SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #91
quartertone
Academmik musition

Holy shit Willith, that was exclusively dim7 arpeggios. You do know Necrophagist?
quartertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #92
Djeez
Calisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willith View Post
LOL, I'm not an accomplished drummer at all- I'm going to have someone else sequence drums for me later on because of this. There's a section w/out drums at all cause I havn't had time to put anything in.
MIDI guitar sounds weird cause it's in Bb (to match what my guitar is in now; ultimately will be in C or D)

Just an intro, havn't added the second guitar yet to all parts(lazy + no time) just three riffs, about 44 seconds long. Sorry for my lack of GP professionalism- I will add the second guitar and some more drums and re-post (when I get back home) and hopefully it won't sound like complete ass then.....just wanted to get something up for the time being.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lvuyyq
What's the point of going to berklee and knowing soooo much about music, if that's what you're gonna do?That thing sucks the diminished more than any Decapitated/Necrophagist song ever.
Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #93
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
Holy shit Willith, that was exclusively dim7 arpeggios. You do know Necrophagist?
The intro (sweeping) is, but not the entire thing. It's chromatic and setup so that the second guitar will end (on the last pass) where the first guitar ends (on its first pass). The "post-lude" of that riff is another dim7 sweep idea (different motion though) that ends with the first phrase of Guitar 1 (the first chromatic riff mentioned above)....so in that regard it'd be somewhat comparable to a backwards palindrome- if that makes any sense? (because it's obviously not note for note mirrored)

I don't understand your Necrophagist question. I've met them and spoken with them a handful of times...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeez View Post
What's the point of going to berklee and knowing soooo much about music, if that's what you're gonna do?That thing sucks the diminished more than any Decapitated/Necrophagist song ever.
Your question is ludicrous.
There are metal faculty here (Joe Stump for example). There are "metal" and "shred labs"- My instructor had an ensemble playing tunes by Necrophagist, Mastodon, and some others. There was going to be a Dillinger lab, but that instructor just left.
Any given semester there's probably (by my estimate) two to three dozen real "metal" students; one of my "metal" friends graduated magna cum laude- I think he would have a real laugh at answering your "whats the point?".
What's the point of playing music in general?
I think ultimately I will try to adopt principles that Stravinsky used in his music- to the best of my ability, but apply it to metal. If you don't see the point in that........well, that would definitely explain the video in your signature. Is that really your band, or is that a joke thing? I thought it said the band was from russia, but it looks like you're from Canada....eitherway, I had a hearty lol at all the monkey stomping and box squats.
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #94
quartertone
Academmik musition

Quote:
I don't understand your Necrophagist question. I've met them and spoken with them a handful of times...?
Well, listen to Foul Body Autopsy and then your song. They weren't even being original themselves, that stuff was old 80 years ago. And you have the cheek to call me uncreative? Wow.
quartertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #95
Djeez
Calisse

Quote:
well, that would definitely explain the video in your signature. Is that really your band, or is that a joke thing? I thought it said the band was from russia, but it looks like you're from Canada....eitherway, I had a hearty lol at all the monkey stomping and box squats.
Hahaha, that video is the funniest display of dumbed-down death metal-ness, which is why it's in my sig.The "my band" is just a lure.

Oh, and, it's good to hear you'll try and put some Stravinsky influence in there, but so far all I hear is mediocre death metal riffs and structure (although it's not even a minute so I admit I shouldn't talk about structure yet).Oh well, I guess I like the 4/4 into 3/4, but I'm total time signature whore so it doesn't count.

Last edited by Djeez; 08-30-2008 at 12:28 PM..
Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #96
modern death
Hails

Quote:
LOL, I'm not an accomplished drummer at all- I'm going to have someone else sequence drums for me later on because of this. There's a section w/out drums at all cause I havn't had time to put anything in.
MIDI guitar sounds weird cause it's in Bb (to match what my guitar is in now; ultimately will be in C or D)

Just an intro, havn't added the second guitar yet to all parts(lazy + no time) just three riffs, about 44 seconds long. Sorry for my lack of GP professionalism- I will add the second guitar and some more drums and re-post (when I get back home) and hopefully it won't sound like complete ass then.....just wanted to get something up for the time being.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lvuyyq
I was expecting something amazing the way you talk down to everyone. Just another Necrophagist clone.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #97
ChAAPY
it's one louder

AHAHAHAHA, thanks for the lulz Willithomo.

All that shit talking and this is what you have to show for your "music"?

I think I find even worse than a Necrophagist clone because it's only 44 seconds of bullshit.

music for the "dumb masses" > than that crap.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #98
substitutecreature

nun stampede, where in mass are u?
substitutecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #99
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

Near Fitchburg.
Nun Stampede! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #100
substitutecreature

oh
substitutecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 AM   #101
Tzimisce
Banned

http://www.sendspace.com/file/54nulf

midis of every completed Zealotry song thus far... 10 in total

Last edited by Tzimisce; 08-31-2008 at 02:45 AM..
Tzimisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #102
stabwound
Corpsefiend

Listened to some of that a month or so ago. Just curious how long you've played guitar/how much theory you know. Not that that translates to how well you can write music, I'm just wondering.
stabwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #103
Tzimisce
Banned

guitar for about a year all-told [only picked it up again after a long 'hiatus' about a month and a half ago]. Bass for around 5 years. Piano for like 15.

Never studied theory.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #104
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5...db6fb9a8902bda

I just found something I wrote a while ago. Careful, theres a little core influence. Sorry. But I thought some of this flowed very well and I might finish it up and record it sometime. The midi doesn't really do that tapping parts justice either.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #105
Lazzari
Grind/Gore Guitarist

Well heres one song from my band http://www.sendspace.com/file/hfmoo5 check it out...
Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #106
Tzimisce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzari View Post
Well heres one song from my band http://www.sendspace.com/file/hfmoo5 check it out...
Wow... what the hell was the point of that?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #107
Lazzari
Grind/Gore Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzimisce View Post
Wow... what the hell was the point of that?
well... i think that this post is to show some gp/powertab/tabit thread right? And people show what they have done in those programs right ? if im wrong then im sorry.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #108
Tzimisce
Banned

heh. I was under the impression that it was to demonstrate material you'd written for your band/project...
Old 09-01-2008, 04:15 AM   #109
Lazzari
Grind/Gore Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzimisce View Post
heh. I was under the impression that it was to demonstrate material you'd written for your band/project...
Nah dude.. if i wanted to do that i would give u the myspace or some demos.. i was not showing off..
P.S: sorry for my english..
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #110
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

I have a really basic fundamental question in GP. How do you change the tempo for certain parts but keep the rest of the song at the previous tempo?

and Lazzari, I guess that would be pretty impressive to hear, but that didn't really do much for me, except make me think about Super Mario Brothers.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #111
Eternal Recurrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nun Stampede! View Post
I have a really basic fundamental question in GP. How do you change the tempo for certain parts but keep the rest of the song at the previous tempo?
F10 or right click.

In return you could check out the midis I posted earlier :D
Eternal Recurrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #112
Lazzari
Grind/Gore Guitarist

Quote:

and Lazzari, I guess that would be pretty impressive to hear, but that didn't really do much for me, except make me think about Super Mario Brothers.
hehehe i know what u mean, gp sound totally sucks ehehe.. and i dont understend ur question dude.. the tempo stuff.. (Im not that good in english hhehehe)..

P.S.: Here you can check some live videos playing some songs www.youtube.com/Slipkyes

P.S 2: Im not trying to show off my skills or anything like that neither im trying to make propaganda for my band hehehe just in case...
Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #113
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Hit f10 on the note you want the slowed tempo to start at, go down to tempo and then change it to whatever. then, on the note you want the tempo to go back to whatever it used to be, hit f10, go to tempo and change it back to the previous tempo.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #114
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

Thanks, Marlon.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #115
Pwnsauce

here's something i worked on a little today

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...db6fb9a8902bda
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #116
Willith
Banned

You'll have to forgive my delayed response, I've been out of state for awhile....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
Well, listen to Foul Body Autopsy and then your song. They weren't even being original themselves,
I do now hear the slight resemblance to FBA you were talking about. It's a slower sweep pattern that sounds chromatic, but is only played twice. I've expounded on that idea, so that's irrelevant. They're a big influence on me, but for the riff you're talking about, they definitely were not the band that influenced that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
I was expecting something amazing the way you talk down to everyone. Just another Necrophagist clone.
^Are you claiming Necrophagist ISN'T amazing? Surely if you were watching my words so closely you would've known I'm a music business major and this wouldn't have surprised you in the least.
And what would constitute amazing? I'm not sure how much more I could squeeze into that 44 seconds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeez View Post

Oh, and, it's good to hear you'll try and put some Stravinsky influence in there, but so far all I hear is mediocre death metal riffs and structure (although it's not even a minute so I admit I shouldn't talk about structure yet).Oh well, I guess I like the 4/4 into 3/4, but I'm total time signature whore so it doesn't count.

^Well, for being a time signature whore, you're not a very good one. The entire thing is in 4/4 (with a shitload of sextuplets). I think you were looking too hard for the Stravinsky influence- because the above two quotes prove its there.... What did Stravinsky say quartertone? "I don't borrow from composers...I steal." There you have it. While the only blatant rip-off is from an Yng tune, I was still able to accomplish what I set out to do, which was nothing more than be comparable to Necro. I almost feel VALIDATED by your negative comments!
I don't aspire to be Steve Vai, because it's unattainable- by me or anyone else here. So you can blow all the originality shit out your righteous asses- I've not heard ONE original idea from any of the (still working) .midi files up. That doesn't mean your music sucks, it just means you shouldn't be calling the kettle, black. I actually enjoyed one of them, can't remember which one now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
AHAHAHAHA, thanks for the lulz Willithomo.

All that shit talking and this is what you have to show for your "music"?

I think I find even worse than a Necrophagist clone because it's only 44 seconds of bullshit.

music for the "dumb masses" > than that crap.
LOL, my oh my, quite defensive aren't you? Your links to your files don't work anymore. Please post new ones so I can criticize them and prove how secure I am in my masculinity.

hahaha, wait, sorry, that's not even criticizing...I don't know what that is....worthless bitch-talk?

BTW, do you have the same problem with Braindrill? Or is that thoughtful bullshit?
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #117
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...db6fb9a8902bda

Heres something I've been working on today. It has my first attempt at purposely writing a polyrhythm, although its really fucking easy. I like writing stuff like this. I've been pretty much stalled on the first song I wrote. I've written a bunch more riffs for it, but I don't feel like they add enough to make it worth adding.

And eternal, I didn't even see your post at first for whatever reason. I wasn't ignoring you or anything, and I'm pretty sure I checked out your midi already, I checked out most of the active links in the thread. I don't remember though, I'll go back now and listen/relisten. I apologize for that, it was unintentional.

I really like how the first one progresses, but its hard to make out a lot of it due to midi, and its too short to really have context. Write something around that, and I'd love to hear it.

And the second one has some unexpected shit going on. I like the part around 1:35 a lot.

Last edited by Nun Stampede!; 09-17-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #118
Pwnsauce

Here's something I wrote a long time ago that I want to use for a death metal intro (if I can ever write some good tech death which is unlikely lol). It reminds me of BioShock.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2qd3vmm2zmm
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #119
Brisket
Lurkin'

^ Those were both pretty fucking cool. @Pwnsauce, it reminds me of something SOP would use as an intro, I like.

Heres a couple things I threw together

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7k5vnl
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hh6ozb
Brisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #120
Winds Of Creation

Older song. Haven't learned it yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zzrjozywjz
Winds Of Creation is offline   Reply With Quote