SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #4231
Vandelay Industries
butchered@join date

Thanks for the recommendations guys, that's a LOT of stuff to check out.

almost forgot I saw this a couple of days ago:

Don't know what to say really. I think it's worth watching for the sheer WTFness of it. I couldn't stop grinning throughout the whole movie.
Vandelay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #4232
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

Been about 15 years since I've watched this. Still chock full of awesome. Whole movie's on youtube.
SwedeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #4233
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 22 De Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-Skinless View Post
They're hilarious and awesome. They're packing all this firepower and at the same time have ridiculous children voices and personalities.
Well I've never seen it so I was just guessing.

I just watched "Black Metal Satanica"....what a complete waste of time. I don't recommend this to anyone, unless you're a complete metal noob.
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #4234
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
You are right about the story, but I still think it's an amazing film and it's special effects are far more inventive and aesthetically pleasing than CGI extravaganzas.
oddly enough this was true of the anime Metropolis as well (except that it used CGI). So eye pleasing, but the shitty plot made it difficult to watch.
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #4235
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 16 Vadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the rough
Yo someone had put up a film that looked like 2 Rednekcs Vs Zombies a while ago and I cant find it, anyone any idea which Im talking about? I wanna get it
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #4236
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadge View Post
Yo someone had put up a film that looked like 2 Rednekcs Vs Zombies a while ago and I cant find it, anyone any idea which Im talking about? I wanna get it
This?

Haven't seen it, but it seems to be available most places.
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #4237
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 16 Vadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the roughVadge is a jewel in the rough
Thats the one cheers brah
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #4238
Cernunnos

Can't believe no one else has seen the Pusher trilogy (or indicated they have). Those movies are tits and mop the floor with most Hollywood crime movies. Anyway I saw these movies by the same director over the past few months/years:

Bleeder - Similar vibe as the Pusher films, and also stars the same three leads as in the first one (Kim Bodnia, Mads Mikkelson, and Zlatko Buric) but overall not quite as good. Still has a pretty brutal and over-the-top climax.

Bronson - I saw it a few years back. I remember enjoying it, but felt like something just wasn't quite there. The sets and camera work were very interesting, as was Tom Hardy's acting. Overall pretty cool.

Valhalla Rising - Kind of disappointing for a movie that starts out so promising. It's basically Aguirre: Der Zorn Gottes set in the Viking era. Unfortunately, Mads Mikkelson's character, and just about everyone else, is way too opaque to really get deeply involved with on such a minimalist film. Again, the cinematography is breathtakingly beautiful, but something was missing.

I haven't seen Fear X, but I hear that's his worst movie. I heard it had involvement from Hubert Selby Jr., but I'm not really a big fan of his work. I might check it out later still.

I haven't yet hat the opportunity to watch Drive, but it looks like it's the closest in spirit to the Pusher films, so I'm eager to check it out as soon as it becomes available on DVD or streaming. Everyone who liked Bronson, Valhalla Rising, or Drive, should definitely check out the Pusher trilogy, though.
Cernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #4239
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

I ordered the Pusher trilogy from Play.com about 2 years ago, and they sent me just the first one, so I sent it back and got nothing, and heard nothing from them after trying for ages, so I gave up. The first instalment was very enjoyable though, and was only reminded of the trilogy when you mentioned it, so I must revisit
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #4240
Saldiac

Seen the Pusher trilogy years ago. Good stuff though the 3rd one is my least favorite.
"Valhalla Rising" was great. Mads Mikkelsen is superb in pretty much any movie I've seen him in.
In general, Danish cinema is pretty damn good so if you're new to it then check out Anders Thomas Jensen's movies. He has also written a whole bunch of great scripts that were subsequently done by other directors.
Hopefully he'll direct one of his own scripts again since "Adam's apples" was already 7 years ago.
Saldiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #4241
Cernunnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldiac View Post
Seen the Pusher trilogy years ago. Good stuff though the 3rd one is my least favorite.
"Valhalla Rising" was great. Mads Mikkelsen is superb in pretty much any movie I've seen him in.
In general, Danish cinema is pretty damn good so if you're new to it then check out Anders Thomas Jensen's movies. He has also written a whole bunch of great scripts that were subsequently done by other directors.
Hopefully he'll direct one of his own scripts again since "Adam's apples" was already 7 years ago.
The third one was actually my favorite. I thought it was the most suspenseful, and Buric's character has the most dynamic change over the course of the series. I can't say I disliked any, but I guess the second one was the least intense, but still an excellent story.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #4242
Phidion

Haha the Pusher-movies rule. Pure danish gritty.

Try the Swedish cult movie "Sökarna" too you´ll probably like it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108275/

Last edited by Phidion; 01-02-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Phidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #4243
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Stupid Clichée plot aside, the "kill-choreographies" are really nice. LoL'd hard at this automatic shotgun/explosives weapon of the black guy.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #4244
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 20 Lichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura about
The first "Pusher" is really great, seen that one some time ago, will catch up on the other ones. I have liked/loved everything I've seen from Refn, one of my favourites for sure.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #4245
Cernunnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
The first "Pusher" is really great, seen that one some time ago, will catch up on the other ones. I have liked/loved everything I've seen from Refn, one of my favourites for sure.
If you liked the first one and everything else he's done, you should definitely enjoy the sequels. They're not really even conventional sequels, but separate stories involving familiar characters. It does wonders for actually expanding the universe of the story instead of being tired re-treads. (There also seem to be hints about what may have happened to Frank after the first film).
Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #4246
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 22 De Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really nice
I just saw "Are We There Yet?" and I can't recommend it to anyone.
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #4247
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 20 Lichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura about
You talkin' 'bout that horseshit with Ice Cube? lol

Quote:
If you liked the first one and everything else he's done, you should definitely enjoy the sequels. They're not really even conventional sequels, but separate stories involving familiar characters. It does wonders for actually expanding the universe of the story instead of being tired re-treads. (There also seem to be hints about what may have happened to Frank after the first film).
I am aware of that. I just watched the second one and loved everything about it. It amazes me how Refn/Mikkelsen got me to root for that miserable piece of trash that is the main character... Will watch the third one later on if I can find a decent stream.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #4248
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

First movie I've seen in a long time that really impressed me. 9.5/10
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #4249
RICE510

Rep Power: 18 RICE510 will become famous soon enoughRICE510 will become famous soon enough
FINALLY SAW SPECIES II

HOLY SHIT!! I TOTALLY WATCHED THE SHIT OUT OF THAT SHIT!
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #4250
disgorgeyourguts

watching the hbo miniseries "the pacific". only on disc one. i dunno man i like the band of brothers more so far.
disgorgeyourguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #4251
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Watched the third Pusher and loved it. Just couldn't find a version with subtitles for the Albanian or whatever language it is that Milo is speaking a lot of the time. At first I thought it was intentional this wasn't translated, but later on when there was long dialogue with his daughter I felt kinda lost. Cthulhu or anybody else who might know, could you maybe shed some light on what they were saying in these scenes (particularly the one where he gets the food for the Polish girl and the other two guys and the scene at the very end, both where he is talking to his daughter)?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #4252
Cernunnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
Watched the third Pusher and loved it. Just couldn't find a version with subtitles for the Albanian or whatever language it is that Milo is speaking a lot of the time. At first I thought it was intentional this wasn't translated, but later on when there was long dialogue with his daughter I felt kinda lost. Cthulhu or anybody else who might know, could you maybe shed some light on what they were saying in these scenes (particularly the one where he gets the food for the Polish girl and the other two guys and the scene at the very end, both where he is talking to his daughter)?
It's probably Serbian, but there are Albanian characters too.

You should try to rent the DVD because they do translate everything, and you're probably missing a lot if you can't hear Milo talking.

*spoilers*

It's been a few weeks since I watched it, but from what I remember in the first conversation between the middle-man (Rexho) (that Milo later kills) and the boss, Milo is complaining about the ecstasy pills he doesn't know what to do with, Rexho translates it to his boss as "he can't tell the difference between ecstasy and baking soda." So you find out right there that these guys are setting him up. (So Mohammed is telling the truth toward the end when Milo and Radovan are interrogating him).

During the scene with the girl, Milo overhears that they are trying to sell her as a prostitute and he realizes she is a human trafficking victim. Then at one point they say it's her birthday and (I think) she is turning 25. This, of course, reminds Milo of his daughter and you can see it is bothering him. They tell Milo to get her some food, so he serves her a piece of his daughter's birthday cake. Basically, this is the prelude to Milo's sort of moral change, which is why he snaps when the Polish guy his beating her and then kills the Pole and Rexho to help her escape. Unfortunately, Milo does not understand her and doesn't realize she is screaming for her passport before he shoves her out the door.

I don't remember what the conversation between him and his daughter at the end was about :(.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #4253
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgorgeyourguts View Post
watching the hbo miniseries "the pacific". only on disc one. i dunno man i like the band of brothers more so far.
Both are great in their own right IMO.
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #4254
Hideous Infirmity

Rep Power: 11 Hideous Infirmity will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson View Post

Krawehl, krawehl!

Taubtrüber Ginst am Musenhain

trübtauber Hain am Musenginst

Krawehl, krawehl!

The historical importance aside, I thought it was rather mediocre. Critics at the time were right to point out that it's mostly a blender, expensive special effects for a boring story you can tell in two sentences.
Are u serious u know German comedy? How? I thought noone knew Loriot (RIP). I thought you were Italian? Right?
Hideous Infirmity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #4255
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Ne, bin ein waschechter Badener Bua. Hab mal gemeint, dass ich entfernt Italienische Wurzeln hab, vllt. deswegen.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #4256
Hideous Infirmity

Rep Power: 11 Hideous Infirmity will become famous soon enough
hahaha alles klar! Roman Empire und so haha. Loriot rules!

ATTENTION EVERYONE:
Do NOT watch a piece of shit called BEREAVEMENT. U will regret it. Why do people still try to make movies like that?
Hideous Infirmity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #4257
disgorgeyourguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post
Both are great in their own right IMO.
gotcha. i felt like i could connect with the characters in bob more even in the first episode. will countinue watching the pacific though.
disgorgeyourguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #4258
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Quote:
It's probably Serbian, but there are Albanian characters too.

You should try to rent the DVD because they do translate everything, and you're probably missing a lot if you can't hear Milo talking.

*spoilers*

It's been a few weeks since I watched it, but from what I remember in the first conversation between the middle-man (Rexho) (that Milo later kills) and the boss, Milo is complaining about the ecstasy pills he doesn't know what to do with, Rexho translates it to his boss as "he can't tell the difference between ecstasy and baking soda." So you find out right there that these guys are setting him up. (So Mohammed is telling the truth toward the end when Milo and Radovan are interrogating him).

During the scene with the girl, Milo overhears that they are trying to sell her as a prostitute and he realizes she is a human trafficking victim. Then at one point they say it's her birthday and (I think) she is turning 25. This, of course, reminds Milo of his daughter and you can see it is bothering him. They tell Milo to get her some food, so he serves her a piece of his daughter's birthday cake. Basically, this is the prelude to Milo's sort of moral change, which is why he snaps when the Polish guy his beating her and then kills the Pole and Rexho to help her escape. Unfortunately, Milo does not understand her and doesn't realize she is screaming for her passport before he shoves her out the door.

I don't remember what the conversation between him and his daughter at the end was about :(.
*potential spoilers*
Unfortunately, the scenes you're describing are not the ones I was talking about, haha. Most of what you wrote I got from the context of the movie, except for Rexho and the other guy setting Milo up from the beginning and the Polish girl screaming for her passport, both of which is great extra info!
The other conversation I was talking about occurs right in the kitchen when Milo is getting the cake and other stuff from his daughter's birthday party. They get into some sort of argument. From researching I found out it's apparently got to do with future drug deals and his daughter trying to fuck him over or something. Maybe that'll remind you. In any case, thanks for the help.
*potential spoilers*

Also, I just saw "Eastern Promises" again since it was on German TV and loved it more than ever. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could put "Existenz" - which is a great movie in its own right - above it. I was actually planning on doing something else on the side while watching the movie, but Mortensens performance and they whole way in which the plot unfolds is just so mezmerizing, it's impossible to look away and do something else. Great, great movie.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #4259
Phidion

Not a movie but it made my day.

Phidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #4260
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

Rep Power: 19 Cloaca will become famous soon enoughCloaca will become famous soon enough
Watched that Drive movie with Ryan Gosling. Started slowly, but just as it was finally starting to get good it bombed at the end. Almost wondered whether there was something about it I completely overlooked, but I don't think so.

Last edited by Cloaca; 01-05-2012 at 12:36 AM..
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote