SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
M.Gilbert

Guitar playthrough video "miming"

As I lay here with insomnia, I figured I'd start a discussion on something that's been on my mind lately, as I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on this subject: Guitar play-through videos and/or lessons, etc, where what you hear is pre-recorded and what you see is the guitarist basically playing along while "miming" the parts.

Of course there are several different ways people record guitar play-through or lesson videos.

1. Guitar is played live, through speakers/amp and the sound is picked up from the camera mic, or recorded direct. Whatever. Either way it's a live recording where what you hear is the same performance as the in the video. Simple and as legit as it gets.

2. Similar to #1 but played with a backing track. Same recording methods. Only way to get cheesy is with the backing track and volume of the live guitar track. If the backing track has guitars in it and the live guitar is at a lower volume so what you hear is mostly the backing track, it's not much of a live play-through.

3. Mime method. The guitarist pre-records the guitar track, then tries to match that with video of him/her playing along to it. Audio is not live.

It seems like 90% of the videos I've seen are using the mime method. And I personally have mixed feelings about it. Is it cheating? Is it cheesy? Is it ok to do because just about everyone else does it? Is it totally legit since that person did at some point actually record that stuff? Is it ok because it's the most practical way to get good audio/video?

I've never made or posted videos of myself playing other than live videos with the band. And lately as I was thinking about actually getting around to doing something like that, I started thinking about the different ways to record, and how I feel about them. As well as how practical they are and what would give the best results.

I'm sure a lot of people don't give a shit, but I'm still curious to see what people's opinions might be on this subject.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
Sammy J
Mother War

Re: Guitar playthrough video "miming"

Personally don't see the point in recordings with the mime method. Live ones, yeah I think that's cool-but mine is pretty pointless.
Sammy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Alejandro4891

i never really got into the whole video recording myself while playing. all of what i record is plain audio and i upload it straight onto soundcloud, even if it is just ideas or jamming for myself.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

Miming doesn't bug me when I see it, but I prefer to do all of my playthrough videos live. I guess it's just principle. I think the main purpose of a playthrough video is to show a song through the guitarist's perspective, bring to light any mysteries that a listener might want to see unraveled. Miming doesn't really get in the way of that.

All that being said, recording your videos live is just a good exercise in endurance, stamina and consistency, which can only make you a better player. I've been offered to have videos done for me with higher production quality, various camera angles, etc. I've turned the offer down cause it honestly does feel cheesy to just record something and then film it later. Gotta keep it raw and real.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
M.Gilbert

I agree with everything you said Oleg, except it does sometimes bug me when I see others do it. Sometimes not as much.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Gangrene

Look everyone! I can totally play this song flawlessly!

(song is clearly prerecorded)

The average idiot watching won't know or care. Thousands of views and inevitable attention/e-popularity

It bothers me to a degree, but cheating is everywhere in media and life in general. The people who care about authenticity with live playing are generally musicians, which is a small fraction.

Everything is a popularity contest, etc.

The spoiled rich kid with an axefxII, $2000 guitar, $2500 mac, $300 monitors, protools, gopro, etc will probably pre-record his stuff because he's gotten everything easy his whole life and has too much going on to learn a song from front to back.

He'll get more views with his "sick" angles and production values over someone with a fraction of the budget/isn't as extroverted/can play a full song because he has more free time alone.
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Necrovore
Ritually Executed

I recently did a quasi-live playthrough (a la #2, more or less) for my band in advance of our album's release. I couldn't tolerate the thought of going full-on mime, but I knew it would be difficult to get a good playthrough done fully live, so I got a few different angles and cut the videos together and took the best parts. It was right at the end of the recording process, so it was probably the tightest I could have done, and took a lot less time than any one of the on-album guitar tracks took to record. I wanted it to sound decent and I'm simply not the tightest guitarist, so it was a challenge... still, the mime technique bothers me, so I had to try to produce something with at least a degree of authenticity.
Necrovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrovore View Post
I recently did a quasi-live playthrough (a la #2, more or less) for my band in advance of our album's release. I couldn't tolerate the thought of going full-on mime, but I knew it would be difficult to get a good playthrough done fully live, so I got a few different angles and cut the videos together and took the best parts. It was right at the end of the recording process, so it was probably the tightest I could have done, and took a lot less time than any one of the on-album guitar tracks took to record. I wanted it to sound decent and I'm simply not the tightest guitarist, so it was a challenge... still, the mime technique bothers me, so I had to try to produce something with at least a degree of authenticity.
I hear ya. And I have absolutely no problem with clips of live playing being spliced together for whatever reasons. its still "live" imo.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 AM   #9
M.Gilbert

Forgot to mention I love Oleg's videos. Good examples of the #2 method. The live guitar is audible yet blends well with the backing tracks.