SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #5581
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSickSix View Post

Just picked her up a few hrs ago -- a black Series 2, about to unbox it and insert it into the system chain.

Can't fucking wait to get drunk/high and listen to music all night!
I feel dumb for asking, but what is that?
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #5582
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

DA converter

pretty damn cool one too. whatup sixsicksix?

Last edited by Grindmasterflesh; 07-28-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Grindmasterflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #5583
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 12 cry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura aboutcry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingInsanity View Post
I feel dumb for asking, but what is that?
i think it's a metronome
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #5584
Erland
två i tarmen!

Erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #5585
sastac

TWO SSDs? Dayum.
I'm gonna wait untill the prices drop even more, 256 GB SSD is still too expensive IMO.
You got one or two 120hz monitors, Erlend?
sastac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #5586
Erland
två i tarmen!

Wut? SSD prices have plummeted about 50% just this last year. I remember buying two Vertex 1 disks 3-4 years ago for abut $5-600 which amounted to a whopping 60GB. Now I paid around $250 for each of the 256GB discs. Lack of HDD`s after the Thailand flooding has made prices on SSD`s go down severely. I got three monitors atm, just one 120Mhz, though. No need for anything more, really, since eyefinity with frames is out of the question.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #5587
sastac

Yeah, a 256 GB SSD from Smaskpung is like 20% of my monthly salary. It's still too expensive for ME right now.
I'll wait till you can get at least a 512GB one for a decent price.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #5588
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 12 cry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura aboutcry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura about
quit copying my upgrades erlando!

why'd you decide to go with the 680 vs. the 7970? my basic deciding factor was price... the specs were just too close imo but i really did want the physx...

i picked up that agility 3 ssd a few posts back for $160 at my local microcenter. i tried to buy two, but they had a limit one per household. not the fastest ssd by any means, but the marvell controller on my mobo blows so it'll do just fine.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #5589
Erland
två i tarmen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastac View Post
Yeah, a 256 GB SSD from Smaskpung is like 20% of my monthly salary. It's still too expensive for ME right now.
I'll wait till you can get at least a 512GB one for a decent price.
Well, I obviously don`t have any insight in your personal economics. Just informing you since it previously seemed like you hadn`t been following the abrupt changes in the market. Also , Smaskpung will directly translate to kiss balls in Norwegian. I will most definitely look into this brand the next time I have a need for an SSD.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #5590
Erland
två i tarmen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry0fth3carr0ts View Post
quit copying my upgrades erlando!

why'd you decide to go with the 680 vs. the 7970? my basic deciding factor was price... the specs were just too close imo but i really did want the physx...

i picked up that agility 3 ssd a few posts back for $160 at my local microcenter. i tried to buy two, but they had a limit one per household. not the fastest ssd by any means, but the marvell controller on my mobo blows so it'll do just fine.
Because I wanted adaptive vsync, GPU boost function and (FXAA/SSAA) which is a way better antialiasing method than what AMD currently has.
If you`re still on SATAII then it wouldn`t really matter much what you buy, in terms of sequential speed, since they will be capped around 250MBs anyway. It`s the random 4kb read/write you need to look for in terms of having any real world difference, aka IOPS. Going from vertex 3 to 4 was also underwhelming, since it`s already so fast that you can`t really decipher the difference, unless you`re benchmarking, so you`re most likely just fine with the Agility SSD. If you`re no on firmware 2.22 yet, I`d suggest you fix that right away.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #5591
sastac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erland View Post
Well, I obviously don`t have any insight in your personal economics. Just informing you since it previously seemed like you hadn`t been following the abrupt changes in the market. Also , Smaskpung will directly translate to kiss balls in Norwegian. I will most definitely look into this brand the next time I have a need for an SSD.
I know about it, man, my fingers itch everytime I see a pricedrop on the SSDs (so that's a lot of finger itches considering I have been following the prices on them). Price/size ratio is not quite right for my wallet just yet though.
Hahahahahaha, it's the same in Swedish, it's just a stupid injoke, nevermind it (for the record, it means Samsung).

I really want a new GFX card as well (or another 560ti so I can run it in SLI), but I have to get a new chassi+mobo for that so eh. And I like only play HAT SIMULATOR 2012 so it's not really necessary atm.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #5592
Erland
två i tarmen!

I knew it meant Samsung since it was discussed previously. Just figured autocorrect was kicking in. 660 is announced for August, so you might wanna check that instead. I always end up playing Twat Simulator too, so sometimes I`ve no clue why I buy this stuff. Cutting edge, bra. The new vsync and SSAA does make a remarkable difference, though.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #5593
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Quote:
B If you`re no on firmware 2.22 yet, I`d suggest you fix that right away.

haven't had any problems.. what should i look out for?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #5594
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Damn Erland, I want to fuck your computer now.
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #5595
Erland
två i tarmen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry0fth3carr0ts View Post

haven't had any problems.. what should i look out for?
That was the firmware the supposedly fixed all the BSOD problems. Either way, 2.22 had even more fixes for the Sandforce controller on Intel setups, so basically stability and speed increase on several instances.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #5596
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Quote:
That was the firmware the supposedly fixed all the BSOD problems. Either way, 2.22 had even more fixes for the Sandforce controller on Intel setups, so basically stability and speed increase on several instances.
i updated to 2.15 when i bought it before i installed windoes. can i update it without doing a clean install? i really don't want to go through all that again...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #5597
Erland
två i tarmen!

Not sure. I always SE my drive after a firmware update. I know the latest firmware for Vertex 4 is a non-destructive flash, and if memory serves me right this is the first of it`s kind in terms of OCZ. It`s prolly in this thread somewhere http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ady-for-update
Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #5598
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

edit: i'm not bothering with this update. it seems that it only fixed a couple of bugs related to coming out of sleep mode. i haven't run into any problems so i'm not fixing what i don't see as broken.

what i want to know is- what's the easiest way to keep some steam games on my ssd and play the games already installed on my 2nd hdd? i can't seem to find an easy way to do this anywhere... do you think the steam client will ever address this?

Last edited by cry0fth3carr0ts; 07-30-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #5599
GEEsu5
Permanently Banned.

i think u have to uninstall it all and reinstall it on the SSD, which would take forever
GEEsu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #5600
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

yeah, i'm almost positive that you do. i just did that. no thx.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 AM   #5601
Erland
två i tarmen!

You can`t flash your SSD via OCZ tools if you`re using it as a system disk. Then you have to use a Linux live CD\USB to circumvent booting into Windows to flash the disk. Easy peasy. There`s also an extensive guide on it on the forum.
Did you even try to Google it? Used to do that for years until I got a decent sized SSD - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7710-tdlc-0426
Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #5602
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

i see words like "linux" and my eyes just glaze over. link to easy peasy plz.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #5603
Erland
två i tarmen!

It`s on the first page I linked you to, dear - http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...-for-OCZ-SSD-s
Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #5604
Mr-Shredz
Death>Fucking>Metal

Rep Power: 6 Mr-Shredz will become famous soon enoughMr-Shredz will become famous soon enough
just got me this bad boy for like half the price from retail- EPIC WIN

Mr-Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #5605
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Pre-ordered the Lykathea Aflame DLP and got some beer.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #5606
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

Binah - Hallucinating in Resurrecture

Found Eater of Birds from this Bulgarian CD store, and it arrived in less than a week
Popegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #5607
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Rep Power: 16 imbutawaveto has a spectacular aura aboutimbutawaveto has a spectacular aura aboutimbutawaveto has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Shredz View Post
just got me this bad boy for like half the price from retail- EPIC WIN

Nice score!! Was thinking of offloading my powerball and getting one of these.

Just came up on this, so stoked.
imbutawaveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #5608
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about
Seeing as my MBP is going to be the last 17", I've decided to slowly soup it up to the best spec possible. So first up is a long-overdue RAM upgrade (SSD prices are still too high for the storage offered).

Just installed it, went from 4GB to 16GB and MOOOOOOOOOOOOTHERRRRFUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK everything is running at the speed of light. Jesus. Why didn't I do this earlier?! Only £58 shipped for that RAM, it's a nobrainer upgrade.
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #5609
Erland
två i tarmen!

Real world performance between 4 and 16GB RAM is pretty minuscule unless you`re constantly running memory hungry programs. I have 16GB and Ì`ve never been able to max out more than 8GB, and that includes three games (Crysis, TF2 and The Witcher 2) plus 20+ tabs in Firefox, Chrome, Cubase etc. Since you don`t have and a lot of RAM, I`d suggest you set up a RAM disk for your most common programs and turn of your pagefile. Unused RAM is pretty useless IMHO. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive
Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #5610
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Real world performance between 4 and 16GB RAM is pretty minuscule unless you`re constantly running memory hungry programs. I have 16GB and Ì`ve never been able to max out more than 8GB, and that includes three games (Crysis, TF2 and The Witcher 2) plus 20+ tabs in Firefox, Chrome, Cubase etc. Since you don`t have and a lot of RAM, I`d suggest you set up a RAM disk for your most common programs and turn of your pagefile. Unused RAM is pretty useless IMHO. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive
Interesting. So I'm using 1333Mhz RAM, still beneficial to use it as a RAM drive? Can I set up a RAM drive for my OS partition?

Anyway, I usually have 100+ (no exaggeration) Firefox tabs. Plus Amarra gets a solid 1GB for cached playing and processing RAM on top of that. There is a tangible difference in startup time and speed of loading songs in Amarra etcetc.
But the main reason to spring for the full 16GB is that I've been doing more large batch RAW post-production in Aperture. That seriously requires the whole RAMmage. I will be working with Photoshop and image stacking programs soon too, and I'm guessing those will benefit from the extra RAM.

EDIT: apparently you can't use it as a boot, and it doesn't work that well in OSX? http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/03/dear-...om-a-ram-disk/

Last edited by discombobulation; 08-04-2012 at 09:19 AM..
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote