SMNnews Forums  


Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion







Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #331
Ouroboros
Nescient
 
Ouroboros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,116
Rep Power: 10 Ouroboros is on a distinguished road
Fuck yeah Adam, it's looking nice.

Are those Quiklok stands? Whatever, any brand will do, stands are absolutely necessary, I was blown away at how much of a difference they make.

You should get some bass traps for those corners though, also think of moving the BX8's further from the wall in general.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #332
modern death
Hails
 
modern death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 15,183
Rep Power: 25 modern death will become famous soon enough
My bx5s came with some stands. but if I put them on it the monitors will be above ear level, thought they were supposed to be right at ear level.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #333
Ouroboros
Nescient
 
Ouroboros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,116
Rep Power: 10 Ouroboros is on a distinguished road
The center of the woofer should be right at ear level.

Placing them on several hockey pucks also works.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #334
F0RBIDDEN
Registered User
 
F0RBIDDEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Posts: 4,458
Rep Power: 14 F0RBIDDEN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Fuck yeah Adam, it's looking nice.

Are those Quiklok stands? Whatever, any brand will do, stands are absolutely necessary, I was blown away at how much of a difference they make.

You should get some bass traps for those corners though, also think of moving the BX8's further from the wall in general.
I ordered 15 panels from ATS Acoustics the other day actually, should be here next week. 3 of them are 4" open back panels for trapping that will go on the front wall and in the front corners where the desk is and the other 12 are solid back 2" panels just to control reflections. Gonna cover the first reflection points as well as some general placing throughout the room since I use the control room for tracking as well and I'm going to hang 4 of them from the ceiling as well. I replaced the closet doors in the back of the room with nice soft curtains to control some high end and I'm going to stuff the closets with bags of Roxul Safe N Sound for bass trapping in the back.

My desk should really be at the other end of the room and spaced 38% away from the wall but I just don't have the space for it so fuck it. I've heard great mixes happen in rooms that were way less ideal than mine is so I'm gonna just make due.

I have to either figure out a way to angle my monitors with the iso pads I already have or buy some angled ones because the very bottoms of the cones are at ear level, really I need the monitors like 4-6" lower.

I'll take more pics once the panels are installed! Going out on boxing day to pick up a dedicated recording PC as well, stoked!
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #335
Anti-Christ666
Psychoheretic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 6 Anti-Christ666 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post


Tama Superstar Custom 7 piece w/ a 13x7 ddrum maple snare
Assorted Cymbals from Zildjian, Sabian and Stagg.

I've changed a few things since this pic but it's pretty close.
Thats pretty awesome.
Anti-Christ666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #336
Ouroboros
Nescient
 
Ouroboros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,116
Rep Power: 10 Ouroboros is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN View Post
I ordered 15 panels from ATS Acoustics the other day actually, should be here next week. 3 of them are 4" open back panels for trapping that will go on the front wall and in the front corners where the desk is and the other 12 are solid back 2" panels just to control reflections. Gonna cover the first reflection points as well as some general placing throughout the room since I use the control room for tracking as well and I'm going to hang 4 of them from the ceiling as well. I replaced the closet doors in the back of the room with nice soft curtains to control some high end and I'm going to stuff the closets with bags of Roxul Safe N Sound for bass trapping in the back.

My desk should really be at the other end of the room and spaced 38% away from the wall but I just don't have the space for it so fuck it. I've heard great mixes happen in rooms that were way less ideal than mine is so I'm gonna just make due.

I have to either figure out a way to angle my monitors with the iso pads I already have or buy some angled ones because the very bottoms of the cones are at ear level, really I need the monitors like 4-6" lower.

I'll take more pics once the panels are installed! Going out on boxing day to pick up a dedicated recording PC as well, stoked!
Nice, sounds like it'll turn out to be a great sounding room.

As for the speaker suggestion: Low frequencies are collecting in those corners, combined with quick reflections coming from the proximity to the walls, so the result will be a boomy and somewhat muddy immediate sound, not to mention that there's a strong possibility that nodes are cancelling out some important frequencies because of their proximity. Just making the recommendation only to make it easier on you in the long run, it's pretty difficult to get balanced and consistent mixes otherwise.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #337
F0RBIDDEN
Registered User
 
F0RBIDDEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Posts: 4,458
Rep Power: 14 F0RBIDDEN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Nice, sounds like it'll turn out to be a great sounding room.

