Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chaos in Tejas May 31st - June 3rd, 2012 @ Austin, Texas
Chaos In Tejas Site

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

disGUSt(tx) is on a distinguished road
Your favorite ATX food:

I'm a vegetarian so I'm a little biased. This region of Texas is known for it's BBQ, so if anyone has knowledge on that please share. If you're a vegetarian like myself, you will probably find Austin delicious, even the restaurants which don't specialize in veggie food will likely have vegetarian options which will still blow you away.

Veggie Heaven, Guadalupe and MLK. Some locals will try to call this place overrated, but I never get tired and almost HAVE to eat there every time I visit Austin. If you're a fan of asian styled "faux-meat" you will likely love this place, I've only had a few better, and it's by far the cheapest I've found anywhere of this style. Definitely worth checking out. I highly reccommend the Tangerine Mushrooms and Protein 5000. Also, they have unlimited rice, which is always nice if you're the type who likes 2 or 3 bowls in one sitting with their dinner.

the Deli at the Wheatsville Coop Grocer, I tend to be on "Team Veggie Heaven" consider people tend to prefer one or the other (even though they're totally different cuisine and shouldn't even be compared.) If you're in the mood for a sandwich, this is where I would go.

Bouldin Creek this place is my favorite for breakfast in Austin. The vegan/vegetarian options are awesome, and even if you're not vegan, their tofu scramble is incredible and worth trying over their eggs.

Kerbey Lane Cafe is good and comparable to Bouldin Creek. A bit pricey but they have the perk of being open pretty late. They have everything from Tex-mex, to breakfast food, and lots of vegetarian options as well. There's a couple of locations too.

Ken's Donuts on Guadalupe, is technically not a restaurant, is still worth mentioning because they have KILLER samosas, which are priced very economically. This is often the first place I stop when I come into town. They are also 24 hours, which makes for plenty of opportunities to go. If it's 4 am and you can't afford Kerbey Lane, hit this place up, you can make a meal out of a couple of samosas for sure.

If you're not from Texas and you want the Texas "cheap-ass taco stand" experience, hit up Tamale House This place is CHEAP as hell. I dare you to try to eat 5 dollars worth of tacos from here. They don't have very good hours, this might be a place for breakfast. I tend to eat here a lot in Austin when I'm on a budget, which I most likely will be at Chaos to save money for beer, merch and etc. Typical taco stand menu, unbeatable price.

I'm pretty sure a lot of meat-eaters and locals are all about Chuys, which is Tex-Mex, pretty stylish and one of the more popular restaraunts in town. I haven't been there in years, but I loved this place as a kid. Might be the place you want to go for a burger or fajitas or something. Worth mentioning is their nacho bar which is unlimited and free if you purchase a drink. Exploit that shit.

There's more, but those are the places I typically get down with. Feel free to add your own!

One thing I'm glad I remembered, is that the pizza places on 6th Street and Red River (near the venues) are HORRENDOUSLY overpriced, mediocre-good pizza but seriously like 30 dollars for a cheese pizza that barely beats Dominos. BUT there's a weird underground operation that goes where they sell their pizzas for really cheap to dudes who sell them on the street for $5-10, which makes the pizza MUCH more worth buying. Death Metal Pizza sucks, I know it's a cool name but it's one of the places I'm talking about. Avoid it.
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
modern death
Hails

modern death will become famous soon enough
Chipotle.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
FTS
I Give Up

FTS is on a distinguished road
Went to Smitty's in Lockhart. Best damn BBQ I've ever had in my life. I also hit up a few restaurants on Guadalupe, mostly for the breakfast tacos. The dudes from The Roller recommended Tamale House but I didn't get a chance to go there. Maybe this year. And agreed, Hoeks does suck.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
restaurants on Guadalupe
lol, like 4 of the places I posted are on Guadalupe. Maybe we'll hit up Veggie Heaven one day while we're there dude.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by modern death View Post
Chipotle.
I like Chipotle but Freebirds >.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
RottingBeercan
littered

RottingBeercan is on a distinguished road
we got a Freebirds in Tulsa now. im gonna be in ATX this weekend and so far am wanting to go to Salt Lick BBQ and Round Rock Donuts
RottingBeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
FTS
I Give Up

Are you dudes talking about the chain Chipotle or something really local I haven't heard of? Living in Chicago where the Mexican food is very diverse from their respective regions, I feel really jaded about Mexican food, plus I get irritated whenever somebody says "Guac" instead of Guacamole.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottingBeercan View Post
we got a Freebirds in Tulsa now. im gonna be in ATX this weekend and so far am wanting to go to Salt Lick BBQ and Round Rock Donuts
Nice, I see they are expanding outside of TX. Wish I could go this weekend but I got really sick this week and I'm still recovering. You guys have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Are you dudes talking about the chain Chipotle or something really local I haven't heard of? Living in Chicago where the Mexican food is very diverse from their respective regions, I feel really jaded about Mexican food, plus I get irritated whenever somebody says "Guac" instead of Guacamole.
Probably talking about the chain because they're everywhere here. I say "Guac" all the time, for the sake of saving 3 syllables worth of energy. And this is Texas dude, I know you guys got lots of Mexicans up there and all, but seriously it's a little funny to be too jaded about your Chicago Mexican food to try the Texas stuff. It's like not trying the pizza in Italy cause you're from New York. Sorta.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
FTS
I Give Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by disGUSt(tx) View Post
Nice, I see they are expanding outside of TX. Wish I could go this weekend but I got really sick this week and I'm still recovering. You guys have fun.

Probably talking about the chain because they're everywhere here. I say "Guac" all the time, for the sake of saving 3 syllables worth of energy. And this is Texas dude, I know you guys got lots of Mexicans up there and all, but seriously it's a little funny to be too jaded about your Chicago Mexican food to try the Texas stuff. It's like not trying the pizza in Italy cause you're from New York. Sorta.
I meant that in reference to Chipotle. I live in a predominantly Mex neighborhood so I get a lot of good regional food action up here, ie; unique stuff from Monterrey, Guadalajara, Distrito Federal, etc.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
mankvill
IMA COMPUTAH

mankvill is on a distinguished road
I'm coming in from Kansas City, so I'm really looking forward to getting some good TX BBQ. That's probably the #1 non-fest-related thing I want to do.

Other than that, maybe some really good Mexican/TexMex food. And then some other stuff we don't have (like Whataburger).

:D any suggestions?
mankvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
mankvill
IMA COMPUTAH

mankvill is on a distinguished road
Oh also, May 31 is my birthday so I'm gonna need some good cake to eat while watching Big Freedia.
mankvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
cdan

cdan is on a distinguished road
Stubb's is painfully overrated BBQ. That's my only contribution.
cdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
FTS
I Give Up

I heard Veggie Heaven closed down? I went to Torchy's a couple of times, their queso and tacos are so fucking good. I also love they have Doppleganger and whatever that purple cactus lemonade is. So good.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
FTS
I Give Up

Torchy's is the shit. Their tacos and queso are AMAZING. Definitely hit that place up when in Austin.

Also the falafel at Kismet is reasonably priced and is really good. I wish the fries weren't the standard kind, though.