SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #4951
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about
I'm pretty sure Samuel Jackson is black and Tommy Lee Jones is white.

Is this a movie without any logical premise?
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #4952
Sculpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by discombobulation View Post
I'm pretty sure Samuel Jackson is black and Tommy Lee Jones is white.
I'm pretty sure that's only on the outside.
Sculpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #4953
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
i just tried to watch it and have to agree. one of the worst "films" i ever saw. one of the reviews at imdb said it best: "it could've been a hilarious 5min short" (or something like that). but there's literally no reason for this movie to exist. and both of those "no reason" monologues were awfully written, nonsensical and retarded. bleh
Agreed. Definitely the worst movie I've ever seen
Popegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #4954
Infidelis
W.A.S.T.E.

Quote:

Is this a movie without any logical premise?
although race is involved its more about redemption than anything else
Infidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #4955
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about
hahah at the Rubber hate.

I agree it's probably a very divisive movie.

If you watch it the whole way through, you do end up empathising with the tire as it gains a personality of its own. The point that was being made was that you could replace any standard serial killer in a film with an archetypal fucking tire and still retain impact (which it did, at least to me). The side story was admittedly a bit retarded, but helped maintain momentum I think - because without that it would literally have been replacing your standard protagonist with a tire. The side story makes it decisively surreal/silly from the start, and sets the tone for the movie. There are also lots of small details in the execution that make it enjoyable to watch, quite a few homages to genre clichés in there too.

But whatever, I get how many will just not click with it.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #4956
siegewar
ugay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Recurrence View Post
+1

I enjoyed it so much that I watched it again in the theater a few weeks ago.
Made me realize that it's a movie you should better watch on your own, though. A lot of people were laughing at some scenes that weren't even funny, just because they felt uncomfortable, I guess. I don't think I laughed once, the first time I saw it on my own.
Watched this last night. Agree it should be watched alone, though I did laugh at his sister walking in on him pulling off and the bar scene where he tells the dude what he wants to do to his girlfriend.

It's a very well done movie. Can't think of anything that would give away whether or not he had some sort of sexual relationship with his sister in the past, or what exactly happened to them. He obviously does care about her, but also keeps a distance (shame from the past? is he afraid his addiction will take over and he might try something? or is it just his personality?) I don't quite get the significance of the lady on the subway at the beginning and end, further than it being used to create an ambiguous ending as to whether or not he follows her (an indicator of where he is with his sexual addiction I guess). His sister still cuts so maybe he's still a sex addict.

I really liked the style, setting, music, etc. Sort of dark and somber, but not overly so. Fassbender is a great actor. Can't wait to see how he is in Prometheus.

Last edited by siegewar; 05-19-2012 at 10:28 PM..
siegewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #4957
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough

I watched the first 45 minutes or so and found it impossible to care about whether Neeson or any of the other cunts lived or died. Usually I would've stuck it out until the end but by this time it was 1am and sleep seemed like a better option.

I understand it's got some pretty good reviews on here but I was instantly put off by the cheesy, cliched opening monologue, and the alpha male main character concept. Maybe it gets better later on, but there was nothing to pique my attention early on.

EDIT: I await being told why I'm wrong.

Last edited by Cognitive Defeat; 05-20-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #4958
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

You're wrong because Liam Neeson.

No but I haven't seen it either, and if it's just more of the one-note acting (though good), it isn't going to do anything for me either.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #4959
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 22 De Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really nice
Quote:

No but I haven't seen it either, and if it's just more of the one-note acting (though good), it isn't going to do anything for me either.
Quote:
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #4960
Skeetsystem
Liam Neesons

Not their best, but not disappointed. Also, it never feels right when Miyazaki uses modern times as his setting.
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #4961
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 16 Vadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the rough

Was pleasantly surprised by this. Not usually a big Rudd fan but he was perfectly cast here. A charming, witty and quite funny movie with a pretty hot female supporting cast
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #4962
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

awesome movie. pacing is really well done
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #4963
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Tyrannosaur (2011)

Deadly movie. Has the dark vibes of Paddy Considine all over it (he wrote + directed it), pure grit. Fantastic acting by the two main protagonists. Some tasteful cinematography and a highly fitting bleak tone to it as well. Some over-use of non-diegetic sound where impact could have been a a bit better without it, pretty much the only complaint I could offer.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #4964
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Some over-use of non-diegetic sound where impact could have been a a bit better without it, pretty much the only complaint I could offer.
Any examples of particular scenes? I'm trying to think back.

I think it could've been too kitchen-sink if the audience wasn't slightly detached from the world. I think with gritty films like this, a sense of something outside can give a transcendental feeling of hope, maybe stopping the audience from killing themselves before the final act lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #4965
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post
Any examples of particular scenes? I'm trying to think back.

I think it could've been too kitchen-sink if the audience wasn't slightly detached from the world. I think with gritty films like this, a sense of something outside can give a transcendental feeling of hope, maybe stopping the audience from killing themselves before the final act lol.
The one scene that rubbed me the wrong way was when Joseph is leaving the bar hammered after talking to the other dude (can't remember his name), the acoustic guitar strumming was so prevalent and persistent that it almost became jovial in nature, seeing this broken man stumble home. Dunno, something about it didn't seem right. The guitar sounded like something from a PG-13 teen university flick, when everyone is walking into the sunset hand in hand. Not something for this kind of mood.

But yeah I get what you're saying haha. I just remember watching Three Monkeys, a movie of unbelievable grittiness, which had no music at all IIRC.

"God ain't my fuckin' daddy" best line + delivery ever.

Saw this at the cinema today:

FUCKING TOO GOOD.

I really enjoyed this. Great fight choreography, sensible gore for the most part, good flow of combat from guns to knives to fists, some fantastic set-pieces and cinematography, and a sufficiently crunchy yet offkilter soundtrack throughout. Only gripe would be the slightly retarded and baseless plot –but hey, this is an action movie we're talking about right?

Highly recommended if you like the Tony Jaa style stuff, and I would endorse seeing it in the cinema too. The unanimous nervous chuckling at the most brutal scenes is quite endogenous to the cinema experience haha.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #4966
Regurgitated
pls

Saw The Dictator today. Really underwhelming.
Regurgitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #4967
siegewar
ugay

Isn't it scripted instead of actual fucking with people like his previous movies?

Last edited by siegewar; 05-22-2012 at 02:00 AM..
Old 05-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #4968
gurrmuff
Fuck Dolphins

Oh definitely, but I felt it still shined in a few spots... Namely the Shit ya see in the commercials :/

I really liked this... been a while since i've seen Spacey in anything and it was a nice little change from SEVANZzzzz
gurrmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #4969
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Kill List

Another excellent film. Watched this because I had seen it posted here but I had no idea what genre it was, and hadn't seen a blurb or a trailer either. Wow. Just got skullfucked.

I haven't seen something so emulsifying to the psyche since Mulholland Drive, and I think I liked this a fair bit more. Leaving the highly effective dissonant style of the cinematography/edits/use of sound to one side, there are plenty of subtle details and bits of recurrent imagery / foreshadowing worked in that make it really quite an eerie and unsettling watch as well. Which is awesome, particularly in retrospect when you reminisce on the film and end up getting flashbacks of those icons.

I personally felt like the ending was a bit hurried in pace, but I'm sure that was done with intent.

Why did I watch this late at night again?! Going to have some fucked up dreams right now.

Last edited by discombobulation; 05-23-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #4970
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 20 Lichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura about
Actually, I'd like to watch that movie again to try and make sense of it, but it was too violent for me.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #4971
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about
Really? Little squeamish?
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #4972
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 20 Lichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura about
I guess...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #4973
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

It wasn't that violent IMO, just disturbing imagery. And the violence that is there is quite unexpected and full-force. Essential though, to create the atmosphere.

The only part which was a bit cheesy was (spoiler in black) the part when Gal gets butchered in the tunnel, the gore there just seemed a bit over-the-top, to the point where it was borderline surreal/comical..
Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #4974
Rottenatomy
IMOCC

nice twist, that movie
Rottenatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #4975
Mr-Shredz
Death>Fucking>Metal

Rep Power: 6 Mr-Shredz will become famous soon enoughMr-Shredz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post

I watched the first 45 minutes or so and found it impossible to care about whether Neeson or any of the other cunts lived or died. Usually I would've stuck it out until the end but by this time it was 1am and sleep seemed like a better option.

I understand it's got some pretty good reviews on here but I was instantly put off by the cheesy, cliched opening monologue, and the alpha male main character concept. Maybe it gets better later on, but there was nothing to pique my attention early on.

EDIT: I await being told why I'm wrong.
I never understood what your beef with Neeson is lol
Mr-Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #4976
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Quote:
It wasn't that violent IMO, just disturbing imagery. And the violence that is there is quite unexpected and full-force. Essential though, to create the atmosphere.[/COLOR].
I can see why you're saying it wasn't that violent, you're probably used to more brutal stuff, which I am not, since I generally avoid stuff like that. Now that I think about it, the one scene that really was a bit much for me was where he beat that one guy with a hammer.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #4977
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Shredz View Post
I never understood what your beef with Neeson is lol

What beef? He does some good films, he does some bad.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #4978
siegewar
ugay

^Would you say he has a particular set of films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
I can see why you're saying it wasn't that violent, you're probably used to more brutal stuff, which I am not, since I generally avoid stuff like that. Now that I think about it, the one scene that really was a bit much for me was where he beat that one guy with a hammer.
Yeah, I cringed a bit at that part.

It's a pretty good movie. It does start slow and then escalate quickly and the end is insane. It was hard to understand what they were saying half the time. Need to re-watch it with subtitles. Spoilers in black is a good idea: So was his wife also part of the cult? Was she laughing when he uncovered her at the end?

And that Fish Tank movie was okay. Not the most entertaining but Fassbender was good in it.

Last edited by siegewar; 05-24-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #4979
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

At your spoiler question: lol, I don't get the whole movie.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #4980
_Hez_
Hez

Kill List was just fucking stupid with that retarded ending. Tyrannosaur, now that was a good movie. A proper fuckin' movie.
_Hez_ is offline   Reply With Quote