SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 10-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Guitar problem

The top couple strings on my guitar always go out of tune (even after I changed them), and certain frets just don't sound good at all, they buzz or make a dull twang instead of ringing clearly. I read that when you're changing strings, you shouldn't take them all off at once, but unfortunately I think I did that a few times before hearing that. I suspect I warped the neck. Does this sound like the issue? And more importantly, how do I fix it? If I remember correctly, I brought it into a guitar store once and the clerk looked down the neck and said he thought it looked fine and he didn't know what the issue was...
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
rippedflesh89

to me, it sounds like you might need a truss rod adjustment.... its possible that your guitar has some bad frets, but more likely that your truss rod just needs to be loosened a little
rippedflesh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
TheBlackFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
The top couple strings on my guitar always go out of tune (even after I changed them), and certain frets just don't sound good at all, they buzz or make a dull twang instead of ringing clearly. I read that when you're changing strings, you shouldn't take them all off at once, but unfortunately I think I did that a few times before hearing that. I suspect I warped the neck. Does this sound like the issue? And more importantly, how do I fix it? If I remember correctly, I brought it into a guitar store once and the clerk looked down the neck and said he thought it looked fine and he didn't know what the issue was...
If you're having dead notes or buzzing only on certain frets you may have a high fret or two. If that's the case you'll need to get the frets leveled and re-crowned plus a setup.

You may just need a setup. How much relief do you have in the neck now?
TheBlackFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

I don't know, I'm a n00b at maintaining the guitar, I've never touched the truss rod. I've heard you can damage the guitar if you do the wrong thing so I haven't messed with it yet...I'm sure I could figure it out though.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Changing strings doesn't usually cause your guitar neck to warp. Do you have a floyd rose? If you do, the reason for changing the strings one at a time is so you don't relieve the tension in the neck. This is fixable, it's just a major pain in the ass. Also, check your neck for cracks or any kind of noticeable damage.

A truss rod adjustment is the first thing you might need to do. After that, set your string height and then intonation. Check out these videos for some help.

Changing strings on a floyd rose (this may not apply to you): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_q2w...eature=related

this is part 1 of 4. just follow the links on youtube for the rest of it.

Truss rod adjustment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GD7zXzkrdM

Setting intonation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVRC...eature=related

EDIT: If you're too afraid of making things worse, take it to a professional (someone who DOESN'T work at Sam Ash!). Fair warning: If you have a floyd rose and take it to a tech, he's going to overcharge you (around $70). Do not be afraid to ask him his experience with working with floyd roses (some of them get pretty annoyed when you do, but that isn't your fault). Take this as a learning experience. Pay what he's asking but ask him a million questions about what he did. This way you can have some advice to fall back on if and when it comes time for you to fix it yourself. This will help you learn how to properly take care of your instrument and it will save you from tons of headaches/$$$ in the future.

These three things are crucial to minimizing fret buzz and/or dead spots. Re-crowning is usually a last resort, but I don't know how old your guitar is or how often you play it.

Remember, electric guitars will always have some amount of buzz occurring but you want to minimize this as much as possible. Once you've set it up properly, pay attention to the way you pick the strings and your fretting hand as well because your technique plays a big part in this too. Don't depress the strings so that they go out of tune slightly or pick hard enough to where it causes your string to buzz. Tone is in your fingers.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 10-25-2010 at 11:22 AM..
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
TheBlackFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
I don't know, I'm a n00b at maintaining the guitar, I've never touched the truss rod. I've heard you can damage the guitar if you do the wrong thing so I haven't messed with it yet...I'm sure I could figure it out though.
I would recommend getting a book about guitar repair or more specifically books that solely show you how to setup your guitar. I personally read Dan Erlewine's books on repair.

And I would agree with Chaapy and take the guitar to a real guitar tech/luthier and get them to show you how to measure relief and correcting too much forward-bow and back-bow via using the truss-rod. Plus action height and intonation adjustment is very critical imo to learn as well. I still feel if you have dead notes or uncontrollable buzzing on certain frets rather than positions, you most likely have a high fret or more.

And chaapy makes the best point on the last paragraph. Your playing style will affect how much string noise there is going to be.

Last edited by TheBlackFlux; 10-25-2010 at 12:13 PM..
TheBlackFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

I guess I shouldn't have said bad frets, because it's only the couple highest (in frequency) strings that do this.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll try those things out.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
alexmabbitt

it may be a normal FretBUZZ you can fix it no worries at all, also check the action and intonation!
alexmabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
GUITAR SHREDDER
Banned

Thumbs up

never take all the strings off at one time!
that could cause the guitar to warp!!!!!!!!!!!!
i put three new strings on my esp,e,b,and g one at a time!
take to a music shop and tell them to mew strings on it and finely tune the noation,and readust the bridge!tell them standard tuneing,but it might cost 50 bucks!i had my guitar worked on 30,!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GUITAR SHREDDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
ghto333

Its simply that you must change the strings and hope your guitar problem is automatically solve and produced a good heart touching sound..Which brand of the guitar are you use?
ghto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
scousegrindcore

Sounds like you need a set up with truss rod adjustment to me. You could try and save money by doing it yourself but I wouldn't recommend it, I screwed up the neck on my old Charvel back in the day trying to fix it myself. Set ups are relatively inexpensive in a decent guitar shop.
scousegrindcore is offline   Reply With Quote