SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Old 02-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Willith
Banned

More recording gear questions...

So I just bought a presonus fp10 (formerly firebox?) and sonar 7 (producer edition). However, now I think I may have to buy a new sound card, which is really going to piss me off if I do, since I just dumped close to a grand on this stuff- with no warning that I may need a different sound card.

SO, I am considering returning both of these (no, I did not unwrap sonar yet) and getting something cheaper- not only for that reason, but because I have a feeling that both of these are more than I need or will ever utilize.
Quality is the only thing I don't want to lose...and keep in mind, I'm running VISTA so that throws a lot of different things out of the game already.
For the time being, I'm only going to be recording myself playing guitar (later on, possibly vox) so do I need 8 channels? Absolutely not.

Originally I was looking at this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...age?sku=709206
but I kept waiting and waiting because the interface wasn't Vista compatible and m-audio kept pushing back their vista update. It could even be out now, I gave up on checking though.

I guess I'd like to know peoples thoughts on pro-tools vs. sonar. I know a lot of people use pro-tools, but I rarely ever hear anything about sonar.....and what you think I should do at this point regarding the equipment I have.

I am also going to have to use a drum sequencing program that can be imported into whatever DAW I use....so if somebody could recommend a good one that won't have any problems being imported into either program, that'd be sweet. I wanted to try EZdrummer/drumkit from hell, but I think there may have been vista compatibility issues...
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Willith
Banned

hi
Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Ouroboros
Nescient

Ok, the FP10 is a soundcard, basically. A really nice soundcard with microphone preamps and line inserts, and arguably, firewire is as efficient as a PCI based interface. Audio interfaces have AD/DA converters and DSP chips, which is exactly what a sound card like a Soundblaster has, only interfaces are tailored just for producing audio, so they have better converters and circuitry than stand alone PCI sound cards.

Just with audio interfaces, the sound being played on your computer is being routed back through the analog outputs of the device. So within Sonar, and your Windows audio setup, the output sound will be selectable to any 2 outputs available on the interface. So, from the right outputs, connect monitors. Viola.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
Ouroboros
Nescient

Also, IMO, I really dislike working with Pro Tools. But for the brief time I demoed Sonar, I thought it was great. One of the only DAW's, if not the only that has support for 64bit processors and operating systems.

And be glad you didn't go with this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...age?sku=709206. The Presonus and Sonar was a much better choice.

Last edited by Ouroboros; 02-19-2008 at 02:06 AM..
Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
F0RBIDDEN

Yeah, the FP10 IS your new soundcard... Why is it that you think you need a new one?
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Ouroboros
Nescient

I assume he's trying to get output sound from his motherboard's or internal soundcard, and not the interface. I could be wrong, though.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
F0RBIDDEN

Off topic, never noticed you were from Toronto until now, cool shit!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN View Post
Yeah, the FP10 IS your new soundcard... Why is it that you think you need a new one?
When I was reading some of the reviews I could have sworn that people were saying it wasn't compatible with all soundcards and some people had to replace theirs and you should "be weary of that".

I havn't installed sonar yet ( I was just dicking around with the freebie cubase version that came with the fp10) but I will probably do that tonight.

I saw a lot of people seem to be using ez drummer with Sonar 7, so I'm glad to see there are no problems there, because that's the program I want to use-because I've only heard great things about it. HOWEVER- I have some questions, and I'm praying you guys can send me in the right direction.

I'm confused about DFH, DFH2, and superior. I've heard superior is discontinued, and have had trouble finding DFH2. I thought superior was released more recently than DFH2...so I dont understand why it would be discontinued.
All I want is a program that will allow me to CREATE metal drum patterns/loops. I do not have any idea what mix of ezdrummer/dfh is the most recent or best to do this with. If somebody can just tell me "I have __x__, it works great, you can buy it here at __y___ and YES IT WORKS WITH VISTA OR THERE IS AN UPDATE YOU CAN GET FROM THEIR SITE." that would be fantastic.
And you have to buy both ezdrummer and then whatever version of DFH right? You can't JUST get DFH, is that correct?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
ChAAPY
it's one louder

If your going to be working on a PC, fuck EZDrummer/DKFH. Go get Fruity Loops 4.1 for free and use Adams samples.

But yeah, you need EZDrummer first before you can install the add-ons, DKFH being on of them.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
F0RBIDDEN

DFH Superior comes with it's own sampler, you don't need EZ Drummer. EZ Drummer has a DFH expansion kit you can get, but it's totally separate from the actual DFH line of products. DFH Superior was discontinued because Superior Drums 2.0 is coming out soon.

You don't even NEED a soundcard in your computer if you have a Firepod, so having to upgrade your soundcard is absurd. The ONLY thing I can think of that would make people say they needed a new soundcard was if they had no firewire ports on their computer and needed a soundcard with a firewire connection to be able to connect the Firepod, but even that is silly because it's way more logical to buy a firewire PCI card.

The Firepod IS a soundcard, you install the drivers, plug it into your firewire port, select it in your audio preferences as your default sound device, connect your speakers to the Firepods 1 and 2 outputs and BAM! you've got sound.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Willith
Banned

Death to Presonus

Ok, so everything is working now...sort of. I am having a major problem with the presonus fp10. In short, it sounds like complete ASS. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it...it's sort of choppy? Sounds like a shitty $10 flange/echo/delay effect pedal. I have been told the reason for this could be anything from "crappy cables" to "phenomenon of the magnets in the speakers being too close to the fp10 and causing interference".

If I had like 8 or so hours to kill waiting in line for presonus tech support, believe me, I would. Does anybody here have any ideas about what could be causing this?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #12
indented_head

As in it cuts in and out pretty quickly? Latency issues can cause the sound to go "choppy" sometimes, but with a purpose bought recording device that shouldn't be an issue
indented_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Willith
Banned

My instructor let me borrow one of his interfaces, and it worked perfectly, so apparently it's just a defective fp10. I've heard DOZENS of people getting shitty interfaces from Presonus....it's enough to make me never buy another one.

So I have to mail this piece of crap back to MF, who have already discontinued it, and get a new one. Anybody have any suggestions for a kickass interface?

I don't NEED more than 2 ins, but I'm not opposed to it, because I may record drums down the line.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
ChAAPY
it's one louder

something with zero latency and really badass AD/DA conversions.

Ouroboros posted a shitload somewhere on this board.

found it - http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=176261

scroll down.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 02-28-2008 at 05:37 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
something with zero latency and really badass AD/DA conversions.

Ouroboros posted a shitload somewhere on this board.

found it - http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=176261

scroll down.

I saw you're using the 410...but you don't like it that much? I was thinking about getting the 1814 or this tascam:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ace?sku=245002

Unfortunately, whatever I get, I have to get through MF. I absolutely will not buy any Presonus products. I've heard nothing but complaints from people and their customer service is a joke. I went to their forums earlier today to let them know I wouldnt be buying anymore of their products, checked back a couple minutes ago, and received this message:

You have been banned for the following reason:
counterproductive and negative posts. Insulting company

Date the ban will be lifted: 02-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Banned for one year, because I insulted the company?? And their customer service tells you to go to the forums before ever calling them! It's like China over there on the forums.

But yeah, probably gonna have to get one of those two interfaces....
Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
Ouroboros
Nescient

Crazy, but good to know. MOTU has outrageous tech support based on their forums.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #17
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Crazy, but good to know. MOTU has outrageous tech support based on their forums.
I'm glad you pointed out the MOTU. I'm actually very seriously considering getting that 8 pre, but I can't find anywhere on MOTUs site that says if its compatible with Vista or if they have updates for it. Do you know by any chance?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willith View Post
I saw you're using the 410...but you don't like it that much?
It's fine for what I do, I just generally have a lot of tracks and VST instruments going on and it can't handle it sometimes. I don't believe you can use both inputs at time the same though. Not sure about that though.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #19
Ouroboros
Nescient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willith View Post
I'm glad you pointed out the MOTU. I'm actually very seriously considering getting that 8 pre, but I can't find anywhere on MOTUs site that says if its compatible with Vista or if they have updates for it. Do you know by any chance?
No, I'm not sure. Stay away from the 828 line, though. The Ultralite I hear is really reliable and affordable, but it has only 2 mic preamps.

Scout their forums and see what people have to say about their products and Vista.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #20
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
No, I'm not sure. Stay away from the 828 line, though. The Ultralite I hear is really reliable and affordable, but it has only 2 mic preamps.

Scout their forums and see what people have to say about their products and Vista.
Yeah I checked out the forums and still couldn't really find much out....other than I probably shouldn't be getting anything by MOTU. Sounds like they have a lotttt of issues. Kind of disappointing to hear since the people who can get them to work absolutely rave about them.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
Ouroboros
Nescient

Yeah, well there are plenty of their products that work great and are reliable. But, the 828 series has a lot of issues, even right up to the newest MK3. Thank F0RBIDDEN for pointing that out.

The 8Pre and the Ultralite seem to be good choices, though. My teacher uses two Ultralite's at his professional studio. Had them for a number of years without any issues.