint at 27mph, and now I'm up to 29mph.
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #101
Eternal Recurrence

During the winter I was about 207 lb at 6'0, but I've started my low-carb diet about 3 weeks ago to get ready for the summer.
TRYIN TO GET SHREDDED BRAH lol. We'll see how that'll work out haha
It's been alright so far, but I'd bet that it'll get worse during the next weeks.
That shit always fucks with my concentration and my mood.

I never felt stronger though, only downside was that my cardio almost killed me when I was thai boxing and I looked a bit too swole anyway (I'm prone as fuck to water retention).
I already lost like 11 lbs in the last two months, but I'm sure that was mostly water so far.

Last edited by Eternal Recurrence; 03-24-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Eternal Recurrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #102
AntŠos

Rep Power: 20 AntŠos will become famous soon enoughAntŠos will become famous soon enough
I'm doing bjj three times a week and crossfit sessions whenever I have the spare time. Really gave me some perspective on the whole strength training thing. I could deadlift somewhere in the 400s and my first bjj class I was choked out by a girl.

Really recommend everyone to give bjj a try, it's amazingly addictive and a great workout to boot.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #103
Phidion

Yes I┤m really thinking about starting with martial arts again. Used to do boxing seriously for many years. Should be fun to mix up the training a bit. Maybe i┤ll try bjj but I don┤t want to be choked out by a girl ;-)
Old 03-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #104
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Rep Power: 6 sara will become famous soon enoughsara will become famous soon enough
so i haven't read this thread, but how would i go about putting on weight. i want to start weight training a little just to tone up, is that the right way of going about doing that? what should i do?

last time and the first time i ever worked out, i only did weight training and ended up getting bursitis really bad. so i definitely have to work my way up and do it little by little. i just wanna appear bigger? i guess.
sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #105
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

just make sure you get a lot of protein in your diet and the most common exercises will build your core: deadlifts, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, lifts on a bar, bench press, etc... there's no magic trick.
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #106
Phidion

^^ Yes and yes.

Focus on eating to grow before you hit the weights.
Try to eat something every 2.5-3 hours and real food. Eat 200-300 grams protein per day. Take a protein shake as a complement when you don┤t have time/tired of eating. When you metabolism is making you hungry every third hour you know its time to start training.

There is tons of useful info about training on internet. Everything from beginning to more advanced...
Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #107
LesserAnimal

Rep Power: 0 LesserAnimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
so i haven't read this thread, but how would i go about putting on weight. i want to start weight training a little just to tone up, is that the right way of going about doing that? what should i do?

last time and the first time i ever worked out, i only did weight training and ended up getting bursitis really bad. so i definitely have to work my way up and do it little by little. i just wanna appear bigger? i guess.
There are a lot of resources out there. Bodybuilding.com used to have a huge database of material. It looks like it's still there, but isn't as navigable:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...orkoutPrograms

Here's a women's section, though most of these articles are probably for women wanting a trim "beach body"

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...FemaleTraining

More links:

Anatomy and Exercises

Nutrition Basics

Beginning Bodybuilding

I don't really "endorse" bodybuilding or this website, but it's a better place to start than asking Randys on a forum (myself included).

My personal nutshell:

Diet should be based on vegetables, meats, and fruits. Avoid other sugars.

If my hip were 100%, my strength training would be "functional". Something like cross-fit or the links I posted on the third page. Otherwise, right now I think the consensus is that weight lifting is good for everyone. It helps with body composition (fat/muscle) and maintaining bone mass. Learn proper form (ask for links if you need help) and increase gradually. Injuries are awful. Don't ignore joint pain.

Supplement with a quality multi-vitamin and fish oil. The Omega 3's in fish oil lower inflammation and help keep your heart healthy. Multi-Vitamins are standard advice, but I don't know of any real evidence that they improve health in the long or short term. Most multi products are really low quality and have absorption issues. Several brands sell products made with higher quality (not synthetic) nutrients, though. I'm not sure what has been used for long trials. I see taking a multi as insurance: I just want to be certain I don't have any deficiencies. For example, 100% of the multi I take is 4 capsules, so I take 1-3 capsules each day. When I used a once-daily I just took one every other day.

Best bang-for-buck multi IMO: Garden of Life's once daily

Best bang for buck fish oil IMO: Vitacost's purified

Last edited by LesserAnimal; 03-25-2012 at 01:49 AM..
LesserAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #108
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

Rep Power: 19 Cloaca will become famous soon enoughCloaca will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetsystem View Post
I've been dropping an iron supplement everyday and it feels good. Also, I'm starting to give my cycling mentor a run for his money as I lit him up several times yesterday. I used to sprint at 27mph, and now I'm up to 29mph.
Just wondering if you have any advice... which brand of bike seat do you think is the most comfortable for removing from your bike?
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #109
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Rep Power: 6 sara will become famous soon enoughsara will become famous soon enough
well shit... i don't think i'm able to even start right now because i'm barely eating from this pain medicine i'm on.. so until i got off it and switched to something else my appetitie will be fucked.
when my appetite is back to normal, i'll be back to normal how i was a few months ago and eat a bunch!

i also guess i could look into protein shakes for now especially since my lack of eating and lack of nutrients.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #110
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

Quote:

Try getting pregnant?
Popegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #111
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Quote:
well shit... i don't think i'm able to even start right now because i'm barely eating from this pain medicine i'm on.. so until i got off it and switched to something else my appetitie will be fucked.
when my appetite is back to normal, i'll be back to normal how i was a few months ago and eat a bunch!

i also guess i could look into protein shakes for now especially since my lack of eating and lack of nutrients.
smoke some weed and eat some yummy steaks !!
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #112
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

Quote:
well shit... i don't think i'm able to even start right now because i'm barely eating from this pain medicine i'm on..
..what are you taking?
Darcangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #113
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcangelo View Post
..what are you taking?
fuckin tramadol
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #114
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatiano View Post
smoke some weed and eat some yummy steaks !!
haha that's how i eat... i have to smoke to do so.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #115
The Stench of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntŠos View Post
I'm doing bjj three times a week and crossfit sessions whenever I have the spare time. Really gave me some perspective on the whole strength training thing. I could deadlift somewhere in the 400s and my first bjj class I was choked out by a girl.

Really recommend everyone to give bjj a try, it's amazingly addictive and a great workout to boot.
I used to go to a place and take 3 classes a day 3 days a week, 2 classes one day a week and a personal session on Saturdays. I weighed 135 at the time and regularly tapped out guys who were 160-180. Once I started training I saw how important your core, back and legs are.

I don't know if anyone is a Joe Rogan fan but there is a great podcast where he talks about Martial Arts.

The Stench of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #116
brett

(faggits should write their lifts)
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #117
Joke Insurance
Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntŠos View Post
Will do. Danke.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #118
AntŠos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stench of Death View Post
I used to go to a place and take 3 classes a day 3 days a week, 2 classes one day a week and a personal session on Saturdays. I weighed 135 at the time and regularly tapped out guys who were 160-180. Once I started training I saw how important your core, back and legs are.

I don't know if anyone is a Joe Rogan fan but there is a great podcast where he talks about Martial Arts.

Fuck yeah, I love those clips. Big fan of Rogan, I would love to sit and have a conversation with that guy at some point.

So you don't train anymore? Why not? I'm going on 7 months and it's still one of the best decisions I've made in my life.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #119
ziel

For those of you training/have trained BJJ...any advice for someone who is thinking about getting into it?

I've been interested in starting for a couple months now...just waiting until I finish moving and seeing how my money situation is. In the mean time I'd like to figure out some sort of exercises I could do to help because it seems like all of BJJ requires another person to practice any sort of moves (makes sense of course). I've picked up "Jiu-Jitsu University" already and have been meaning to start reading it more closely (been pretty busy with school and work).

Also the fact that Robson Moura's gym is about less than an hour away makes me want to get into it even more.
ziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #120
AntŠos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziel View Post
For those of you training/have trained BJJ...any advice for someone who is thinking about getting into it?

I've been interested in starting for a couple months now...just waiting until I finish moving and seeing how my money situation is. In the mean time I'd like to figure out some sort of exercises I could do to help because it seems like all of BJJ requires another person to practice any sort of moves (makes sense of course). I've picked up "Jiu-Jitsu University" already and have been meaning to start reading it more closely (been pretty busy with school and work).

Also the fact that Robson Moura's gym is about less than an hour away makes me want to get into it even more.
Oh man, Robson is an artist. I'm extremely envious.

My best advice happens to also be the only advice: just go. Unless you wrestled in high school, the first 6 months of BJJ is going to be your unmaking at the hands of really friendly gravity magicians. You can familiarize yourself with the lingo a bit (i.e. know the difference between side control and closed guard), but the actual coordination work is a matter of learning by doing.

If you're really into it you can watch some solo mobility drills here:

And if you're really hardcore, befriend a wrestler and ask him to teach you the basics of grappling. But the most important thing is that you go, BJJ is an amazing thing to be involved with and I hope you end up doing it.