SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Acoustic guitar

In the market for an acoustic guitar (steel string). I've never owned one, and I would be ok with spending $1000 or maybe SLIGHTLY more for the right thing, but if I could get a guitar I loved for $700-800 that would be a great thing.

A friend of mine has a Martin around that price point (not sure which model) which I've played and liked it. I was playing a few Martins in a store tonight - the 0015 and the D0015-M I believe.

First of all, I know Martin is a respected company. Am I hurting myself if I largely restrict my search to these?

Second: I didn't play any of the "normal looking" models. I was pretty attracted to the mahogany, but obviously that shouldn't be the deciding factor. What are people's opinions on these?

I think I liked the deep tone of the dread, but it was a couple hundred dollars more than the 0015 I was playing (which I still thought sounded good). I heard that the smaller guitar can have better articulation. I thought I sensed that a little bit, but then I second guessed myself.

I know everyone says you just need to play it and decide which sound you like best, but since I don't play acoustic guitar right now it's harder for me to hear what I want. And I'm wondering if my ear could fool me while sitting in the store for a short time.

Also I think your ear will get used to the sound of a guitar to an extent (like how people always claim the guitar/speakers whatever change after they have them for a month or so). And I definitely liked the 0015 before I tried the other dreadnought, so is it really worth $200 more?

Ok, any thoughts appreciated. I am inclined to make a relatively hasty purchase because I really want the damn thing!
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Also, there are two versions of some of these: ie 00-15 vs 00-15M.

It seems like the M is pure mahogany which looks slightly nicer, but they sound very similar. But I can't tell if there are any significant quality differences for the $200 extra you pay.

Here's what I found on another board:

"it appears that the non m version may sometimes be sapele, where the m version is always mahogany. the fingerboard on the non m version can be either eir or morado, where it's always eir on the m version. the m series has a bone nut, the non m version has plastic, well, corian. the pins on the m version are ebony - not so on the non m version. all in all, the m version has some very nice appointments including the bone nut, as well as a guarantee they don't use cheaper woods on it, where with the non m version, cheaper woods may be used. "

I can't understand all of that. Fingerboard material, nut material, pins...do these things matter at all?
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote