SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #3391
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about

Marwencol

WATCH.THIS.SHIT.

Documentary about a guy who has brain injury and uses dolls as a coping mechanism. Sounds retarded, but damn near had me in tears several times. Phenomenal story and phenomenal storytelling.

Also interesting for me because I've seen the physio/occupational therapy for brain injury patients, and whilst very effective at identifying and improving weaknesses, it is no where near as impressive as what this guy has done for himself. Something of a middlefinger to the status quo of conventional medical treatment, though obviously this won't work for any/everyone.
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #3392
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson View Post
Modern animation almost always uses CGI. Forget it.
The whole kind of future dystopia isn't really in anymore, too.
The future is now and all that jazz? It's a shame everyone's jizzing over zombies these days.
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #3393
Naitz
Grim Fandango

LoL yeah, I can't believe how zombies are still cool. The concept is so simple, you'd think three or so Zombie movies would be enough.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #3394
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapturousGrief View Post
Watched Children of Men for like the thousandth time. Fuck, what an amazing movie. Everything about is pretty much perfect.
Yeah that's a fantastic film for sure. It doesn't get any worse the more you watch it ?
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #3395
RapturousGrief
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatiano View Post
Yeah that's a fantastic film for sure. It doesn't get any worse the more you watch it ?
I notice more nuances in the dialogue, screenplay, etc. each time I see it... so no, not really.
RapturousGrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #3396
Naitz
Grim Fandango

I watched it with a mate and we both thought it was pretty lame.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #3397
RapturousGrief
wat

Quote:
I watched it with a mate and we both thought it was pretty lame.
How so?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #3398
Naitz
Grim Fandango

I thought it felt way too "constructed" or "unrealistic". Also I remember it being absurdly "polished" for this kind of plot. But it is long since I saw it, I don't really remember it.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #3399
RapturousGrief
wat

Weird. I thought it's greatest strength was its sense of unpolishedness. Everything was gritty and natural, it seemed, as opposed to cinematic and extravagant. I agree that the plot gets slightly unrealistic towards the end, but I only noticed it because everything else was so well done... I dunno.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #3400
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

I simply loved the characters and the directing (super long shots are pretty awesome) and the plot was pretty decent... I also cried at the SPOILER scene where he brings the baby out of the building and walks through the military and everyone is just staring at it SPOILER
Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #3401
RapturousGrief
wat

I fucking love the long takes. And yeah, that scene was beautiful.

Not to mention the movie has some seriously funny moments. "It's the first baby in 18 years... you can't call it Froley."
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #3402
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
I really need to watch that movie again. I was really happy to see a decent Sci-fi sort of movie come out of the UK and do pretty well. Fuck all that 28 Days Later shit.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #3403
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

I actually thought this was really cool. Despite being set mainly in one room and being about 85% dialogue, it was pretty interesting. It had a real made-for-TV feel about it in both budget and acting quality, but it survives on it's concept alone.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #3404
Rottenatomy
IMOCC

dear brando, thanks for being so fucking good.
Rottenatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #3405
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post

I actually thought this was really cool. Despite being set mainly in one room and being about 85% dialogue, it was pretty interesting. It had a real made-for-TV feel about it in both budget and acting quality, but it survives on it's concept alone.
iirc, it gained notoriety mainly because of internet (illegal :P) downloads and then the director (or producer or writer or someone important) thanked file-sharers for the publicity or something to that effect. i remember the admins at rlslog being all excited about it or something...

but yeah, cool movie. with higher production values this could've been really really awesome.

for something similar but not quite (one room, 95% dialogue), check out The Sunset Limited (written by Cormac McCarthy, main (and only) actors are Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones)
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #3406
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSickSix View Post
I read about that one in a newspaper before and really expected more.
First of all, this isn't a "Western" in my book, it's an action movie with Western elements. There are waaaay too many gunfights in this, Western is about suspense and atmosphere, things this movie doesn't deliver.
Of the three main protagonists only the "weird" one is good. The bad guy can't be taken serious. He is fashionable, young, and a total "girls-type". The "Good" is ok, but again, he can't be taken serious, his skin is perfect like a babies ass, and he is supposed to be some bad-ass living in the desert....

That said, there are some hilarious scenes, great ideas (the fashion style of the market gangsters, wtf!) and the camera-work is excellent.

All in all it's pretty fun, it's more "Die Hard" than "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" though.

Last edited by Naitz; 06-23-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #3407
SixSickSix

It's an asian-themed spaghetti western, which is what I originally described it as.

That being said, it's supposed to be light hearted and comical. It's an asian/spaghetti western, those "Good" and "Bad" characters aren't supposed to be ultra serious or believable. They're supposed to be over-the-top. The Weird character wouldn't be as good without the contrast of the other two characters to compare him to. Kang-ho Song is fucking great in his role, absolutely loved him in this film.

I loved how it was essentially non-stop over the top action and gunplay, made for a fun ride with frantic pacing. The sound mix is absolutely top notch, too. The gunplay sounds quite dynamic and realistic for the period.

Loved this movie and will make time for a 2nd viewing sometime soon. One of the better, more enjoyable movies I've seen as of late.
SixSickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #3408
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
It's an asian-themed spaghetti western
I don't think it is. The movie they are ripping off is a "spaghetti" Western, and it has a totally different tone.
I see how the characters aren't supposed to be believable as "real" characters, but they aren't even good at what they try to convey (except the weird guy). They aren't "over the top" either, they are just bland.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #3409
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Nothing amazing here. It was okay. It's like Wall Street mixed with Foot-bwahl.

McConaughey is annoying.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #3410
SixSickSix

Quote:
I don't think it is. The movie they are ripping off is a "spaghetti" Western, and it has a totally different tone.
I see how the characters aren't supposed to be believable as "real" characters, but they aren't even good at what they try to convey (except the weird guy). They aren't "over the top" either, they are just bland.
First of all they aren't "ripping off" anything. If anything they are paying homage in their own way. Yes... Good, Bad, Ugly is indeed a spaghetti western. Notice I said "asian-themed" spaghetti western? Different culture = different tone/results. This is indeed an asian-themed spaghetti western.

I will agree, though, that the story plays out with far more action and much quicker pacing, thus agree that it's probably more akin to Die Hard than G,B,U. However, I really don't think the intent was to have a huge connection with G,B,U to begin with, clearly.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #3411
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Rip-off was probably the wrong way to put it. Obviously it wasn't meant to be that kind of movie.

Quote:
Different culture = different tone/results
Ever watched "Seven Samurai"? That's what I'd call an "Asian Western".
I bet there are plenty of comparable Asian movies.... this one just isn't a "Western", the whole premise is different.

Last edited by Naitz; 06-23-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #3412
SixSickSix

Quote:
Ever watched "Seven Samurai"?
Indeed I have, one of the best Westerns ever made and for that matter, one of the best films ever made. But to compare the two is kinda crazy... 50 years apart, one is Japanese, other is Korean (but based in China). One is a masterpiece, other is just very solid.

I can see where you are coming from with your reluctance to call this a western by "traditional" standards... but it is indeed a western, albeit a different/more light-hearted modern asian take on the western. It's kind of like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle with their mix of strange over the top comedy and action, yet they still manage to stay somewhat grounded in their traditional Kung-Fu genre roots, they are like hybrids almost.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #3413
emperadorXXIV
English Gentleman

Touching film. Sort of like the Fountain which I know some peeps on this board appreciate. Worth checking out.
emperadorXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #3414
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

The Fountain with robin williams ?

good god, sounds horrible
Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #3415
Cernunnos

Saw this recently. Still not sure what to think of it. The cinematography is, as they say, "achingly" beautiful, the lighting is incredible, it has evocative mise-en-scene and acting, but fuck does it get dreadfully boring and unsatisfying. I kind of get that that may be the point of the story, since this is based on a book by Robert Walser, a kind of Kafkaesque modernist writer, and it has themes about servitude and the elusiveness of "real" living, but the whole plot really wore out its welcome by the end. Plus there was maybe 10 seconds total of animation, which is where their real strength lies. Even a few 2 min segments would have helped break up the monotony without destroying the mood and tone.

Still, there were some very interesting scenes, a very very lovely score by Jankowski (who did the excellent scores to a number of their short films), and a haunting atmosphere. The look and feel of the film is very unique. It somehow combines the cartoonish/pantomime acting style of a Jean-Pierre Jeunet & Marc Caro film (Delicatessen; City of Lost Children) without a trace of lightheartedness, the existentialist dread and plodding despair of an Ingmar Bergman film without quite the same grimness, and the bizarre outsider emotions of a Werner Herzog film.

But as with their other feature-length, Piano-Tuner of Earthquakes, I was left rather unimpressed that such talented artists could make something so hollow and wanting. Here's to hoping that The Sanatorium in the Sign of the Hour-Glass (if they ever make it) isn't a complete bore with a stunningly beautiful exterior.
Cernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #3416
HamaChanCutter
Imaginary Avatar Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSickSix View Post
Indeed I have, one of the best Westerns ever made and for that matter, one of the best films ever made. But to compare the two is kinda crazy... 50 years apart, one is Japanese, other is Korean (but based in China). One is a masterpiece, other is just very solid.

I can see where you are coming from with your reluctance to call this a western by "traditional" standards... but it is indeed a western, albeit a different/more light-hearted modern asian take on the western. It's kind of like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle with their mix of strange over the top comedy and action, yet they still manage to stay somewhat grounded in their traditional Kung-Fu genre roots, they are like hybrids almost.
What did you guys think of Sukiyaki Western Django compared to this?

As for humor. The majority of the time there seems to be comedy embedded in all kinds of asian films. Whether it's light-hearted or blackened humor, sprinkled or laced, it makes its presence. Park Chan-wook, Kim Ji-woon, Bong Joon-ho, Takashi Miike, Sion Sono, etc. usually incorporate it into their films. But, sometimes, it can be ridiculously over the top. I'm used to this, but I noticed that alot of people I expose these films to tend to be put off by it. Anybody have this problem?
HamaChanCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #3417
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

This was a lot better than I'd expected. It was gritty and brutal, yet cinematic and quirky at times. The Scottish dialogue can be difficult to understand at times but it only adds to the authenticity of the story's setting. Also the dialogue doesn't play a key role in the story telling. For example you may miss certain things, but can still easily figure out what's going on based on the characters' actions and the use of certain plot devices and metaphors, which I personally find to be a trait of a well written film.

I really like that this film never insults the intelligence of it's audience by over-explaining everything. Everything has a natual flow, it is unapologetic and un-biased.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #3418
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamaChanCutter View Post
What did you guys think of Sukiyaki Western Django compared to this?

As for humor. The majority of the time there seems to be comedy embedded in all kinds of asian films. Whether it's light-hearted or blackened humor, sprinkled or laced, it makes its presence. Park Chan-wook, Kim Ji-woon, Bong Joon-ho, Takashi Miike, Sion Sono, etc. usually incorporate it into their films. But, sometimes, it can be ridiculously over the top. I'm used to this, but I noticed that alot of people I expose these films to tend to be put off by it. Anybody have this problem?
I noticed this kind of "embedded" humour in all the Japanese movies I saw. They really have an ability to put humorous scenes even in the most serious contexts, which is awesome. I'm not talking about "over the top", but of a kind of "natural" and "indirect" humour many people wouldn't even recognize.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #3419
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post
Neds

This was a lot better than I'd expected. It was gritty and brutal, yet cinematic and quirky at times. The Scottish dialogue can be difficult to understand at times but it only adds to the authenticity of the story's setting. Also the dialogue doesn't play a key role in the story telling. For example you may miss certain things, but can still easily figure out what's going on based on the characters' actions and the use of certain plot devices and metaphors, which I personally find to be a trait of a well written film.

I really like that this film never insults the intelligence of it's audience by over-explaining everything. Everything has a natual flow, it is unapologetic and un-biased.
Really? I started watching it with one of my flatmates and found it dragging heavily...seemed just like a documentary to him hahahahaha. Maybe we didn't get to the escalation or something, will have to watch it again.
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #3420
HamaChanCutter
Imaginary Avatar Pic

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. How they put a comedic twist on situations that are supposed to be serious. I'm not saying it's always over the top, but it has been overdone here and there. But when it's done right, it's like cake and ice cream. Like you said, it just seems "natural".
HamaChanCutter is offline   Reply With Quote