As for the speaker suggestion: Low frequencies are collecting in those corners, combined with quick reflections coming from the proximity to the walls, so the result will be a boomy and somewhat muddy immediate sound, not to mention that there's a strong possibility that nodes are cancelling out some important frequencies because of their proximity. Just making the recommendation only to make it easier on you in the long run, it's pretty difficult to get balanced and consistent mixes otherwise.
Yeah understood... Look at the new Neuraxis album though, mixed in a tiny room with the speakers right up against the walls and zero acoustic treatment and it turned out killer... My situation isn't perfect but I think it's more than usable.
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #338
Ouroboros
Nescient
 
Ouroboros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,116
Rep Power: 10 Ouroboros is on a distinguished road
True, true. I'm not saying that you won't be able to get a good mix, you can learn to adapt to any situation. My main prof in college is a great example, he works in a shed/barn with no treatment, he mixes all of Neko Case's records, they turn out fantastic (production wise).

I've just found being anal about that shit helps me a lot, but you'll probably turn out to be a better engineer if you push yourself to learn from your environment, instead of "cheating" and working in a perfect one.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #339
F0RBIDDEN
Registered User
 
F0RBIDDEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Posts: 4,458
Rep Power: 14 F0RBIDDEN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
True, true. I'm not saying that you won't be able to get a good mix, you can learn to adapt to any situation. My main prof in college is a great example, he works in a shed/barn with no treatment, he mixes all of Neko Case's records, they turn out fantastic (production wise).

I've just found being anal about that shit helps me a lot, but you'll probably turn out to be a better engineer if you push yourself to learn from your environment, instead of "cheating" and working in a perfect one.
Plus if I work in a perfect environment, what excuse am I going to have for churning out shitty mixes? Haha.... I need SOMETHING to blame!
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #340
Ouroboros
Nescient
 
Ouroboros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,116
Rep Power: 10 Ouroboros is on a distinguished road
Haha
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #341
stuh84
Ramses kills
 
stuh84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 0 stuh84 is on a distinguished road


With the latest addition to my rig :D (the Marshall 8200)
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #342
Mot
Registered User
 
Mot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 41
Rep Power: 0 Mot is on a distinguished road


Micro Spider



Neck thru..


'91 s540 ltd




2001 platinum w/ emg's

Mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #343
epitaph
Registered User
 
epitaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,718
Rep Power: 11 epitaph will become famous soon enough
Latest addition:


I need to take a few lessons to get the technique down.
epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #344
sickle
metawraith
 
sickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,120
Rep Power: 11 sickle is on a distinguished road
sickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #345
Willith
Banned
 
Willith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 493
Rep Power: 0 Willith is on a distinguished road
Here's a group shot:


PRE-FENDER Jackson KV2, Caparison TAT Special, Caparison Horus HGS Walnut, EBMMJP7.


Better shot of the Caps:
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #346
Lazzari
Grind/Gore Guitarist
 
Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lost Paradise
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 8 Lazzari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willith View Post
Here's a group shot:


PRE-FENDER Jackson KV2, Caparison TAT Special, Caparison Horus HGS Walnut, EBMMJP7.


Better shot of the Caps:
Dude those Caparisons are beautiful ! How is the sound of those guitars ?
Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #347
Willith
Banned
 
Willith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 493
Rep Power: 0 Willith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzari View Post
Dude those Caparisons are beautiful ! How is the sound of those guitars ?
The TAT Special sounds HUGE......The Horus is going to need some new pickups. Right now it's looking like a BKP warpig.
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #348
Lazzari
Grind/Gore Guitarist
 
Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lost Paradise
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 8 Lazzari is on a distinguished road
Cool dude !! And the playability ? must be a dream come true lol
Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #349
Nolly
Flaps
 
Nolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 139
Rep Power: 7 Nolly is on a distinguished road
A few new things added since last time I posted my rig here (rubbish photo though):

Nolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #350
Orkestra
FUCKINGWOLFSHIRTFUCK
 
Orkestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London
Posts: 6,363
Rep Power: 15 Orkestra is on a distinguished road


