SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #5011
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 12 cry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura aboutcry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura about
i watched that documentary that jamie kennedy did on netflix called "heckler"

it was humbling to say the least.
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #5012
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

B Movie party last night...

SwedeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #5013
_Hez_
Hez

doco about indie game devs, namely the dudes who made braid, super meat boy and fez. tis good.
_Hez_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #5014
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMetal View Post
Seriously thought that was Anders Breivik for a second.
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #5015
Skull Knight

The most misleading DVD cover for one of the funniest B-movies ever. Not intended to be funny but the cheese is GREAT. HIGHLY recommended.

John Carter ... disappointing and yet had a lot of potential, great production value on film. The babe is hot but doesn't warrant a re-watch or first time watch even.

Fantastic performance by Tilda. Movie of the week.
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #5016
novareaper
»\(░_o)/»

so who here saw prometheus?
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #5017
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 17 Cognitive Defeat will become famous soon enoughCognitive Defeat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by novareaper View Post
so who here saw prometheus?
http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=248388
Old 06-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #5018
novareaper
»\(░_o)/»

:luk3
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #5019
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #5020
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix
BlackWhereItCounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMetal View Post
B Movie party last night...
got a good one for ya

a Creepshow style anthology that works.

Get past the first short and there is ......some good shiiiiit the last 3 are brilliant

Last edited by Hunter Drugs-Hendrix; 06-30-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #5021
Daniel08

Samurai Cop is certainly a must see movie.

Watched this yesterday, I enjoyed Braindead so I thought I would give it a shot. It's basically about Aliens harvesting humans for there fast food chain, its a lot of fun and pretty much what you want in a b grade movie.
Daniel08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #5022
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about
How come this thread is buried so many pages back? Are people just not watching movies anymore?? hahaha

Watched a coupla films recently...

The Horseman

Not a bad film, but nothing that spectacular either. Your standard revenge romp. Does well considering the apparent budget, but at times it does show through. The character development of the main protagonist is okay, but seemed to lack significant depth, perhaps due to the lack of lengthy dialogue.

Carnage (2011)

This was nice and quaint, I really liked it. Great adaptation of a play into film. Manages to fold in just the right level of realism that elevates it beyond theatre, and the acting from all the cast make it have momentum throughout. Flow of dialogue is brilliant and the proof is in its ability to captivate you consistently despite being shackled inside the setting of one apartment.

The House of the Devil

Hmmm, a bit divided over this one. On one hand it had a great throwback feel to older horror movies, without getting silly. The beginning was quite refined and suspended you fairly effectively, but the ending was a bit of a farce IMO. Too ridiculous to be believable - in turn breaking the tension in an ineffective way. When things start unfolding rapidly towards the end, it's just an "um, okay, that is happening" kind of reaction. Overall it left me a bit cold.

Pusher trilogy - first and second parts, I have not yet seen the third part yet.

The first part was great. Pacing in the beginning dragged ever so slightly, but the rapid unraveling of events at the end was somewhat exhilarating.

Love how it has the balls to just leave it without any sense of resolution, unlike 99% of trilogies where the ending is ambiguous due to uncertainty about future funding or whatever.

Second part was also fantastic. Better pacing, and surprisingly quite a bit more emotionally engaging. The first one felt much grittier and unforgiving.
Looking forward to the final installment.

Polisse (2011)

Caught this at the local shack. Good movie, if a little ambitious. Why ambitious? They try to depict and characterise with depth, and entire child protection squad of ~10 people. They don't really try to cut corners with the characterisation either, they try to pack in depth for each and every person in the team, which I really admire. And they largely succeed, which is even more impressive! As a commenter noted, it aims to characterise in a similar fashion to The Wire, and I would agree with that comparison. The plot is centred around a bunch of cases that they deal with, but they really just form a scaffold on which to hang the intricate interactions of the squad, both at work and outside of it. On top of all that, the cast is studded with many of the top French actors/actresses, which helps the believability and natural vibe portrayed in the film greatly. The only drawback was the dense dialogue, which didn't really let up much at all. This made the pacing a bit of a strain at times, with long sections of intense argumentative dialogue almost saturating you as an audience member. Overall though, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It's just a solid piece of cinema.

Last edited by discombobulation; 06-29-2012 at 10:35 PM..
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #5023
Goaters
無月

Rep Power: 17 Goaters will become famous soon enoughGoaters will become famous soon enough
Need to get my hands on that Pusher trilogy.

went to see this with my gf on my bday.
It's rubish, the acting is horrible, Charlize Theron looks like she's constipated the entire film. the rhythm and story telling of the film is like it was told by a toddler (this happens and then this and then this and OH, this as wel.. blah blah)
There's a big Mononoke Hime rip-off vibe to this film.
Should have gone to Moonrise Kingdom instead.
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #5024
Eternal Recurrence

DIS GON B' GUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters View Post
that's a given.
Eternal Recurrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #5025
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 20 Lichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Yes, you do.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #5026
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Damn, this thread reminded me I haven't watched a movie since Prometheus. What the fuck is wrong with me?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #5027
Corpseifier

Basket case
Dogs of war
The Pit
Zone Troopers
Convoy
Cherry 2000

Last edited by Corpseifier; 06-30-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Corpseifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #5028
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix
BlackWhereItCounts

Quote:

went to see this with my gf on my bday.
It's rubish, the acting is horrible, Charlize Theron looks like she's constipated the entire film. the rhythm and story telling of the film is like it was told by a toddler (this happens and then this and then this and OH, this as wel.. blah blah)
There's a big Mononoke Hime rip-off vibe to this film.
saw snow white on mushrooms and was fun...but it probably did suck

Moonrise Kingdom was great! I'm not the biggest fan of the director ...but this was perfect..

reminded me of this, same pre-teen romance comedy theme...highly recommended

This was great if you like late 70's gritty cop flicks (I fucking love em)

The New Centurions

Last edited by Hunter Drugs-Hendrix; 06-30-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #5029
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

Deliver us from Evil (2006, documentary)
If you haven┤t seen this - watch it.

Last edited by Grindmasterflesh; 07-01-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Grindmasterflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #5030
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 20 Lichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura aboutLichtbringer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpseifier View Post
Convoy
Boy, did this suck for a Peckinpah movie. And pretty much as a movie in general.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #5031
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about
Just finished watching Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, after watching the seasons.

Liked the movie allot but didn't really like allot of the seasons. The episodes had their moments that I liked, those touches where Lynch's visual style shines through, but was expecting something more. Idk why though, seeing as how its a soap opera/crime drama/sci fi style show on network television. I can appreciate how many boundaries it pushed, but still isn't something I would watch again, I think.

Now the movie was more up my alley with its darker moods and eerie visual style that I like from Lynch. Really liked how more in depth if a look you got into Laura's life. Just wish the whole series could have been more like the movie. All in all, enjoyed.
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #5032
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 12 discombobulation has a spectacular aura aboutdiscombobulation has a spectacular aura about

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Great documentary. Really feel for Steve, and the glimpse at the personas of everyone involved was pretty intriguing.

Also makes me appreciate oldschool games a lot more. Ones where you just outright get bitchslapped if you aren't up to par. No regenerating health or hint boxes hahaha, just plain trial and error and grind. The level of satisfaction obtained from conquering those games is probably far higher than mastering a modern game, IMO.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #5033
_Hez_
Hez

I watched Prometheus. It was shit. I don't recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discombobulation View Post
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Great documentary. Really feel for Steve, and the glimpse at the personas of everyone involved was pretty intriguing.

The documentary was more about story telling rather than actually documenting. The race between the two main characters actually should have included some other dude who was record breaking along side them, but they chose to focus on the two characters. The doco decided to make it seem like there was more conflict than there was between the two characters, but in reality they were friends. A lot of the events didn't happen like the doco portrays. The final record breaking that the nice guy does at the end was already broken again by the other dude by the time they showed it on film or something. I'm saying this from the top of my head; but basically, there's all this inconsistency that you can read about on that judges forum (that old guy in the movie) or on IMDB.

Still a great movie.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #5034
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix
BlackWhereItCounts

[QUOTE=_Hez_;3829301]I watched Prometheus. It was shit. I don't recommend it. "end quote"

I just don't understand how people didn't have fun with it ...or i guess the reasoning of not enjoy'n the film

It's just si-fi fun..same as Alien(s) have always been

were y'all expecting the flick to change your life somehow?

anyway..this was great...

Last edited by Hunter Drugs-Hendrix; 07-01-2012 at 05:54 AM..
Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #5035
_Hez_
Hez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Drugs-Hendrix View Post
I just don't understand how people didn't have fun with it ...or i guess the reasoning of not enjoy'n the film

It's just si-fi fun..same as Alien(s) have always been

were y'all expecting the flick to change your life somehow?
I don't go in with low expectations for a movie just because it's sci-fi. I didn't know it was related to the alien series until I saw the ending. I've never watched any of the alien series except for alien vs predator, which I stopped watching once I had watched enough to know it was shit.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #5036
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix
BlackWhereItCounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hez_ View Post
I've never watched any of the alien series except for alien vs predator
Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #5037
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

"the story of fishbone narrated by laurence fishburne"... wtf is this
Old 07-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #5038
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hez_ View Post

The documentary was more about story telling rather than actually documenting. The race between the two main characters actually should have included some other dude who was record breaking along side them, but they chose to focus on the two characters. The doco decided to make it seem like there was more conflict than there was between the two characters, but in reality they were friends. A lot of the events didn't happen like the doco portrays. The final record breaking that the nice guy does at the end was already broken again by the other dude by the time they showed it on film or something. I'm saying this from the top of my head; but basically, there's all this inconsistency that you can read about on that judges forum (that old guy in the movie) or on IMDB.

Still a great movie.
Interesting!

I knew thay had taken some artistic liberties with the depiction of the feud, but it sure as hell did make it captivating. More importantly, it brought the highly emotive side of the whole thing right to the forefront which is what humanised the whole docu

But yeah, agreed, great stuff.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #5039
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Watching this right now:

DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #5040
Goaters
無月

Rep Power: 17 Goaters will become famous soon enoughGoaters will become famous soon enough

Made me want to drink coffee and smoke. Cate Blanchett's scene felt awkward as fuck and she was playing both characters... it's manly gibberish but Tom Waits and Bill Murray rule.

Got the Pusher trilogy so Will watch that when I have the time.
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote