SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #61
LesserAnimal

Rep Power: 0 LesserAnimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
Some of you Americans seem to be talking about the army as if it were a job like any other... is it just me, or does it actually involve, you know, training to kill out of blind obedience to causes you probably don't believe in?
If someone chooses to enlist with a military currently fighting two wars, their firing at enemies wouldn't be "out of blind obedience" almost by definition.

I am biased against enlisting. I'm not sure Marlon is getting the kind of advice he was looking for, though. I think he knows how to weigh risk against whatever personal reasons (e.g. goals) he has for considering enlistment, which he did not share. For that reason, making the conversation political or about PTSD may not be best.

: /
LesserAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #62
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooptastik View Post
Seriously. Just take a step back and shut the fuck up. Such a stupid fucking thing to say.
you're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
Some of you Americans seem to be talking about the army as if it were a job like any other... is it just me, or does it actually involve, you know, training to kill out of blind obedience to causes you probably don't believe in?
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #63
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserAnimal View Post
If someone chooses to enlist with a military currently fighting two wars, their firing at enemies wouldn't be "out of blind obedience" almost by definition.
This.

I figured someone would turn this into an America vs. Europe thing. If I wouldn't have gotten dual citizenship, enlisting would have been mandatory, just been thinking about the future recently, and there are a lot of different jobs depending on ASVAB score I could get involved in.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #64
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 22 De Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really niceDe Profoundis is just really nice
You'd be a Warrior Of Modern Death...

Rep me for the Emperor reference!

Also don't bother enlisting, we need your gat skills more than your ability to grab oil.
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #65
quartertone
Academmik musition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserAnimal View Post
They make a choice at the beginning, yes. But that choice entails giving up many later choices both foreseen and unforeseen, whether it's about cleaning toilets or shooting children.

Quote:
I am biased against enlisting. I'm not sure Marlon is getting the kind of advice he was looking for, though.
Then he should be more specific. His original post was fairly open.
quartertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #66
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by modern death View Post
just been thinking about the future recently
This is what I figured. But that's a good thing. I used to know so many people who didn't and probably still don't. I knew this one girl back in HS who joined USAFA as soon as she graduated. She was in the top 10% of her class and could have went to any college in the country, but she chose to enlist. We all thought she was nuts at the time. I hadn't seen her in almost 10 years until about 3 months ago I saw her jogging in my old neighborhood and talked with her a bit. She had nothing but great things to say about her experience. She traveled all over the world, met tons of new people and contacts, etc. Made it sound like a vacation almost. All I could think was, "yeah, sure.." but what do I know?

I recently played a benefit show to help raise money and awareness for Iraqi kids in need of wheelchairs. They had representatives from Wounded Warriors and Vets from previous and current wars there and I got a chance to speak with some of them after the performance. I felt so out of place given my views even though it wasn't the first time I've spoken with a war vet, but after seeing the good a lot of them have done for those kids, putting their political beliefs aside, and the risk they take to deliver those wheelchairs... I mean, who else is going to do it? It's easy to criticize and lump everyone into one group but not everyone who joins is looking to fight a war, some want to help those who have becomes victims of it. I understand the other side of the argument quite well, but I no longer have this unbreakable bias towards enlisting and recruiting because you can't assume to know what motivates someone to do something you think is crazy. I just don't like how our society puts this group on a higher pedestal than the rest of us. I don't have to enlist to make a difference/sacrifice to the greater good of my community. No one does.

tl:dr - let's chill.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #67
Acatalepsy
sudo

Making awesome dm/bm >>>>> being in the army.
Acatalepsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #68
pooptastik
son of cosmos

hey guys, sorry for being out of this board for a while, i usually lurk these days but when i saw what Flayed said, i couldn't help myself.

Marlon,

i have 2 dear friends who went to the USMC, both who already finished their original services, 1 is now a civilian [who sometimes lurks here, he posted a picture of himself] and the other reenlisted but now in the Army. the USMC is usually the most under-funded compared to all the other branches, if you're looking for financial, educational benefits and wider benefits, your best bet is the Army, that's why my friend didn't reenlist as a Marine. Insurance: Dental & Health i believe are covered, and if you're ever thinking of starting a family the military would help you out too. Obama pushed for a bill for veterans who can be financially aided if they want to go to college after their service.

The people that Flayed stereotypically describe are folks who originally did not have an identity of their own, when they joined the military, they assimilate it as their own. My friends are still as goofy and awesome as they were before they joined the military but of course they've experienced things that a civilian like me would probably never ever see, so expect that. You know who you are and if you have a strong sense of character and conviction you won't fall under the same stereotype.
pooptastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

Rep Power: 19 Cloaca will become famous soon enoughCloaca will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayedandskinned View Post
if he hates the military now, they didn't fuck him up too bad.
Tell that to the burns on his face. But my point was the military/US govt fucked him up by what they did to the people in Fallujah.

He is black btw so no doubt he got used as cannon fodder.
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #70
Nailed To Gold

Nailed To Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #71
Annoying Forum Cunt

Rep Power: 0 Annoying Forum Cunt is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been in the Marine Corps for a couple of years now. I like it... You meet people from all walks of life, visit shitholes around the globe, and wear an uncomfortable uniform. Plus guns are awesome.
Annoying Forum Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #72
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N.
ain't got no agua

I would only consider the chair force or navy because your chances of seeing combat are limited. One of my uncles went into the AF in the early 80s and was later deployed during Desert Storm, but he repaired and maintained Apache helicopters so he never really went into hostile territory. He transferred to the Department of Defense, worked for 20 years and with his combined service he retired with a full pension and began working in private sector negotiating contracts with the DoD. So he's essentially making double the pay for the same amount of work.

I'd recommend looking into civil service with the federal government before enlisting in any branch of military. I'm personally considering the Department of State because you work internationally, primarily at US Embassies and they pay for your house/apartment on top of your salary. What has me concerned is that I may have to spend some time at a hardship post prior to being able to apply for jobs of my choosing.
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #73
Mol
WOMBBEATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca View Post
cannon fodder.

love that game

also Marlon, have you considered joining military intelligence?
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #74
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
also Marlon, have you considered joining military intelligence?
I think you're on to something here.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #75
GrindYourMind
Jedi Master

Man, I have a criminal history that keeps me out of that sweet job. I really say you should look into that Air Force or Navy and perhaps find better people to ask about it than an online death metal forum...Ya'mean?
GrindYourMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #76
blooddrunk
contagion

This dude i go all the way back to 1st grade with just committed suicide on Saturday. He was a army ranger and had been suffering from ptsd for a long time. Had a kid and just gotten married.
blooddrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #77
quartertone
Academmik musition

God, how awful. What's even worse is that it's not even that uncommon.
quartertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #78
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
military intelligence?
Two words combined that can't make sense.
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #79
Alejandro4891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post
Two words combined that can't make sense.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote