Jungle Rot Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
HatredEmbodied

Reviews of "WAR ZONE"

Unbound Zine
http://www.unboundzine.com/nr97.html

"Jungle Rot is a band that I’ve listened to since I was doing my first ‘zine Engulfed in Gore. So needless to say this is a band that I am very familiar with and a band that never fails to impress me. Jungle Rot is simplistic death metal with throws together classic Bolt Thrower rhythmic chunks with Slayer styled thrash. Its old school in nature yet never fails to live up to the heaviness of the current crop of death metal bands. I find it hilarious that this is basically the style that Six Feet Under tries to play and they just fail miserably. Jungle Rot mange to keep things straight forward but still keep things interesting musically and while it may not be anything overly new for the genre the riffs are so infectious that you look past that fact. This is also definitely the best sounding album yet from Jungle Rot with a heavy and thick production that has very energetic sound. The band has never been about creating incredibly layered albums and this is no different. You have bass, vocals, drums and a few layers of guitars and that is it. I’m glad to see that Jungle Rot are still plugging away and releasing quality albums after all this time. This is easily the best album yet from Jungle Rot."
HatredEmbodied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
HatredEmbodied

Metallian.com
http://www.metallian.com/junglerot.htm

"Crunchy riffs and Crowbar-like vocals are good ways to describe War Zone. Eleven songs and 32 minutes of consistently heavy metal with titles like Victims Of Violence, Cut In Two, Ready For War, and Killing Spree describe this Jungle Rot release appropriately. A constant barrage of heavy riffs and angry, in your face type vocals courtesy of Dave Matrise carry that description and comparison another step. Fight For Life is a highlight where speedier sections add a refreshing amount of effective tempo. Listen for the seemingly still mandatory Slayer riff on the closing song, Killing Spree which also surprises the listener with a doomy section. Overall, this a more a heavy than a speedy release but when the speed is added it successfully enhances the heavy punch" – Anna Tergel
Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
HatredEmbodied

UltimateMetal.com
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=246337

"Possibly the most weirdly named death metal outfit so far, we proudly present... Jungle Rot! War Zone starts out pretty great, with an even stream of double-bass and some heavy riffing overtop, but the song very quickly declines into mediocrity with the breakdown-like chorus section. Some of the percussion in the song sounds like it belongs more in a polka song than a death metal song, like Swanö's percussion work on Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage... That should give you a pretty direct idea of how the percussion sounds at times, though the drummer for Jungle Rot made it clear within the first section of the song that he is capable of handling double-bass.

It has been stated that Jungle Rot believe they have a sound more similar to Slayer and Sodom, but that's not really so true to my ears at least. I'm hearing more of a Kataklysm-type sound but without the butt-kicking blastbeats and drumrolls... Jungle Rot say they have never tried to be the most technical group in death metal, yet because of this they sound more like thrash than death.

The vocalist is pretty great, yet at times he also has somewhat of a Kataklysm sound to him, but maybe it's just the sound of the music paired with the vocals that create this idea in our brains. They're a little better than the typical death vocals like Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Cryptopsy, etc... as they've got a bit more ferocity to the sound, and the occasional bend into a scream. That's not to say the other group's vocalists aren't fantastic, I'm just stating for the sake of comparison, as I'm sure a lot of people have heard the vocalists for those groups.

Overall, I'd have to say the music is very decent, but really nothing too new or special... it's good for a little "high" once in a while when you are looking for something heavy to headbang to, and for that purpose, War Zone is worth checking out. However, if you headbang to the faster, more brutal stuff, you might want to stick with Nile or Cryptopsy or whatever."

6.5/10
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
HatredEmbodied

AllMusic.com
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg...0:8b851v06zzva

"Jungle Rot won't go down in history as the most original or innovative band in the world, but those who fancy American-style, thrash-minded, non-Scandinavian death metal with a late '80s/early '90s mindset can appreciate the fact that they generally provide solid, if predictable, albums, and Warzone is no exception. This 2006 release doesn't break any new ground for Jungle Rot (not that any longtime fans expected it to), but the Midwestern combo continues to sound enjoyably focused 11 years after its formation. And that is admirable, considering all the personnel changes that Jungle Rot has had along the way. On Warzone, lead singer/founder/guitarist Dave Matrise is the only remaining original member; bassist James Genenz, guitarist Geoff Bub, and drummer Neil Zacharek are more recent arrivals. Regardless, Jungle Rot still sounds like Jungle Rot, and that means having an unwavering devotion to the Los Angeles-based Slayer as well as Death and other Florida death metal outfits that emerged in the late '80s and early '90s. It also means that Matrise remains one of death metal's more understandable growlers; on Warzone, one can generally understand the dark, morbid lyrics coming out of Matrise's mouth without consulting the lyric sheet. A frequent complaint about death metal (as well as black metal) is that so many of the vocalists are not understandable, but Matrise has a deep, guttural, demonic-sounding growl that does not render the lyrics indecipherable. Warzone is unlikely to win over anyone who heard previous Jungle Rot albums and wasn't converted, but die-hard fans of their made-in-the-USA approach to death metal will find this 31-minute disc to be a worthwhile (although brief) addition to their catalog."
Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
HatredEmbodied

Blabbermouth.net
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...x?reviewID=763

"And so begins the old debate about the merits of sticking to the tried and true versus musical progression. What it really comes down to is that those bands that sucked to begin with and "stay the course" continue to suck for all eternity. Then you've got juggernauts like BOLT THROWER, OBITUARY, and JUNGLE ROT. The groove-based death metal style was beloved from the start and continued to be so on future albums. Such is the case with war mongers JUNGLE ROT on its sixth studio album, "War Zone". A few of the names have changed, but the attack remains true to form.

Though the slight hardcore bent that characterized 2004's "Fueled by Hate" is present, the new platter possesses a meaner edge and dirtier death metal covering, in some ways reminiscent of 2001's "Dead and Buried". Mainman, guitarist, and vocalist Dave Matrise once again convinces with his decipherable growl, punctuated to great effect by brief blood-curdling screams. And yes, the topics of war and battle carnage are the lyrical order of the day. What would you expect?

The death grooves at first blush appeal somewhat rudimentary. Then again, needless technicality has never defined the band. However, more thought has gone into the compositions than may be immediately apparent, and the delivery is skillfully tight. Whether it is well-placed bouts of kick drum pummel and rhythmic nuance, or the deceptively accomplished chords that pop up periodically, the boys understand their sound and refine it even further here. In fact, "Killing Spree" closes the album with one of the more dynamic arrangements I've heard from the quartet. Ominous chords and doom-laden picking are interrupted with rapid-fire bursts. "Victims of Violence" and the monstrous "Territoriality" are up-tempo and impossible to experience without succumbing to a little neck-snapping action. As always, several tunes stand out due to an immediately catchy quality, "Ready for War", "Cut in Two", and "Savage Rite" the three that come first to mind.

We need bands like JUNGLE ROT and the aforementioned heavyweights to keep reminding us that groove-based bludgeon is as important in death metal as technical savagery. "War Zone" is a fine example of the form. 7.5
- Scott Alisoglu
Old 07-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
HatredEmbodied

DigitalMetal.com
http://digitalmetal.com/reviews.asp?cid=7466

"Jungle Rot have never claimed to be the most technical or brutal band on the plant and since their 1995 debut, Skin the Living, have held steady to their form of mid paced, war themed, death metal assault and War Zone continues the trend, and with far better results than 2004's Fueled By Hate.

The formula is a simple one, one perfected by Bolt Thrower, who could be seen as Jungle Rot’s long lost English step parent, as Jungle Rot certainly has some similarity to their war obsessed brethren; simple, powerful riffage, stout percussion and plenty of tank track like pacing that presents an effective simple barrage of death metal that isn’t out to melt your brain-just pulverize it.

Consistent and dedicated frontman Dave Matrise has a discernable no frill roar that suits the no frill music and his shuffled line up presents his vision with gusto, something that was lacking on Fueled By Hate. There are not tracks here to exercise your fret skills too, there are no solos, just plodding yet pleasing, uncompromising, trend defying death metal to bob your head to, Particularly meaty tracks “Ready For War”, “Ambushed”, “Fight For Life” and the loping “Killing Spree” fill the album with a gritty, nostalgic grizzled charm and heaviness that made death metal a guilty, truly underground pleasure back in 1994, before short haired kids played it, and it shows how bad Six Feet Under really are now. Jungle Rot simply nail it.

War Zone probably won’t end up on many year end lists, as it’s down right rudimentary compared to modern death metal bands, but I guarantee it will get a lot of CD player time as it’s a perfect injection of brutish American simplicity amid a sea of complexity and trendy hardcore/ Gothenburg inbreeding."

By Erik Thomas
Old 07-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
HatredEmbodied

About.com
http://heavymetal.about.com/od/cdrev.../junglerot.htm

"Jungle Rot has been around for over a decade, and if you're not familiar with them by now it's about time you were. They play crushing death metal with grindcore influences and a great groove. The biggest complaint a lot of people have about death metal is that you can't understand the vocals. That's not the case with Jungle Rot. Even though it sounds like he gargled with razor blades, you can understand every word Dave Matrise howls.

This is an excellent album. It has brutality, melody, memorable riffs and intense vocals."
Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
HatredEmbodied

Black Angel Promotions
http://www.antidoterecords.net/bap/junglerot.html

"Jungle Rot, the death dealers of the underground Death Metal scene have returned with a new platter of doomy destruction on their sixth studio effort entitled, War Zone. If you've heard the band before, then you know what to expect. The band has never been known for their technical skills, but as always the tunes are well arranged and packed with catchy, groove-laden riffs and rhythms you could snap your neck to while in the pit. The band has and always will remind me of those that have come before them - Kreator, Bolt Thrower and shades of early Six Feet Under and Obituary minus the blinding lead-breaks.
As the band would have it, the tunes that fill War Zone are all about death, destruction and war. And why wouldn't they be? The band is called Jungle Rot! Now, I've never professed to be big into war movies, stories, music or any of that stuff but this has changed with the listening of this disc. I'm finding myself deeply interested in War, the art of it and its tactics. Strange, yes very. The thing I most enjoy about War Zone aside from the lyrical content is the musical lay out of the tunes. It's not a constant bashing, each of the tracks are drenched in crushing rhythms and head-bangin' kick-beats. Some might call it slow and boring, I call it brutal and awesome! I really like the fact that I can understand everything that is going on around me without having to put it under a microscope. The band is very precise and forthright in what they're trying to accomplish, nothing is over done. The vocals are also excellent, which is rare in Death Metal these days. There are way too many Cannibal Corpse/Chris Barnes wanna-be's trying hard to be cool. It's comforting to hear something legitimate and pure.

As for standouts, the album itself is a stand out; every tune is a keeper. My personal picks for favorites are "Savage Rite", "They Gave Their Lives", "Strong Shall Survive" and the overly intense "Killing Spree". I must make mention, this tune brings to mind thoughts of Slayer's "Mandatory Suicide". The album itself does, but that's beside the point. If there was a drawback to this album it would be the lack of lead-breaks, but the fact still remains - it kicks major ass! Jungle Rot will be on tour with Deicide this fall, I strongly recommend taking in that show and picking this cd up. If you like WAR, lock and load your SKS and get ready for an ambush, cuz Jungle Rot is just over the horizon."
Old 07-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
HatredEmbodied

PitRiff.com
http://pitriff.com/modules.php?op=mo...content&id=620

"There’s something about Jungle Rot that has always separated them from the rest of the pack. Maybe it’s the fact that for a death metal outfit, they have a bit more clarity to their vocals. Maybe it’s the fact that they figured out how to be an extremely heavy death metal band without every song becoming a blinding blur of blast beats and screaming. Or…maybe they are just better than most of the bands out there. I vote for the combination of the three.

WAR ZONE marks the sixth straight time that Jungle Rot has come to the table with an album that just kicks ass. More focused on their brand of melodic death metal than their predecessor, 2004’s somewhat trendy FUELED BY HATE, the dirge that is vocalist Dave Matrise continues to scrape the gutter and find rage and anger ground up in the sewage. Matrise’s roar continually sounds as if it’s going to break up as he rants and raves, but he never loses it throughout. He’s painful on tracks like “Ready For War”, and really on every track on the CD. Without question, Matrise is one of the main reasons anyone would want to listen to WAR ZONE.

While Matrise is good, there is no escaping the music of WAR ZONE. It’s a punishing fusion of melodic extreme metal and brutal death metal. Matrise teams with lead guitarist Geoff Bub to create some piercing guitar lines that are controlled, but powerful and memorable. Raging riffs dominate powerful tracks like “Ambushed”. At other times, like on “Savage Rite”, there’s an almost Slayer-like guitar vibe going on between the two guitarists. This track reminds of a death metal version of Slayer’s “Bloodline”, and stands as the best track on the album. Drummer Neil Zakarek is excellent on WAR ZONE as well; mixing in perfectly timed transitions throughout much of the material. Overall, WAR ZONE continues Jungle Rot’s quest to become the biggest melodic death metal outfit in the world. Six Feet Under are now in their sites…this band is about to take their title.

PITRIFF RATING – 9/10 – Crunchy, melodic power overtaken by raging death metal vocals and some of the fattest guitar sound you’ll ever hear from a band of this ilk, Jungle Rot have really hit a home run with WAR ZONE. If metal radio wasn’t so overrun by metal posers these days, this is the kind of band that could rule that media. Well, at least they should be able to. Jungle Rot is arguably the best band out there of the melodic death scene…even if the world is yet to catch onto it."
Old 07-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
epitaph

Theres just one thing I cant agree with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatredEmbodied
Jungle Rot is arguably the best band out there of the melodic death scene
Since when has JR been melodic death?

I love the outro of Ambushed, reminds me so much of Strangulation Mutilation.

In fact, I'm gonna give Dead&Buried a spin now.
epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #11
HatredEmbodied

MetalReview.com
http://www.metalreview.com/ViewReview.aspx?ID=2798

"I think most of us can still appreciate the simpler things in life. Plain blue jeans, cheese, well-filmed adult entertainment, and no-bullshit thrash metal. Hell, fit all that into a couple hours during an afternoon off and that’s a good fucking time if you ask me (not all at once, of course), and Jungle Rot are all those things, even the cheese. I fucking love cheese, you can’t make a pizza without it, you can’t make a grilled chee*, uh, well, you know what I’m saying. Sometimes it’s a necessary ingredient, and War Zone is actually quite refreshing to this ear on a number of simple, effective levels.

What Goes Right: The first thing I noticed is the deceptive power and ability of the musicians involved. Oftentimes when viewing chunky, beefy thrash metal of this variety, the technical aspects tend to get overlooked, but the tightness of the material here is standout. This isn’t thrash like Exodus, The Haunted, or Destruction, instead it reaches in and grabs two big handfuls of dense sludge and smears it all over everything, and the combination of the understated musicianship, dirt-bellied, militaristic grooves, and tastefully conservative extremity hits hard at high volume. There’s something very rigid, and boldly fresh about Jungle Rot’s uncomplicated, unspectacular but superbly executed songcraft that leaves a favorable impression, as opposed to trying too hard with overindulgent wankery. The mid-ranged grunting (not like a pig, though) vocals also are of note for being understandable, easy to follow yet still pretty damn gutting when the time comes to break out heavy artillery, and best of all, they sound real and not overworked by multi-tracking, which should sound great live. It’s a great alternative to pointless blastbeats, and boring gore lyricism.

What Goes Wrong: War Zone is a little short, as far as running length goes. I suppose you can spin this as being ‘compact’ because by nature, simpler metal is best kept brief, but some of the material here could have been stretched out a bit more to let some of the more pummeling riffs really sink in. It is less-is-more, I just wish there had been more of it to enjoy throughout these 11 rock-solid battle hymns. That’s about all the bitching I got in me on this one.

The Verdict: The earth-rupturing rhythm of the War Zone is a reminder how just because an album isn’t performed with 220 bpm’s of horribly produced extremity, or flying into five different directions stylistically, that metal of this nature can still be quite stimulating. I’d put Jungle Rot’s latest right alongside the new Dismember, Lair Of The Minotaur, Vore, and Sodom as some of the best examples of pure, crunchy mid-paced heavy-duty quality I’ve heard this year. Sheer badassery, without the excesses, and sometimes that’s all you really need, isn’t it?"
Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
HatredEmbodied

FishComCollective.net
http://www.fishcomcollective.net/archives/354/

"Throaty death vox, grinding grooves and a bit of a Napalm Death influence (though not a soundalike by any means) pack together to create Jungle Rot’s appealing metal muscle. Grouchy but moderately understandable death metal vox with a hint of hardcore and instrumentals that blend the best of death and vestiges of grind into a hard but moshable sound … these are the tasty evil treats proffered by Jungle Rot."
Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
HatredEmbodied

Smother Magazine
http://www.smother.net/reviews/metal.php3?ID=699

"Jungle Rot employs the thrashier side of death metal and have for the past decade or so. Marking their territory with Sodom-esque speedy riffage and punked-up thrash drums, Jungle Rot have the guttural vocal assault that you typically associate with death metal. This year the band becomes eleven years old and are celebrating with their sixth album and a tour with Deicide. “Warzone” finds Jungle Rot expanding on their sound a bit with extreme metal in tow along with thrash, death, and hardcore breakdowns."
Old 07-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
Timpo

Great reviews! :)
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
Titsiana
Brutal Nerd

This was the first album I actually heard of Jungle Rot and fuck I love it!
Titsiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #16
Kill

I love Jungle Rot!
Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #17
HatredEmbodied

NECROMETAL.COM
http://www.necrometal.com/jungle-rot-war-zone.html

Man, Jungle Rot make reviewing simple this is crushing Death Metal at its simplest and best form, get to the fucking point and just pound out some brutality. If you are not familiar with jungle rot you should be because they dudes have been playing the same style stuff from the start over a decade ago. Some might say this is primitive and repeats in form every album but I say fuck it if you have a great sound and people dig it don’t fuck with it just right better lyrics and you will really have something. Jungle Rot due lack some guitars leads and highs but their sound isn’t about that their stuff is made to crush skulls and laugh at the posers beneath their feet.

Jungle rot has quickly become my favorite Death Metal bands of the year every time I put this bitch it reminds me of everything I like about Death Metal brutality, catchy riff, and simple lyrics to understand, and just killer sounds you need to own this.

9.5/10
Old 03-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
HatredEmbodied

Adrenaline Fanzine
http://www.adrenalinfanzine.com/reviews.html#J

It is a crime and atrocity of the highest order that JUNGLE ROT haven't achieved a greater success than it has over the past ten plus years. Maybe its bad luck, bad location, who knows, but I say they've gotten a raw deal. Singer/Guitarist Dave Matrise has been the brains and brutality behind JUNGLE ROT since the band's inception and even though the line-up has been somewhat of a revolving door through the years he has been the glue that keeps this well-oiled machine operating and has gone on to produce one of the most consistently infectious, groove laden, aggressive old school death metal bands of it's time. This is some shit kickin' stuff and always has been ever since "Skin The Living" arrived in '95. Now, eleven years and five albums later, "War Zone" kicks it up a notch, if that's possible, with its unrelenting assault on your every last neck muscle as it somehow commands your head to bang. There isn't a bad moment on this disc and I can confidently say that about most JUNGLE ROT efforts. If you haven't already, run don't walk to your friendly neighborhood metal shop and purchase ANYTHING from these guys but especially "Warzone". These guys have been working their asses off for a long time and deserve every bit of good that should come their way. Keep pluggin' away dudes, one day this is all going to pay off!

Originality : 8/10, Production: 10/10, Performance: 10/10, Vocals: 10/10
OVERALL: 9.5/10
Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #19
HatredEmbodied

Antenna.nu
http://www.antenna.nu/junglerot/warzone.php
SupremeBrutality.net
http://www.supremebrutality.net/reviews/warzone.php

I freely admit my knowledge of Jungle Rot's musical back-catalogue is rather limited, but I'm aware that the quartet has been praised for their simplistic back to basics death metal, and I easily understand why. The music is old school death metal in the vein of Obituary without saying they sound too much alike. Style-wise the unit proclaims to have more in common with Slayer and Sodom than with most other considered death metal nowadays. Listening to War Zone that statement makes sense, but the groove and catchy song writing remind me a lot of Obituary and to a degree of Skinless.

It's clear that Jungle Rot is not about the speed or brutality. The band focus more on the heavy and groove aspects of the music which is also what make it a little different. There's hardly anything unheard in this, but it sets the Americans somewhat apart from the vast majority of other death metal bands. This is also what makes War Zone an interesting encounter. You won't really find any fancy solos or other gimmicks on War Zone. The technical finesses in the music are boiled down to a minimum, only relying on the groove elements, but it works without complaint. The production is fat and full, just as it should be with this kind of music.

If you don't demand too much of your music and like it simple and stripped down, War Zone is definitely a recommendable purchase. Jungle Rot's music doesn't take long to analysis, but regardless of that they definitely got something great going on.

Last edited by HatredEmbodied; 03-20-2007 at 09:03 AM..
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #20
HatredEmbodied

NocturnalHorde.com
http://www.nocturnalhorde.com/review567.html

It's been a while since Jungle Rot has hooked me with some of their new music, their last 2 records didn't really hit it off with me, as well as their prior material had. Though it seems like Matrise and the guys have stepped up and delivered an energetic and violence fuelled death metal album again, with more than groove on groove, as the highly effective and punishing guitar riffing has returned with an all out attack.

The base is as it has been as always in the heavy groove-laden death metal, though the aggressive edge has been brought fully back, as in the old days of the band. A thing that really becomes the music, as that edge pushes the material a long way into the living room of the listener and grips the head and makes it move! There are some good guitar riffs present on the album, without them being innovative in any way, good old death metal riffing, straight on and effective. The drumming is pounding away in a mid-tempo paced most of the way through, seasoned with both slower and faster parts and a lot of breaks. And as the icing, is of course the hellbound growl from Dave Matrise. He has a killer guttural growl, which pierces bone and marrow, and is a big reason for Jungle Rot being as ear piercing as they at times is.

I think many of the old fans of Jungle Rot will become very pleased with this album, while the band still will keep the newer fan base they've made with the last couple of albums. Though any fans of pounding death metal with great vocals and a heavy groove will enjoy this album, even though it doesn't get near the greatness of "Slaughter The Weak" and "Darkness Foretold". And as a blast, a sincere blast, from the past, the band has re-recorded (at least it sounds like a re-recording) the old demo track 'Killing Spree', one of the insanely best songs the band has made, props up for that!

Rating: 7/10
Old 03-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #21
HatredEmbodied

Gothronic.com (HA! HA!)
http://www.gothtronic.com/?page=23&reviews=3034

War Zone is Jungle Rot's sixth album already, and to be completely honest, it's not the most interesting approach to metal. The 32 minute 11-track album consists mostly of mid-tempo Death-metal, comparable to Six Feet Under in some ways. Heavy, chunky riffs and a little groove here and there, which might have made this album a nice addition to my collection, if only they ever learned that a little variation might be good for your music. Thruth is, this is 32 minutes of exactly the same songs. The same type of symplistic riffs, mid-tempo polka-beats, with your occassional double bass assault. I must admit, in a way it's a badass, quite rough at times and the rasping vocals of Dave Matrise sound like his voice is suffering from Jungle Rot (if that's even possible) or maybe he's just on a strict broken glass diet. But in the end, I keep getting the feeling that they just keep doing the same trick over and over, which bores me out of my skull, and there's just not enough groove to keep me banging for half an hour. Some people might definetely want to give this one a listen, because it does have it's (albeit rotten) charm. People who like their metal a bit faster or more varied, don't come near this album.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #22
HatredEmbodied

MaximumMetal.com
http://www.maximummetal.com/reviews/...r_w&idBand=412

Still waging war after more then ten years, Jungle Rot is showing no signs of slow down or surrender. Thundering onto the scene in ’95 with their first album “Skin the Living”, we have seen a steady release schedule since. Despite multiple line up changes and label troubles early on, Jungle Rot have earned their stripes time and again. Paving a trail with heavily graphic imagery and brutally catchy riffs, Jungle Rot’s 2004 release, “Fueled by Hate” was marked as the epoch, the high water mark, for the American Midwestern quartet. Well lace up your boots, and strap on your soldier, 2005 saw them their ten year anniversary, after yet another line up change, and a new label, Jungle Rot is once again launching a full frontal assault, and taking no prisoners with their ‘06 release “Warzone”.

In their trademark album style, military imagery of war scenes and violence adorns each aspect of their album artwork, as if preparing your senses for the brutality contained inside. In that sense it does no justice. Chock full of pulse pounding double bass, wailing riffs and guttural lyrics “Warzone” is Jungle Rot doing what they do best, auditory violence and lyrical dismemberment. Focused and heavy their formula has never failed them in the past and their latest blood bath is no exception.

Their morbid lyrical influence draws seemingly from, everywhere. From dark primitive jungles where cannibal tribes tear outsiders limb from limb and devour their bleeding skin on “Savage Rite”, to suicidal terrorists giving their lives to a holy war on “They Gave Their Lives”, painting a much more visceral picture of the world around us. They even dusted off one of their classics, “Decapitated” which sounds marginally cleaner then the original, but still just as brutal showing purists their new line up is the real deal. This album really shows Jungle Rot putting their fans in their forethought, this retaining all the raw heavy sound of their early underground days, but showing the years have been spent evolving. All this mixed with the new line adds enough fresh variation to keep this new album standing out from its predecessors.

In favor of time honored traditions, I’m a big fan of the saying, “If its not broke, don’t fix it.” Evidently the fellows behind Jungle Rot feel the same way as there is plenty of nostalgic moments that throw me back to “Slaughter the Weak” but as I said, it is by no means a “Best of” album, suffice to say that this might be the “Best of” Jungle Rot that we’ve seen to date. Will it stand the test of time as they have? I’m confident of that. Like the tropical disease that bore their namesake, Jungle Rot has set in and is spreading its infection throughout the metal scene, and it’s going to take more then a tube of topical ointment to halt this plague.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #23
HatredEmbodied

Lambgoat.com
http://www.lambgoat.com/albums/view.aspx?id=2145

The more things change, the more they stay the same. As part of the metal world expands into an overabundance of niche styles and untraceable hybrids to be gobbled up by "forward thinking" youth, some bands are taking shelter by staying true to their roots and keeping it simple, stupid. Wisconsin's death metal underdogs Jungle Rot continue doing exactly that on their fifth full-length, the ingenuously titled War Zone. Following the dismantling of cult label Olympic Records, only select artists like Behemoth demonstrated sales worthy enough to be brought in from the cold by said label's parent company, Century Media, although Jungle Rot would be an excellent seller as well if only given a cunning marketing push. Not especially known over the years for its ability to adequately market artists, perhaps the people at Jungle Rot's new label home Crash Music Inc. (formerly Pavement) have changed their ways and stepped up to the plate.

Former Jungle Rot guitarist and rising producer Chris Djuricic (Origin, Novembers Doom, Enforsaken) brings out the low end again as he did so well on their last two albums, Fueled By Hate and Dead And Buried, rendering the album another undeniable catalyst to sessions of solitary headbanging. Bassist James Genez from defunct Chicago-based, ex-Olympic Records brutal death legends Fleshgrind, makes his first recorded appearance with Jungle Rot, adding some repute to their constantly changing rhythm section. Song wise, Jungle Rot's new material at times harks back to their earlier albums Slaughter The Weak and even Skin The Living to a degree. For example "Decapitated" uses a fast push beat like "Gore Bag" from Slaughter The Weak did, and ends up halving the tempo soon after in much the same way. There are some exceptions though.

Well thought-out, succinct songs like "Strong Shall Survive" and "Ready For War" are a natural progression for the band as they are beginning to learn how to be more efficient users of time. In doing so, they move away from death metal and closer to a hardcore sound, and I doubt this is unintentional. The death metal genre is becoming more technical with each passing year so Jungle Rot would surely satisfy audiences at a 100 Demons show just as much if not more than if they were to open for some Unique Leader band. After all, vocalist/guitarist Dave Matrise sounds like a crossbreed of 100 Demons' recently-returned Bruce LePage and Merauder's Jorge Rosado. The album ends on an disputable note with "Killing Spree," which sounds like either an unfinished song slapped on there to bolster the number of tracks, or written in a different vein than the rest of the album.

Aside from changing labels, and making use of a different color scheme than green for the cover art for the first time, Jungle Rot have changed little over the years. To a seasoned metalhead, the band would bring to mind old school death like Bolt Thrower, early Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Sepultura, Obituary, and Torture Killer. To a nineties hardcore fan, the band would sound like remarkably like Merauder, Stigmata, 100 Demons, Madball, Cold As Life, and Hatebreed's Satisfaction Is The Death Of Desire (for the unaware, Jungle Rot's 1995 debut album Skin The Living was released on Jamey Jasta's Pure Death Records, and noticeably influenced Hatebreed's Victory debut). And to the kid who just started listening to "metal" last year, you won't get it so go rock out instead to AILD, ETID, and BTBAM. War Zone is a man's album; made by men for men. Those who consider this brand of metal stale and clichéd definitely have strength in numbers because good taste in metal now fluctuates disproportionately with the amount of metalcore bands infiltrating Billboard's top 200. But that doesn't mean they have good taste, not in the least.

Bottom Line: For the best in old school northeastern death performed with the efficiency of tough nineties hardcore, and a band that more than compensates for Six Feet Under's lost ability to write listenable metal of the same style, Jungle Rot fits the bill. The simple yet unified and pounding rhythm section makes War Zone as reliable an album as Jungle Rot have ever put out. There is no question that unlike many bands in metal, Jungle Rot go against the grain with the old fashioned sound, yet always seem to know exactly what they are doing. Forget the all-too-common dizzying patterns for a moment and settle into a hardy groove brought to you by Jungle Rot, even for the sake of merely being nostalgic about death metal's origins.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #24
HatredEmbodied

MetalCoven.com
http://www.metalcoven.com/review_jungle_war.html

Chicago bred death metal legends Jungle Rot are back with their fifth full length album entitled War Zone. This album is everything you’d expect from these heavy hitters and more with their latest offering which has surpassed all their previous works bar none. War Zone is saturated with gallons of groove, brutality in shotgun bursts and, and foot stomping, head banging rhythms. Coming off a very good album in 2004, I was wondering if they could continue improving, and they confirmed those hopes with this extremely strong effort here two years later.

Jungle Rot give us another album which essentially can be deemed as nothing short of addictive in taste. They prove the theory of bands like Motorhead and Pantera in that you don’t necessarily need to be brutal to sound uncompromisingly heavy. No matter how heavy they get though, there is always a groove which compels to bang your head until the very end. Combining the attitude of hardcore music with the intensity and energy of death metal, Jungle Rot take the meaning of ferocity to new heights.

Now seasoned pros, Jungle Rot seem to have grabbed the metal community by the balls and haven’t let go. With all members concentrating full time on this project and deciding to dedicate their time only to this band shows me that they are taking this quite seriously. Why not though when you’ve come as far as you have, and become as good as this? War Zone is definitely a step up from the album Fueled By Hate which they conceived a mere two years ago. I think I speak for a majority of the death metal population when I say that we’ve been anxiously awaiting where Jungle Rot would next take their sound. Well, that answer is that they’ve concentrated more on creating an infectious and fierce album than it seems they have in the past.

One can only wonder what will happen next though as they’ve already disposed of five bassists, five guitarists, and four drummers. With a slew of line-up changes and discarded band members in their wake that seem to follow along the path of acts like Napalm Death and Incantation, we can only hope that this won’t effect any future recordings or for that fact the career of these aspiring death metal legends. However, future problems that may or may not occur aside, this album hits the spot for my always hungry death metal gut.

Jungle Rot have done it again, making another well written piece of worthwhile listening material here. War Zone isn’t a revolutionary or ground-breaking album, but it surely combines a majority of the elements that make death metal one of the best and most thriving sub-genres today. This certainly will quench the thirst that Jungle Rot fans have had for the past two years, and may continue to do so until they have forged their next release. Once again, this is no Earth-shattering achievement here people, but it sure is a nice addition to an already superb collection of material.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #25
HatredEmbodied

Maelstrom.nu
http://maelstrom.nu/ezine/review_iss...ed14024be7aed5

At last, a fine death metal release — the sixth bombardment by Jungle Rot. In times when innovation does not seem to have the biggest priority, there’s always good reason to hark back to the elements that made this genre so huge worldwide.

At the west coast of the US, it started with Possessed. Later, for relentless, ruthless brutality and speedy carnage beyound the point of musicality there was Cannibal Corpse. But Jungle Rot are not interested in being "just another CC rip-off," so don’t expect anything like that.

Nonetheless, War Zone is such a cool death groove album that it might almost be considered a killjoy’s game to play it down with close comparisons. I’d recommend this one for fans of old school Swedish death metal because the Swedish rot ‘n’ roll from Entombed was also renowned for such filthy grooves and tight-fisted aggression.

War Zone out-grooves this year’s Torture Killer album (Chris Barnes’ Finnish incarnation of Six Feet Under), which is something. Take "Savage Rite," an inevitable neckmusclepuller. How many times you may have heard it before, can there be much doubt about the effectiveness of such an opening riff combined with that good ol’ stoic lumberjack rhythm? Strange how in the chorus I keep on imagining Chris Barnes grunting "You’ll never stop me: I’ll just kill again!" (on SFU’s "Survival")

Perhaps it’s that going from (SFU’s) Warpath to War Zone seems like a small step. The sound of Dave’s vocals is much different, more like a restrained cross between Max Cavalera and George Fisher. And when hearing a song like "Fight for Life," I also come to think of hardcore’s finest groove panzer machine, Pro-Pain.

I’d like to see how that song vocalwise would sound with a Gary Meskil treatment. These namedroppings might suggest that Dave is simply not as good as the aforementioned, but would anyone want to have a second Max, George or Gary? Yes, at times I’d like to hear him scream more instead of growl, but after listening to War Zone several times, one may find that this is a deliberate signature sound, not a shortcoming.

The sound of War Zone may bring several bands to mind (the band place their style in the vein of Sodom and Slayer), but eventually there’s no other way but admitting that this is an album that explodes with confidence and precision, finely produced by Chris Djuricic (Gorgasm, Fleshgrind, Disgorge). I expect it to become one of this year’s finest death groove albums to be discussed here. Highly enjoyable! (8/10)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #26
HatredEmbodied

TheMusicEdge.com
http://www.themusicedge.com/moxie/ne...ngle-rot.shtml

Celebrating their 11th year of existence in 2006, Midwest based band Jungle Rot drops an in-your-face trash metal bomb that screams old school the same way that the Vietnam war stunk like napalm. Needless to say, stuff like this has been done many times and much better. In War Zone, the riffs sound mostly groove oriented and contain a mid-tempo pace that allows guitarist/singer Dave Matrise to drop brutal yet legible vocals about what else but war and more war and then some more violent war and then more war. Titles include “Victims of Violence,” “They Gave Their Lives,” “Strong Shall Survive,” “Ready for War,” “Ambushed” and “Territoriality”; do I detect a theme here? Hell yes, these dudes have nothing else in mind but bombs, mutilated limbs and bloodstained camouflage. After all, that’s always been the band’s theme so they can’t be judged by that; past releases include Skin the Living, Slaughter the Weak, Dead and Buried and Fueled by Hate, and even though the titles could apply to any of the other preferred themes of the extreme music genre (plain gore, Satanism, etc, etc), a quick look at their artwork reveals their obsession with all things war in the jungle and more war, and people in camouflage, and bullet-holes, severed limbs, and oh yeah, war.

It is what it is, you know? Their sound reveals a more meat and potatoes Vader influenced American combo with the lack of technicality and shameless sloppiness of a band like Sodom for instance. That was never their point though, and pairing that with the limited appeal of their topic of choice Jungle Rot is going to have a really hard time expanding their limited fan base. They do not really seem that preoccupied by that, so why should we? One thing I noticed is the lack of guitar solos, and it’s not that I think that every album should include them, but their style is simply apt for such spice, it would have helped make things a bit more amusing, as we can only have so much of Jungle Rot before we feel like moving on with our lives turning on that Abba record that’s been itching our a**es for the past two weeks.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #27
HatredEmbodied

TheAdversary.org
http://www.theadversary.org/home/mod...wcontent&id=44

Jungle Rot have got to be one of my all time favorite Death Metal bands. Why? Because you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Some good old-fashioned groove-laden thrashy D-E-A-T-H. No technical guitar wankery. No goregrind gurgles. Just a Panzer tank chugga-chugga-chuggin through your ear canals and down your cerebral cortex.

Take everything you love about Morbid Angel, Slayer and maybe a dash of S.O.D. and shake that shit around. You'll have a pretty good idea what Jungle Rot's all about. There's no big deviation from 2004's awesome "Fueled By Hate" album. Like I said, you know exactly what you're getting into. Would you pick up the latest Mortician expecting their new bluegrass influenced sound? Probably not. It is what it is. They do what they do. They're just damn good at it.

Lyrically, this album sees the J-Rot's exploring their softer, more personal side. It's an Oprah's Book Of The Month Club look at what it's like being a man in today's world.
Not.
These are songs about killing, cannibalism, war, some more killing and a little more war. No blasphemy, vampires or beer drinkin...it's pretty much just death.

Overall, this is just a fun listen. Yea, I said fun. Sometimes you just want to be swept away....not think about it. Just fucking rock out. This'll do.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
RobertoKarlos

Reviews of "WAR ZONE"

Probably the BEST comic book adaption to date. This is the true Frank Castle evident within the first five mins of the movie. Hell even Micro is in this flick Ray Stevenson is the man, total bad and Dominic West did a fantastic job as the punishers archenemy Jigsaw. The action sequences are off the charts, amazingly done. Two thumbs up for this movie I suggest that all you comic fans def check this movie out you will not be dissapointed.
RobertoKarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #29
K-mart

I'm new here and to this band also, they sound pretty cool, has any of there stuff been released on vinyl?
K-mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #30
Mason_Baumgar

Re: Reviews of "WAR ZONE"

i love jungle rot
Mason_Baumgar is offline   Reply With Quote