SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #91
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

well they have ALOT of polyphonic sections(well, compared of most bands at least) and not to mention the obvious solo sections. plus it's Shaune Kelly of Ripping Corpse fame how the fuck could he be unnecessary?
flayedandskinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #92
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

it looks like California might be the Florida of the next generation of death metal...
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #93
RICE510

Rep Power: 18 RICE510 will become famous soon enoughRICE510 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vriend View Post
Also, why does HE have 2 guitarists now? It's unnecessary as far as I've heard.
Are you joking? HE are notorious for playing indiscernible live shows with Eric's sole, thin guitar being buried under a wall of blasting drums. And as mentioned they have a number of harmonies and pseudo-counterpoint phrases that aren't being represented live.

I'm going to have to bring up the fact that HE are similar to Nile in that they're not the youngest guys in the world, and are pretty much of the same generation as Suffo and Deicide, CC etc. HE again, like Nile, just didn't get their band going till later, But those dudes were messing with MA and Ripping corpse way back.

Not a strong candidate for "changing the gaurd"
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #94
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE510 View Post
I'm going to have to bring up the fact that HE are similar to Nile in that they're not the youngest guys in the world, and are pretty much of the same generation as Suffo and Deicide, CC etc. HE again, like Nile, just didn't get their band going till later, But those dudes were messing with MA and Ripping corpse way back.

Not a strong candidate for "changing the gaurd"
\

very good point, but i guess i just mainly brought HE up for the fact that i can see them being the next super group... i can see them having some longevity though, at least 10-15 years more...
Old 10-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #95
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

all metal will be replaced by hyperspace techno produced by unbelievably big machines on mars.
Grindmasterflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #96
LesserAnimal

Rep Power: 0 LesserAnimal is an unknown quantity at this point
If Hate Eternal had produced their most recent album more clearly they'd have increased in popularity over the past year or so.
LesserAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #97
Johnny-Skinless
Vlad Dracul

Extreme metal nowadays is mostly based on great records rather than great bands. It seems like it's impossible for most bands to keep a steady classic line-up going for more than one or two records. We have immense records like "Planispherium" or "Elvenfris".. Take a look at Defeated Sanity, for example. They've just released one of the most incredible metal albums in existence and the main singer leaves just like that. And there's literally hundred more examples but i'm ultra sleepy LOL
Johnny-Skinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #98
ElementGuitar

I will just say that I would like to see more focus on music and less on the complexity and stamina that's flooding the modern era of death metal.

Just write some catchy rocking riffs and forget about the nonsense.
ElementGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #99
thinkpad20

Quote:
hmm. I'm with you up till the highlighted part which exists in total denial of the fact even the underground is subject to trendiness and influence from pop music, hence the explosion of shitty scene crossover DM.

Sorry but Scenemetal will dominate, infect 95% of even the most underground DM, and the few real bands will be left trying to scrounge. Same as "true die-hard" thrash in 1997.
Point taken, but what I meant was the innovation present in underground metal. You can classify metalcore, neo-thrash or other trends as being underground in terms of album sales, but if a band is attempting to copy another band's sound, especially to achieve success, that to me excludes them from what I mean by underground. In "true" (and yes I realize that is subjective) underground metal, the desire to innovate, create new music, carve out your own sound and kick ass while doing so is what drives the creation of new music, and that's why true underground music will continue to evolve.

I suppose it becomes a bit of a gray area when a band is "generic" in some fashion, i.e. they aren't commercial but they also don't really innovate anything and just sort of paint by numbers. It's true that many of those bands are out there, and I guess they could be considered underground, so maybe I should have just been more specific in what I meant.

Anyway good point and I think we agree overall.
thinkpad20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #100
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

With the way some of the alleged fans of the scene who post here believe the scene is already dead & dying - exactly what the fuck does it matter who changes their underpants in the scene? Most of the people on here are so busy turning the most microscopic detail of a band & it's music into a blender of hatred aimed at the band & fans who defend them. I honestly believe some of you (apart from the few elite) won't even be here 5 years down the line, nevermind 10-15 years with such a defeatist attitude!!!

At the end of the day - I don't give a fuck who replaces these bands years from now - this scene has always been "Adapt or Die!" You either love the music & the scene or you don't. It will always be subjected to a love / hate campaign on forums like this years from now. So if you really give a fuck about who will replace who in the coming years - Watch This Space! Or throw in the towel... the choice is yours...
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #101
Johnny-Skinless
Vlad Dracul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementGuitar View Post
Just write some catchy rocking riffs and forget about the nonsense.
yeah, because that's what Death Metal has always been about LOL.
Johnny-Skinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #102
VilEffigy
King of the Nig Nogs

Quote:
If you guys are honest with yourselves you'd all acknowledge the pink elephant that's in the room:

Scenebands will take over and real Death Metal will be forced to try and tag along.
QFT. My exact thoughts. With the way everything is going, there will be no pure death metal band such as CC and MA to get popular. If The Faceless and Job for a Cowboy can headline over more deserving bands, this will get popular and other bands will be pushed out as a result.
VilEffigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #103
VilEffigy
King of the Nig Nogs

By the way, thread lacks Odious Mortem...
VilEffigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #104
Suicide Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilEffigy View Post
By the way, thread lacks Odious Mortem...
*in before tzimwhore says cookie cutter*
Suicide Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #105
RICE510

Rep Power: 18 RICE510 will become famous soon enoughRICE510 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Most of the people on here are so busy turning the most microscopic detail of a band & it's music into a blender of hatred aimed at the band & fans who defend them.
Well, it's a bulletin board after all. Minutiae is a thing with online "chat". You're taking it too seriously.
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #106
scum
+

there will be no changing of the guard, death metal will just continue have an influx of bands attempting to modernize what has already been done.

Death Metal is just about a rotting corpse.
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #107
Whee of the Dead
E-Warrior

One problem is the fact that if a death metal band does something slightly different, they are automatically classified in some sub-sub-sub genre, as if pure death metal can only have one sound.
Whee of the Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #108
Cernunnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldiac View Post
One could set this question in a broader metal spectrum. Who's gonna replace Priest, Maiden, Slayer, Metallica?

Answer is the same: no one.
Those are two different scenes there.
Cernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #109
thinkpad20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee of the Dead View Post
One problem is the fact that if a death metal band does something slightly different, they are automatically classified in some sub-sub-sub genre, as if pure death metal can only have one sound.
I don't think this is true. I'd consider Immolation, Morbid Angel and Bolt Thrower all to be straight up death metal, though they all sound way different. Just some examples. There are many bands that you really can't peg with a single genre tag, but that doesn't mean that all the ones who have the same genre sound the same.
thinkpad20 is offline   Reply With Quote