SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Black Metal Discussion

Black Metal Discussion corpse paint sold separately

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 09-07-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
dark dust

Euronymous' guitar technique.

Yeah, I've posted this topic at some other metal board. But since no one really helped and chose to comment on lack of orginality and saying Euronymous was horrible, I figured I would get more help from an actual Mayhem board.

I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and I'm starting to develop some skill at it. I decided now was the time to get more serious about finding a guitar player to influence my style myself.

After listening to Live in Leipzig and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas an uncountable number of times, and heavily reading material concerning Mayhem, Dead, and Euronymous, I decided that I should use Euronymous as a central style, and build on his particular style and add more range.

But after looking through several websites, I have not found anything about his style aside from the odd 'necro' style he played with.

And since he died young, I've never seen any video of Euronymous playing. At the moment I am at a loss. I have no idea how he played his instrument. All I have are recordings of music and a few photos of the man playing.

So I decided to post this topic to see if any of the users here would know of his playing style. This was one of the more likely places I could think of. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
dark dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Reincremation
deranged from bud

You may want to choose a different, more convenient guitar hero. How about Jon from Dissection or Abbath from Immortal?
Reincremation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #3
nidhogg

I don't believe Euronymous released any "learn to play vidios" like Yngve Malmsaten, Steve Vai and all those fagoths

Why do you need to se him play? To play like him, you will have to listen to what he plays, not look at it.

Listen, and try to make the same sounds.
nidhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:51 AM   #4
dark dust

I probably will take something from hearing Abbath play, but I've only heard a few Immortal songs. Been meaning to buy some Immortal ablums, but I don't have much money lately.

And nidhogg, you make a good point. Hearing him play is a lot more important than getting to see him play. But sometimes for me to effectively learn something, I have to see the fingers on the guitar neck, see how he puts them on the frets and strings and such.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
FFF

Newbie's life is hard. Get used to it.
FFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
Deathfuck

Wilst some may say, "oh euro he was the most influencial guitar player ever", infact he really didnt do anything bathory hadnt done. Someone mentioned jon of dissection or immortal (yes demomaz had a pretty unqiue style also) - these are some people you can consider inventive.

Try learning some songs like:

(Demonaz) - Immortal - "Mountains of Might"
(Jon) - Dissection - "Night's blood"
(Abbath) - Immortal - "Withstand the fall of time"

And while i know i will get flamed for saying this, but these guys catch more crap than they need because of that horrible lie known as "lords of kaos" - dimmu borgir's guitar work from stormblast is a pretty new style also... more of a slower work. Despite acting "fake" or whatever, and yes they are mainstream i guess, they are one of the most taleneted bands out there today.

Last edited by Deathfuck; 09-08-2004 at 09:57 PM..
Deathfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:07 AM   #7
DawnOfFlames

Quote:
Originally posted by dark dust
I probably will take something from hearing Abbath play, but I've only heard a few Immortal songs. Been meaning to buy some Immortal ablums, but I don't have much money lately.

And nidhogg, you make a good point. Hearing him play is a lot more important than getting to see him play. But sometimes for me to effectively learn something, I have to see the fingers on the guitar neck, see how he puts them on the frets and strings and such.
you can get you hands on the famous rehersal video online. there's one on ebay this week. or go to blackmetaldvds.com . it's not great quality (being 14 years old and shot with a home camera) but it's cool to have. Oystein didn't have an abnormal playing style or technique. he just play his guitar. and why model your style around his? get in the niche of your own. take in a lot from other as infulences in style and such. but don't try to mimic it. in no doubt his music (and necrobutcher- seeing how he wrote the riffs too.) influenced me but don't try to mimic his stlye of actually holding the guitar and whatever. hold it and play it as to what is comfortable to you.
DawnOfFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:38 AM   #8
dark dust

Well, FFF. I may be a newbie, but if your a vet or whatever the hell you want to call yourself, I'm not sure I want to be as experienced as you. You obviously have a lot of free time on your hands, and you feel the need to prove a superiorty over others maybe.

Anyway. DawnOfFlames, you are right. If you base a style completely after someone else, then you come off as bland and unorginal. I am more after having my own style, but still being influenced quite a bit by Euronymous and Necrobutcher's style, like you are. Unfortunatly Euronymous never showed a large range on his guitar. But I don't plan on being influenced completely on just Euronymous and Necrobutcher, also Opeth and many others.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
FFF

Deathfuck:

Immortal "catches crap" because they are sell outs (we'll who knows if they were wannabe rock stars even in the beginning?).

Nödveit has had his own little "mistakes" but I for one am willing to forget these and see what have they come up with. Or maybe I should be afraid of the Return...

dark dust:

I don't know much about animals so you can't really call me a "vet". Hell, you'll never be as experienced as me (even though my experience is very limited) as you'll grow up in a couple of years and take more healthy hobby than "Black" Metal. I don't need to prove my superiority, it shows itself (when I will allow it and not only use it to joke about you kids).

You kids should really first try to learn something about Black Metal and study it before even wondering who'll be your ultimate Black Metal idol and starting that lousy bedroom Black Metal band which releases a demo or two which are pure shit and only your friends will like them (and some of them are lying). If you really are into Black Metal, there's no rush, you have plenty of time (the rest of your pathethic life) to use on practising guitar playing etc.
FFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #10
WARREN

HE JUST HAD A KNACK OF COMMING UP WITH GREAT RIFFS IN MY OPINION...VERY FAST PICKING TOO...THE SPEED ON DEATHCRUSH(NECROLUST) HAS YET TO BE MATCHED.....YEARS AHEAD OF ITS TIME.....
WARREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 PM   #11
Deathfuck

Quote:
Originally posted by dark dust
Deathfuck:

Immortal "catches crap" because they are sell outs (we'll who knows if they were wannabe rock stars even in the beginning?).

Nödveit has had his own little "mistakes" but I for one am willing to forget these and see what have they come up with. Or maybe I should be afraid of the Return...
Well considering i was talking about dimmu borgir selling out...

Anyways, immortal still has better guitars then mayhem, imo.
Deathfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
Sebultura

I really like that rehearsal with Euronymous on guitar (as I like Euronymous himself as a musician...), but honestly, except the solo part of that rehearsal of Necrolust, I must say that I play at same speed - if not much more... What I try to say here is that I'm not a pro at guitar, but I don't find this too amazing.... fro instance, just listen to "Emperor - Imperial Live Ceremony" & get tabs to see the work behind it ==> completly great I think !
Sebultura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
requiem
odium humani generis

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathfuck
Well considering i was talking about dimmu borgir selling out...

Anyways, immortal still has better guitars then mayhem, imo.
Abbath better than Blasphemer? Where's the laugh my head off emoticon?

Abbath was a guitarist who wrote some fantastic riffs, but he was nothing special technically. Demonaz was better, but even he didn't reach the skill of Blasphemer. Demonaz and Euronymous were on about a par.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #14
Nordvang

Older Mayhem riffs arent too hard to play. You can learn how to play De Mysteriis songs fairly easily, providing that your tremolo technique is fairly steady..
This does not mean that De Mysteriis is a bad album though. Eventhough it is fairly simple, at least compared to later Mayhem albums, it has a lot of energy in it..

If you want to start learning a song from De Mysteriis, I would recommend Cursed In Eternity. Not too complicated and it uses a variety of techniques.
If you are just starting, get GuitarPro and download the song from www.mysongbook.com

Good luck!

Next step is learning A View From Nihil :)
Nordvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:32 PM   #15
C(o)unt Jedah

Euronymus wasn't an exceptional guitar player , he his fast that's true and his ideas on riffs were easy but really efectives, I'd prefer Blasphemer
C(o)unt Jedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #16
Arajz

Quote:
Originally posted by C(o)unt Jedah
I'd prefer Blasphemer
okay people...that's enough....I know you probably don't care..
anyway....I'm leving this forum...

fuck you trendies,wannabes,fisting all gays,bigheadWarren and other smartasses.
Arajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #17
ZliCke
Trollbunden

Noone will ever miss you

Bye..
ZliCke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:47 PM   #18
kida

euro played his gibson les paul with a metal coin...
kida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #19
Minurath
d'Gecalengierde

Quote:
Originally posted by nidhogg
I don't believe Euronymous released any "learn to play vidios" like Yngve Malmsaten, Steve Vai and all those fagoths

Why do you need to se him play? To play like him, you will have to listen to what he plays, not look at it.

Listen, and try to make the same sounds.
hear hear, a true musician has to hear what he has to play, not see how somebody played it before you. This is still a way of being influenced by some musician, but u develop ur own way of playing it.. grow some originality :p
Minurath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #20
Minurath
d'Gecalengierde

Quote:
Originally posted by C(o)unt Jedah
Euronymus wasn't an exceptional guitar player , he his fast that's true and his ideas on riffs were easy but really efectives, I'd prefer Blasphemer
It was also never his point of developing a fantastic technique, he only cared about the atmosphere he could create with his music.. as he has said a thousand times
Minurath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #21
AugmentedHat

Until The Light Takes Us

Has anyone seen this film yet? When Fenriz talks about Euroinymous guitar technique, he says he was the one who invented the black metal riff. He also descibes hoe it was played, but in a very confusing way "You have a chord, you don't play one and one, you play one and one up and down so the notes sting together."

Does anyone know, in simple terms, what this means?
AugmentedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #22
AugmentedHat

Until The Light Takes Us

Has anyone seen this film yet? When Fenriz talks about Euroinymous guitar technique, he says he was the one who invented the black metal riff. He also descibes hoe it was played, but in a very confusing way "You have a chord, you don't play one and one, you play one and one up and down so the notes string together."

Does anyone know, in simple terms, what this means?
AugmentedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
novareaper
¯\(°_o)/¯

broken chords lol

black metal guitarists suck dick
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #24
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

que?
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
bilug

Double pick until your hand falls off....
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #26
Grindhead Records
Designated Driver

Teloch is cool.
Just sayin'
Grindhead Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #27
Chromaticity
erusredsteregi

Euronymous fanboys who are still obsessed over him are idiots. This thread is truly headache-inducing too. Why would anyone bump this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
Clueless, brain-dead moron.
Chromaticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
Vriend
Afro Dog

Go Chromaticity!
Vriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
RobertsTheCoolest

bro this is a real mayhem forum
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #30
Naitz
Grim Fandango

WTF this has to be the worst thread ever.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote