SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Anomalous

Anomalous Website

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #151
Metastasis

Chaapy - you are coming out of the outputs of the soundcard into the INPUTS of the monitors. This may sound nitpicky, but it's important to understand the recording chain to prevent confusion.

You should check this one out, Nate uses it for Ontogeny and he's never complained - 10 ins and outs with zero latency hardware monitroign at great price:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOD1010LT
Metastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #152
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metastasis View Post
Chaapy - you are coming out of the outputs of the soundcard into the INPUTS of the monitors. This may sound nitpicky, but it's important to understand the recording chain to prevent confusion.

You should check this one out, Nate uses it for Ontogeny and he's never complained - 10 ins and outs with zero latency hardware monitroign at great price:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOD1010LT
Got it, I was thinking the same thing but I guess I worded it wrong. I understand you can go from an INPUT to another INPUT. Only problem with that soundcard you posted in that link is I have no idea how that would hook up to my Mac. hmmm... I was going to go Firewire but some of these PCI cards sound better. I'm guessing in order to hook up the V-AMP to that card I would need to go from the XLR outputs of the V-AMP into the XLR inputs of the card.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 07-22-2007 at 01:05 PM..
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #153
THATDUDE7
Nihilist

how do you intsall that sound card? im thinking of purchasing it.
THATDUDE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:04 AM   #154
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
Got it, I was thinking the same thing but I guess I worded it wrong. I understand you can go from an INPUT to another INPUT. Only problem with that soundcard you posted in that link is I have no idea how that would hook up to my Mac. hmmm... I was going to go Firewire but some of these PCI cards sound better. I'm guessing in order to hook up the V-AMP to that card I would need to go from the XLR outputs of the V-AMP into the XLR inputs of the card.
Mac's don't have PCI slots? I'm kind of Mac-illitterate, forgive me. And firewire is probably the better route to go, but the PCI card is so much cheaper, and plus you don't have to buy a firewire card (although you probably already have one on Mac).
Old 07-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #155
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Mac's don't have PCI slots? I'm kind of Mac-illitterate, forgive me. And firewire is probably the better route to go, but the PCI card is so much cheaper, and plus you don't have to buy a firewire card (although you probably already have one on Mac).
yep, for Firewire I just go from the Interface right into the Firewire slot. The Interface I was talking about comes with the firewire chord as well. And I'm positive the Mac has a firewire card. The PCI slot would require me to have someone come out to my house and install it for me cause if I fuck it up, Apple is not responsible. I'm thinking of going for the M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface even though I've read some bad reviews on it. Most of the negative reviews are from kids who don't even know how to install the damn thing.

Do you know what type of cable I need for this interface to hook up my guitar? I know the VAMP needs a Female XLR cable to plug into it but I've never seen this before - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

I'm guessing I need a Female on one end and a Male on the other? After figureing this out I'm sooo fucking ordering this shit by Friday, haha.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 07-24-2007 at 02:03 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #156
Metastasis

Quote:
yep, for Firewire I just go from the Interface right into the Firewire slot. The Interface I was talking about comes with the firewire chord as well. And I'm positive the Mac has a firewire card. The PCI slot would require me to have someone come out to my house and install it for me cause if I fuck it up, Apple is not responsible. I'm thinking of going for the M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface even though I've read some bad reviews on it. Most of the negative reviews are from kids who don't even know how to install the damn thing.

Do you know what type of cable I need for this interface to hook up my guitar? I know the VAMP needs a Female XLR cable to plug into it but I've never seen this before - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

I'm guessing I need a Female on one end and a Male on the other? After figureing this out I'm sooo fucking ordering this shit by Friday, haha.
Those are combined XLR/1/4 " TS, meaning you can plug either a mic cable or a 1/4 " instrument/patch cord into either input. I've settled, as well, and it's for sure the firepod.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #157
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Those are combined XLR/1/4 " TS, meaning you can plug either a mic cable or a 1/4 " instrument/patch cord into either input. I've settled, as well, and it's for sure the firepod.
Really? that's fucking awesome, I almost bought $30 XLR cable cause I didn't know what the hell that was. When are you getting the Firepod? I'm ordering so much shit this weekend. Yamaha HS monitors, Cubase 4, EZDrummer and DKFH expansion pack, the M-Audio interface... can't wait!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #158
ruonitb

Weeee...new recording PC ordered today.

CPU: E6750! :D
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #159
ontogeny

the firepod is a really cool interface. I would actually recommend motu firewire devices as well. They are less "glitchy" then the firepod.
ontogeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #160
coloredCYANIDE
Derp

Quote:
Wow, this a great improvement! In both composition and sound. Although, I still think DFH Superior would do you better, but you got some pretty natural tone out of the samples you're using using. Also, the overall mix is kind of dark and maybe a little quiet - did you try to master it? I recommend Isotope Ozone and Waves plug ins to EQ/master.

Nice solo! Keep it coming, man.
I had to turn the mix down a whole bunch cause the bass kept clipping. There's 2 bass tracks, 4 guitar tracks (each side has one track focusing on mid and treble tone, one with mid and low tone, and from there it's easy to mix and match). I'll check out that program for EQ and mastering, I've been looking for something like that.

Thanks Tim, the first solo is mine, the 2nd is the other guitarist. I'll keep you posted on future recordings!
coloredCYANIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #161
ruonitb

If a track is clipping then you have to use the compressor! :)
Then you can turn the whole track louder.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #162
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
If a track is clipping then you have to use the compressor! :)
Then you can turn the whole track louder.
what compressor do you use in Cubase SX3? that Multiband one is fucking awesome!!! I just use the presets for now cause I know fuck all about compression. I know it's your best friend, but understand how to use it is over my head right now. Do you use it mostly as a send effect or a line effect? I'd imagine it's suppose to be used as a line effect so it effects all of your audio signal right?

I want to use the Drumset preset in the Multiband Compressor in Cubase but I can only add it to a certain track (the kick, the snare, the overhead, the room, etc.) I want the whole kit compressed using it but I can't use that effect on a MIDI file. How do I record the MIDI info into an Audio track? Everytime I open the MIDI track with an Audio track and hit record, I get no sound on the Audio track when I play it back?

Last edited by ChAAPY; 07-27-2007 at 09:26 PM..
Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #163
ruonitb

Hi!

I think I downloaded a few different compressors (there are free ones) - every compressor sounds different.
Try to get used to compressors, using presets isnīt the best thing to do...play around with it and read about it; there are several sites on the net. :)

If you want the whole drum track as a audio file, just do a mixdown (set the drum midi chan to solo play, so it only plays the midi chan, then make the audio mixdown).

If you record bass, you can record with the compressor if you want...not too much tho. Same with vocals I think.

You should use different settings for every instrument of course.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #164
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Hi!

I think I downloaded a few different compressors (there are free ones) - every compressor sounds different.
Try to get used to compressors, using presets isnīt the best thing to do...play around with it and read about it; there are several sites on the net. :)

If you want the whole drum track as a audio file, just do a mixdown (set the drum midi chan to solo play, so it only plays the midi chan, then make the audio mixdown).

If you record bass, you can record with the compressor if you want...not too much tho. Same with vocals I think.

You should use different settings for every instrument of course.
haha, yes a mixdown! I hate getting frustrated with software sometimes when the solution is alwasy so simple.

Any recommendations for Compression Plug-Ins? I'm going to do more reading on what everything on it does (threshold, ratio, gain, etc.)... I'm just using some presets right now for rough demos. I do want to learn how to use one because they are pretty much essential now in recording.

Do you usually record you guitars in mono then pan them L and R? Or do you record in Stereo and pan L and R? n00b question.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #165
Metastasis

Waves! R-comp, Lin-MultiBand, Ultramaximizer.

ETA: Mono, panned. Up to you if you want to go for the quad tracking or not.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #166
ruonitb

Check this site for free compressors:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode...f&q=compressor

there are a lot of other sites too of course.

I record mono and pan the tracks. If I want two guitar tracks, I record it twice, since I wonīt get the "double-effect" with recording stereo.
Then I could also record the guitar mono, copy the track and change some settings. But thatīs not too useful...if you want to double guitar tracks, you have to play them twice or more.

You double the guitars because you want a "bigger/fatter" sound, and the sound gets bigger/fatter because noone can play exactly the same two times...and the little differences in the two guitar tracks make it sound better (actually thats not a new idea or something - classical orchestras have for example not only one viola, since 5 violas sound better than one (its not about the volume)).
So, really double the guitar tracks, donīt record stereo. ;)
Old 07-29-2007, 06:19 AM   #167
THATDUDE7
Nihilist

this thread is awesome.
THATDUDE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #168
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Check this site for free compressors:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode...f&q=compressor

there are a lot of other sites too of course.

I record mono and pan the tracks. If I want two guitar tracks, I record it twice, since I wonīt get the "double-effect" with recording stereo.
Then I could also record the guitar mono, copy the track and change some settings. But thatīs not too useful...if you want to double guitar tracks, you have to play them twice or more.

You double the guitars because you want a "bigger/fatter" sound, and the sound gets bigger/fatter because noone can play exactly the same two times...and the little differences in the two guitar tracks make it sound better (actually thats not a new idea or something - classical orchestras have for example not only one viola, since 5 violas sound better than one (its not about the volume)).
So, really double the guitar tracks, donīt record stereo. ;)
Ahh, I understand now. I always wondered why musicians recorded another take instead of just copy/paste the original waveform. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just got all my software/monitors in the other day. Sooo fucking excited to hook this shit up this weekened.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #169
ruonitb

Nice! :)

Damn...I should get some monitors as well... :/
Old 08-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #170
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Nice! :)

Damn...I should get some monitors as well... :/
I'm messing around in Cubase 4 right now and when I open EZDrummer it doesn't automatically route the drums to seperate channels. I remember you saying that you may have to do it manually but I don't remember how. I'm going to search and see if it's in this thread.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #171
ruonitb

It doesnīt? I was told that every version highter than Cubase SX2 does it automatically.

Why arenīt you using Cubase SX3 anyway? :P

Basically routing is explained in the cubase manual...I will try and find something on the net though.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #172
tenorbass

Could someone explain to me how to dump MIDI GP5 drums into Cubase SX3 and EZDrummer
tenorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #173
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
It doesnīt? I was told that every version highter than Cubase SX2 does it automatically.

Why arenīt you using Cubase SX3 anyway? :P

Basically routing is explained in the cubase manual...I will try and find something on the net though.
nope, fucking sucks too. I can't even plug into the back of my computer with my guitar and get any sound. Routing in Cubase 4 only works with Rewire 2 and I have no clue what that is. Damn this is frustrating.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #174
ruonitb

did you buy it? :X
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #175
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
did you buy it? :X
yup. I wonder if it doesn't automatically route it cause I haven't installed my audio interface yet. probablly gonna have to install some ASIO drivers to get this to work... bah this sucks.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #176
ChAAPY
it's one louder

hmmm I wonder if this is it - Due to the limit of one output channel, instrument tracks play only the first voice of a multi-timbral VST Instrument. If you want to use all voices, you have to set up a MIDI channels in combination with the multi-timbral VST Instrument like in normal VST handling.

haha, after typing it I don't think that's it either.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #177
ChAAPY
it's one louder

BAHAHAHAH FUCK YOU CUBASSE HAHAHAH!!!!!

I figured it out. Devices>VST Instruments> then there is this LITTLE SMALL AS FUCK icon you can hardly see and you click on it and set it to "Activate All Outputs"... Why is it that the most frustrating thing in computer software always turns out to be the easiest thing.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #178
ruonitb

nice one :P
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #179
Metastasis

Quote:
BAHAHAHAH FUCK YOU CUBASSE HAHAHAH!!!!!

I figured it out. Devices>VST Instruments> then there is this LITTLE SMALL AS FUCK icon you can hardly see and you click on it and set it to "Activate All Outputs"... Why is it that the most frustrating thing in computer software always turns out to be the easiest thing.
Good to know. How is EZ Drummer?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #180
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Good to know. How is EZ Drummer?
Pretty useless unless you have one of the expansion packs, haha. It's great though, really easy to use and sounds pretty good so far. I haven't hooked up the monitors or interface yet so I'm still learning this stuff with crappy built-in computer speakers. I'll post a clip of something for sure when I get it all up and going.