SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Between The Buried And Me > General Chat

Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #151
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

Shauncore is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it was one of the best films I've seen in years. Ending was great. Good twist at the end. Wish Banes death would have been better, but it was pretty clever giving him a quick death after all the buildup. Tatia was such a dumb character and Marion Coulter or whatever is not a good actress.

Bale killed it as batman as usual. He is easily the best person to play the character. While Bane isn't as good a character as Joker is, he was a better villan. Ledger played his respective role off the chart, but Bane was smarter, more lethal, and just overall and better villan which made the fight scenes better.

Tom Hardy was spectacular. Although hard to hear obviously, the excitement to kill at times in his voice was scary as hell.

10/10 no question
I don't check this board much due to disappointing topics. But, I 'm gonna go ahead and say Fuck you to the Shauncore kid.
Shauncore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #152
phagist_
scatter the ember

phagist_ will become famous soon enoughphagist_ will become famous soon enough
horrible ending, too predictable. bane's death was shit and so was the "twist". first half of the movie kicked ass second half let it down immensely.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #153
label thief
find them, kill them

label thief is an unknown quantity at this point
lol @ people down talking this movie.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #154
teh Mazn
Jawbreakers. Mmm.

teh Mazn is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Avstin View Post
lol'd fuck da softies

no, you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
I'm pretty sure the sound of Mason's fist busting that kids jaw was one-of-a-kind, just like he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme. View Post
this nigga said catlace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prayer View Post
I'm sure he's not really worried. Mason is as far from a faggot as you can get. Mason's fucked hotter.
teh Mazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #155
mcweezlestein

mcweezlestein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by label thief View Post
There are so many flaws with this movie I don't know where to begin. It's a good movie but it was not up to Nolan's standards.
mcweezlestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #156
Iain Avstin

Iain Avstin is on a distinguished road
Iain Avstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #157
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcweezlestein View Post
There are so many flaws with this movie I don't know where to begin. It's a good movie but it was not up to Nolan's standards.
I need to hear what you disliked. Except for maybe Bane's voice/overacting, I think this movie was perfect in every way.

And by the way...how badass was this sequence

I don't check this board much due to disappointing topics. But, I 'm gonna go ahead and say Fuck you to the Shauncore kid.

Last edited by Shauncore; 07-23-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #158
mcweezlestein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncore View Post
I need to hear what you disliked. Except for maybe Bane's voice/overacting, I think this movie was perfect in every way.

And by the way...how badass was this sequence

Here is a post from another forum where it pretty much sums up how I feel.

Bad/cheesy dialogue- Some cheesiness is to be expected but there are some awful lines as well as just some awkward and very wooden sounding dialogue.

Stuff that just didn't make any sense- Batman is stuck on a road with about a thousand police officers chasing him and he stops, they stop, then they just stare at him while he turns the conveniently-placed truck into a ramp and drives off. Then there's the scene at the end where they need to get the big *** nuclear bomb to the one place but instead of having Selina Kyle, Gordon, or Batman try to get in the truck and drive it to where it needs to be, they decide to shoot rockets at the truck holding the bomb that could destroy the city.

Terrible, terrible fight scenes- Christopher Nolan and his fight choreographer apparently haven't learned a damn thing since the last movie cause these fight scenes were awful. Except for the very end when Bane got his mask messed up and fought wild, it looked like everyone was just walking through the fights. Everyone moved extremely slow, you could actually see the punches being pulled, and everything just lacked any feeling of impact.

Random characters popping up out of nowhere, then disappearing- Maybe the Daggett guy was in the first movie and I just forgot but how do you have him and his weird looking buddy show up as the early antagonists without introducing them? I had no idea who those two guys were but it seemed like we were supposed to know beforehand.

Alfred's whining and running away- This was just annoying

The Spielberg-esque ending- I didn't want Batman to die but if you're going to do all this set-up about him not fearing. then later on fearing, death and how he needs to sacrifice everything, don't make this big happy ending where everything works out in the end. Oh yeah, and the guy that everyone thought was Robin just happened to be named Robin even though Nolan talked **** about the character since the first one came out.

Seemingly every major character knowing Batman's identity- There was pretty much no reason for Bruce Wayne to even wear a mask since everyone was able to guess who Batman was.

Bane sounding like his mask was a loudspeaker- This one is nitpicky but it seemed like after the first cut where the executives complained about Bane's voice not being audible enough, Nolan just said **** it and made Bane's voice as loud as he possibly could. It didn't even sound like it was coming from Tom Hardy's mouth, it always sounded like he was a narrator yelling over everything.

The overt political statement- It was easy to ignore in The Dark Knight but this just beat you over the head with the message Nolan was trying to make. I won't say anything else about it but it got extremely irritating.

Oh and I almost forgot about Bruce Wayne somehow walking from a prison in some random country in the middle of nowhere all the way back to America and Gotham. With as long as this movie is, they could've taken some time to explain how the hell he got back.

In my ranking of Christopher Nolan movies, this is at the bottom.

Last edited by mcweezlestein; 07-23-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #159
guitarplaya18

guitarplaya18 is on a distinguished road
I agree with all of that. Still loved the movie.

New Not Shit Band (Music Soon): www.fictionsband.bandcamp.com
guitarplaya18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #160
pumpkinsfan460
87 Hetfield

pumpkinsfan460 is on a distinguished road
Great film and I enjoyed all the stuff related to the first film. Kinda pissed Nolan made JGL's character into a new Robin when he said he wouldn't have anything related to Robin and a few people in my theater clapped when they said his actual first and I wanted to slap them.
pumpkinsfan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #161
Durchfall

Durchfall is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsfan460 View Post
Great film and I enjoyed all the stuff related to the first film. Kinda pissed Nolan made JGL's character into a new Robin when he said he wouldn't have anything related to Robin and a few people in my theater clapped when they said his actual first and I wanted to slap them.
Yea people clapped at mine too.

So Nolan is done with Batman and all related stuff right? So I guess he just left it open like that at the end for other directors to possibly build upon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipants View Post
If he goes down on one knee it's a fail
If she goes down on two it's a win
Durchfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #162
~~~
harderator

~~~ is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen it yet so I haven't read any of the posts above.

Like 5 of my friends said it was Inception meets Batman because of the directing/score/cast. Confirm/deny?
~~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #163
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

Bad/cheesy dialogue- Some cheesiness is to be expected but there are some awful lines as well as just some awkward and very wooden sounding dialogue.

A little vague. Thought the dialogue was good. Didn't have any Arnold Schwarzenegger cheesey lines in it.

Stuff that just didn't make any sense- Batman is stuck on a road with about a thousand police officers chasing him and he stops, they stop, then they just stare at him while he turns the conveniently-placed truck into a ramp and drives off.

Police had him surrounded and guns pointing at him. The basic protocol for chasing a criminal. And what was Batman supposed to do? Just let the cops arrest him. Dude is slick and intuitive.

Then there's the scene at the end where they need to get the big *** nuclear bomb to the one place but instead of having Selina Kyle, Gordon, or Batman try to get in the truck and drive it to where it needs to be, they decide to shoot rockets at the truck holding the bomb that could destroy the city.

And Gordon did try to get into the truck if I recall. They had tumblers surrounding the truck so they had to take those out with The Bat first then they tried to enter the truck. The tumblers would have just shot at whatever vehicle they used to approach the truck with the two big ass guns each one has.

Terrible, terrible fight scenes- Christopher Nolan and his fight choreographer apparently haven't learned a damn thing since the last movie cause these fight scenes were awful. Except for the very end when Bane got his mask messed up and fought wild, it looked like everyone was just walking through the fights. Everyone moved extremely slow, you could actually see the punches being pulled, and everything just lacked any feeling of impact.

I still think the first Bane/Batman fight scene was waaaay badass. Bale did an awesome job showing how tired and out of shape Batman was from the 8 year lay off. You could see him going full effort on punches but them barely making an impact on Bane. There really weren't very many fight scenes in this movie though. The Batman/Catwoman fight scene after she escapes Daggets was pretty good too.

Random characters popping up out of nowhere, then disappearing- Maybe the Daggett guy was in the first movie and I just forgot but how do you have him and his weird looking buddy show up as the early antagonists without introducing them? I had no idea who those two guys were but it seemed like we were supposed to know beforehand.

No they were both new characters introduced. Daggett owned the construction company that Bane overtook to pour cement/dig around the city. Also construction companies would have had tunnel records and such. They weren't really set up as antagonist I don't think. More like henchmen. They used Selina to get Waynes finger prints, because Bane paid them to, to forge his stock transfers so he'd go bankrupt then Bane killed Dagget and let the other guy go. Just tying up a lose end.

Alfred's whining and running away- This was just annoying

And Alfred has good reason to run away. I won't get into it because it's a fifty paragraph explanation but definitely a valid response.

The Spielberg-esque ending- I didn't want Batman to die but if you're going to do all this set-up about him not fearing. then later on fearing, death and how he needs to sacrifice everything, don't make this big happy ending where everything works out in the end.

Bruce Wayne never really needed to sacrifice everything for the city. It was always Batman who thought he owed the city everything and hence Batman died. Bruce Wayne dying didn't necessarily mean anything, but Batman dying did, but Bruce dying allowed him to escape Gotham and not need Batman/Gotham anymore. There has always been the talk of Gotham no longing needing Batman, then Bruce could marry Rachael Dawes and be himself, but that would never come as long as Batman existed because Bruce would always want to be Batman. Gotham no longer needed Batman because he didn't exist anymore. That's why Bruce passed his legacy onto Detective Blake. Gotham no longer needed Batman, so Bruce Wayne no longer needed to be Batman.

The ending is thought to be ambiguous by some, but its pretty clear that Batman died, Alfred sees Bruce at the restaurant like he imagines, and Selina and Bruce run away together.

Oh yeah, and the guy that everyone thought was Robin just happened to be named Robin even though Nolan talked **** about the character since the first one came out.

Yeah that is true. Nolan said he'd be out if Robin was ever included. While Robin isn't exactly in the movie, I guess he sort of is.

Seemingly every major character knowing Batman's identity- There was pretty much no reason for Bruce Wayne to even wear a mask since everyone was able to guess who Batman was.

Only 5 people knew:

Bane (because of Al Ghul)
Catwoman (overheard Bane)
Fox
Gordon (didn't figure out until the end when Batman mentioned putting the coat around him when he was a kid)
Alfred (duh)
James Blake (figured it out because he went through the same thing as a kid)

I guess you could include Miranda Tate too, but she would have been told by Bane/Al Ghul.

That still leaves out the other 9 million people in Gotham and billion other people in the US.

Bane sounding like his mask was a loudspeaker- This one is nitpicky but it seemed like after the first cut where the executives complained about Bane's voice not being audible enough, Nolan just said **** it and made Bane's voice as loud as he possibly could. It didn't even sound like it was coming from Tom Hardy's mouth, it always sounded like he was a narrator yelling over everything.

Thought it was an okay mix between the muzzleness that the mask created and clearness that we would want out of a main character. Definitely at times it was hard to make out a couple words though.

The overt political statement- It was easy to ignore in The Dark Knight but this just beat you over the head with the message Nolan was trying to make. I won't say anything else about it but it got extremely irritating.

Nolan has said a few times that he wasn't trying to make any political statement at all. You could argue about capitalism or gun control or violence etc but I think it is just a superhero movie. No more of a message than Avengers/Superman/etc

Oh and I almost forgot about Bruce Wayne somehow walking from a prison in some random country in the middle of nowhere all the way back to America and Gotham. With as long as this movie is, they could've taken some time to explain how the hell he got back.

The prison was in Mexico. And he obviously didn't walk, and would have had plenty of time.

He was imprisoned with 5+ months left on the bomb, took 2-3 months to heal, would have left him with 2 months to return to Gotham. I'm sure he would be able to find a phone in Mexico and get a ride.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #164
pumpkinsfan460
87 Hetfield

Jesus Christ is that retarded to read since it seems you're disagreeing with yourself. The only thing I'll comment on right now is that I'm 99% sure the prison wasn't in Mexico...Pretty sure it was supposed to be somewhere near or in the Middle East and I think it was India? While it was a little bit of a stretch to have him almost all of a sudden back in Gotham especially w/o his fortune anymore, I think it was more of a nod to where he was in Batman Begins with little to no money traveling around and whatnot.

Regardless, not Mexico.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #165
guitarplaya18

guitarplaya18 is on a distinguished road
It seems like a lot more people would have been happy had Nolan made it a little more obvious the last half of the movie takes place over a 5 month span (aside from the last half hour or so)

New Not Shit Band (Music Soon): www.fictionsband.bandcamp.com
guitarplaya18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #166
mcweezlestein

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplaya18 View Post
It seems like a lot more people would have been happy had Nolan made it a little more obvious the last half of the movie takes place over a 5 month span (aside from the last half hour or so)
This. The whole transition from 5 months to 12 days to 18 hours was done horribly.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #167
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplaya18 View Post
How was it not obvious?

The Dr said to Bane that is should hold for 5 months. Bane said hopefully it does. It went from Late Summer to Winter.

Figured the snow on the ground was a give away since it didn't snow any other time. During the bar room shootout where Catwoman escape it is raining actually.

Short of having a 24 Jack Bauer time clock running at the bottom how else were they supposed to show time lapse?

Showed the change of seasons
The population looting
The court cases
Batman's back healing
Batman trying to climb out

Thought it was obvious that it was a timespan.

And in regards to the prison there are so many damn interpretations from it.

I've read a few about it being in Mexico but there has been speculation of it being in the Caribbeans if you follow the comic books, Albania, India, and even Africa.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #168
Alec

Alec is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I've read a few about it being in Mexico but there has been speculation of it being in the Caribbeans if you follow the comic books, Albania, India, and even Africa.
The exterior location was shot in India.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #169
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
The exterior location was shot in India.
So the rest of the movie took place in Pittsburgh?

I admit I have no idea where the Pit was supposed to be, but it's never fully said.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #170
Alec

Alec is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So the rest of the movie took place in Pittsburgh?

I admit I have no idea where the Pit was supposed to be, but it's never fully said.
I'm just saying it was, fuck off.

How does it make as much sense that Gotham is actually Pittsburgh as there being obviously Indian architecture and terrain in Mexico?

Last edited by Alec; 07-26-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #171
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
I'm just saying it was, fuck off.

How does it make as much sense that Gotham is actually Pittsburgh as there being obviously Indian architecture and terrain in Mexico?

Because that is just where Nolan shot it at. He looked at the Turda Salt Mines as well. It was just a backdrop that got maybe 2 seconds of screen time. Nothing worth arguing about so I'm done.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #172
pumpkinsfan460
87 Hetfield

All I'm saying regardless of where it was shot(which yes, was in India), there's no way it's supposed to be Mexico. They(Alfred maybe?) said it was somewhere far away and I believe might've mentioned middle east but at least far away. I don't think anyone in the US(I know Gotham is fictional but it's set in the US) considers Mexico to be a "far away place."

I would also assume that wherever the prison is supposed to be in, is at least somewhere near where he did his training with Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins. That was set in Bhutan, which makes a whole lot of sense for the prison to actually be in or around India as well.

My main point though is that Mexico is a retarded guess where the prison is.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #173
mcweezlestein

Quote:
Because that is just where Nolan shot it at. He looked at the Turda Salt Mines as well. It was just a backdrop that got maybe 2 seconds of screen time. Nothing worth arguing about so I'm done.
The prison is not in Mexico.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #174
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by label thief View Post
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #175
phish
Resident Peen

phish is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I understood the prison was Uzbekistan? Ras Al Ghul fell in love with an Uzbeki woman, so that's what I got...
phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #176
Apprntly a Bot

Apprntly a Bot is on a distinguished road
Uzbeki-beki-beki-stan-stan you insensitive prick.

I am just happy that Bane broke Batman's back, was afraid they weren't going to show that. Other than that the movie was, well, pretty much what I expected. Probably won't watch it again.

Lewis Thomas
Apprntly a Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #177
Savior
HOI HOI

Savior is on a distinguished road
Watching Shauncore get told he's wrong is always very entertaining to me.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #178
Shauncore
I <3 BASEBALLS

It's because I'm always right. Nobody can prove that the prison was in India. I think the prison was on the moon. Or at Kauffman stadium. Or Masons basement.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #179
Obswalq
kickin in windows

Obswalq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savior View Post
Watching Shauncore get told he's wrong is always very entertaining to me.

"To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea."
-Siv During Livh, a psychologist and expert on sex fantasies

Obswalq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #180
Dustee Btbam

Dustee Btbam is on a distinguished road
\m/
Dustee Btbam is offline   Reply With Quote