Touch my beans


my rig runs like this depending on the show, e.g. if its a show with barriers then I use the Red Guitars... i made the mistake recently taking them to a show without any fucking barriers and one guy came clattering into me and my Kramer and took a chip out of it's beautiful finish! :(
I've realised Stage Divers are a fucking menace... we get them a lot and its all well and good, but I tore my fucking medial ligament because one guy put his beer bottle down behind me and I dislocated my knee cap and tore my ligament... i still can't walk properly. another 5 months and i'll have healed fully... anyway:

Guitar#1 - KRAMER BARETTA / Ibanez RG = Standard B
Guitar#2 - Jackson RR1 / BC RICH Warlock = Drop A

-> -> George Denis Wah/Volume -> MXR Phase 90 -> Ibanez CS-9 Chorus -> Ibanez TS-909 -> KORG PITCHBLACK TUNER -> ISP Decimator ->A/B BOX : A->ENGL POWERBALL, B-> BOSS DD-6 ->ADA MP1 into the RETURN FX Loop of the POWERBALL - > 4x12 Marshall 1960BV and depending again; on the show -> a home made 2x12, acting as a monitor for Nick, our drummer.
Its basically a housing for two separate speakers operating at different ohms, 1x 16ohm for guitar which speaker runs the signal from my amp and one 4ohm bass speaker handles the output from our bassist, Dan's amp. It's a miracle how well this has worked getting us tighter. Sometimes you just can't rely on the sound man to get the right levels to the drummer, which is really where it's important, so we did it ourselves.


Last edited by Orkestra; 03-17-2009 at 05:35 AM..
Orkestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #351
Throne of Locusts
anti-life
 
Throne of Locusts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 90
Rep Power: 6 Throne of Locusts is on a distinguished road
Gibson Baritone Les Paul

Framus Cobra

Oversized Mesa 4x12

Marshall 1960's Reissue 4x12
Throne of Locusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #352
FistedSister
Nilla
 
FistedSister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,713
Rep Power: 13 FistedSister is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolly View Post
A few new things added since last time I posted my rig here (rubbish photo though):

Nolly, you fuck.
FistedSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #353
teacup
Duck Master
 
teacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,471
Rep Power: 0 teacup is an unknown quantity at this point
Seriously, dude.
teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #354
strychnine1349
The Van Buren Boys
 
strychnine1349's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The 'Sau
Posts: 10,620
Rep Power: 18 strychnine1349 is on a distinguished road
This thread makes me feel sad and pathetic....

However, I have:
Ibanez RG350EX
Ibanez Xiphos(going to sell it soon)
BC Rich Warlock(w/EMG 81/85...probably also going to sell)
After that, I will go on the market for another guitar, mayyyybe a Fender Jaguar.

Amp:
Marshall MG Half Stack....
I'm poor, and I need a serious upgrade. It isn't thaaaat bad of an amp, but upgrade yes.

Also have a Line 6 DL4 and Boss Noise Suppressor.
strychnine1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #355
teacup
Duck Master
 
teacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,471
Rep Power: 0 teacup is an unknown quantity at this point
I will be buying these next month.





I will also be putting my down payment on a custom Carvin dc127 next week. It'll have the same top as this carved top model but with an Allan Holdsworth headstock and covered pickups and no fret markings.
teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #356
Martins
Registered User
 
Martins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 774
Rep Power: 8 Martins is on a distinguished road
A Carvin man, I see.
Once you get the V3, definitely come back here and review it. I've always wondered about that amp.
And I'm probably going to get myself a Carvin Bolt kit in the near future. Looks awesome and it gives me the satisfaction of making me think I built a guitar.
Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #357
teacup
Duck Master
 
teacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,471
Rep Power: 0 teacup is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always wanted to build my own guitar. Bought a book on it but never got around to it. Originally I was just going to get an ENGL. Then I had the urge for another guitar. Fufilling those urges feels so good. I'll do a review once I've fucked around enough with that amp enough.
teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #358
Erland
två i tarmen!
 
Erland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Drammen
Posts: 6,114
Rep Power: 16 Erland will become famous soon enough
Just ordered.



Erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #359
teacup
Duck Master
 
teacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,471
Rep Power: 0 teacup is an unknown quantity at this point
I just ordered an Avatar 2x12.
:]
teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #360
BNH138
<3's you
 
BNH138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 3,140
Rep Power: 14 BNH138 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup View Post
I just ordered an Avatar 2x12.
:]
what speakers? grill color? details
BNH138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
meef, teacup's avatar came




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SMNnews.com: 2002 -