SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Old 03-09-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Logan
Band

Drum recording

so my band is planning to do some recording in the guitarist's basement this week, but we're really worried about how the drums are gonna be done. we have a bunch of mics, but none of them are 'drum mics.' any advice? can/should we rent them? im the drummer btw lol i dont know anything about drum recording.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Logan
Band

free demos to whoever helps out lol thats an AMAZING incentive i know.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
ruonitb

drums are really hard to record; if you arenīt experienced with it, the recordings will most likely suck.
there are several mics you can use for drums+other instruments.

shure sm 57 is often used for guitars+snare drum (just as an example).

I donīt know what mics you got; maybe you can post a list.

and the mic-placing is just as important as the mics you use.

maybe I can help you a bit, but post the mics please. ;)
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Ouroboros
Nescient

Tune your drums well. Make sure the room is suitable. Get someone to walk around your drum kit, and ask them if they notice any weird sounding reflections anywhere in the room. If they do, take note and do not place overhead mics in those areas.

As far as mics go, I use 57's for snare and upper rack toms, high quality condenser mics for overheads (large diaphragm if you want the overhead sound to pick up the entire kit, snare, toms, kick. Or small diaphragm if you want OH's to pick up cymbals and snare mostly), dynamic mic for kick drum (AKG D112), and Sennheiser 421's for floor toms.

As for placement, google XY overhead micing, and spaced pair overhead micing, then try both methods. Likely, you will get phase issues since it is your first time. I spend upwards of an hour adjusting mic placement to eliminate phase cancellation. Sometimes it sounds as if there is some depth being lost, in more severe cases, it will sound like there is delay or even like a phaser pedal is on a mic, but thats an extreme case of phase problems.

Hope that helped.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Logan
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Tune your drums well. Make sure the room is suitable. Get someone to walk around your drum kit, and ask them if they notice any weird sounding reflections anywhere in the room. If they do, take note and do not place overhead mics in those areas.

As far as mics go, I use 57's for snare and upper rack toms, high quality condenser mics for overheads (large diaphragm if you want the overhead sound to pick up the entire kit, snare, toms, kick. Or small diaphragm if you want OH's to pick up cymbals and snare mostly), dynamic mic for kick drum (AKG D112), and Sennheiser 421's for floor toms.

As for placement, google XY overhead micing, and spaced pair overhead micing, then try both methods. Likely, you will get phase issues since it is your first time. I spend upwards of an hour adjusting mic placement to eliminate phase cancellation. Sometimes it sounds as if there is some depth being lost, in more severe cases, it will sound like there is delay or even like a phaser pedal is on a mic, but thats an extreme case of phase problems.

Hope that helped.
yeah that helped a lot, thanks!

you're in Toronto you should come and help us record haha.