View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #27
F. Mercenary
Human Being Human

Re: Deathspell Omega's Artwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by moist_cabbage

Chaining the Katechon
The title obviously refers to the katechon which you can research on wikipedia. The latin portion of the title refers to Psalm 117 KJV or Psalm 116 latin Vulgate version. The original text is “veritas domini manet in aeternum” which translates to “ the truth of the Lord endureth forever”. The quote “Le verdict ne vient pas d'un coup, le processus lui-même se transforme petit à petit en verdict.” is by Franz Kafka from*The Trial. Read this page:http://jahanbegloo.com/content/kafka...-modernity*for more context. The lyrics from Chaining also reference Paul Celan poem*Tenebrae’. The latin text “summa divisio” comes from Daniel Chamier’s*A Manual of Roman Law(which expounds upon supralapsarianism) from the chapter “Obligations arising from contract”. Here is the quote in context: omnium autem obligationum summa divisio in duo genera deducitur; namque aut civiles sunt aut praetoriae. The artwork of Chaining and SMRC are conceptually linked.

Kénôse
Refers to the process of Kenosis depicting Christ’s abasement to the fragility of humanity. “Everything, except GOD, has in itself some measure of privation, thus all individuals may be graded according to the degree to which they are infected with mere potentiality” comes from Arthur Lovejoy’s*The Great Chain of Being. Lyrics from I reference Colossian 1:15, The Shepherd of Hermas, and Philippians 2 (res rapta). II alludes to and implicates Georges Bataille’s Base Materialism, Good Friday (Ecce lignum Crucis, In quo salus mundi pependit), Martin Luther (Therefore God honors the sword.. From “Whether Soldiers Too Can Be Saved” in which he justifies slaughter in the name of piety since a soldier is God’s apparatus to carry out his will. This also links closely to the concept in Mass Grave Aesthetics with the quote from Tailhade), and Léon Bloy ("L'Esprit du Seigneur" from*La femme pauvre*). III quotes Revelation 12:9 (The section from 4:19 to 5:42) and Matthew 27:45-47(Lamma Sabacthanithe depicts death of Jesus, the Paraclete) in Latin as well as Louis Claude de Saint-Martin(“Nous n'avons pas d'autre…..from*Le ministère de l'homme-esprit). Mystical substitution is from Huysmans' biography of Saint Lydwine of Schiedam which basically interprets the notion of atoning for other’s sins through the sacrifice of oneself in the manner of Jesus Christ. The High Mass Comforter is Jesus. Paraclete is another word for Comforter/Jesus. Revelations 12 describes how the “woman” escapes the serpent by being granted the wings of an eagles. If you have the booklet for Kénôse, that is the last image. A few images in the booklet for Kénôse are abstractions of Revelations 12. You’ll notice pregnancy and birth from an bird/eagle like abstraction. Also the riff from II at 8:12 is from Procreation Epidemic 0:50 for what it’s worth.

Paracletus
The serpent from Revelations with 7 heads is the cover of Paracletus. The lyrics draw heavily from a liturgical prayer book by Richard Challoner such as the opening “Come thou sanctifier almighty and eternal God and bless this…...”. The backwards text in Malconfort is from Albert Camus from “La Chute”. Much of the text also comes from Thomas Scott Preston’s The Divine Paraclete. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Paracletus is 42 minutes long since the Dragon and the Beast in the Book of Revelations ruled Earth for 42 months before being condemned to hellfire. According to the Bible, the the Dragon and the Beast and everyone on Earth is condemned to 1000 years of silence and then hellfire. The “pit of silence” comes before the hellfire just as it is depicted in the booklet.*
This narrative comes directly after Kénôse in which the Devil descends unto the world after the woman escapes on eagle’s wings. There are some quotes from Léon Bloy again like in Epiklesis II and many quotes from the Bible if you care to find them and put them into context yourself (the latin line in Wings of Predation from the Book of Psalms for example is an attempt to beseech God before the end of times.) One thing that is unique to DSO’s brand of Satanism is that the Christian God, as depicted in the Bible, is more Satanic than Satan himself. Satan is fragile, like humanity, in the presence of God. The God in the Bible is a God of terror, fear, fear, and unrivaled incontrovertible power. In Fas and Paracletus, God is the absolute and ultimate terror, not Satan. Another important point is the “Eritis sicut dii” line from Dearth which is from Genesis 3:5. Better to be King for a day and be condemned forever than to be a servant for all eternity. DSO gleefully welcomes the eternal nothingness that awaits all of us.*
“Roi Céleste, Consolateur, Esprit de vérité, Viens et fais en nous ta demeure, Le double abîme, la fosse épouvantable” is a modification of the original Byzantine prayer:Roi céleste, Consolateur, Esprit de vérité, Toi qui es partout présent et qui emplis tout, Trésor des biens et Donateur de vie, viens et fais ta demeure en nous. Instead of beseeching God to cleanse one’s soul, DSO is appealing to God for “The double abyss, the dreadful pit” as mentioned in Revelations.*
Nihil videt et omnia videt("The soul sees nothing and everything") in Have you Beheld the fevers is from Angela of Foligno.
"When God is seen in darkness it does not bring a smile to the lips, or devotion, fervor, or ardent love; neither does the body or the soul tremble or move as at other times; the soul sees nothing and everything; the body sleeps and speech is cut off. And all the signs of friendship, so numerous and indescribable, all the words that God spoke to me, all those that you ever wrote-I now understand that these were so much less than that which I see with such great darkness, that in no way do I place my hope in them, nor is there any of my hope in them."
- Angela of Foligno

Fas
Perinde Ac Cadaver comes from the Jesuit Constitutions of 1554 by Ignatius of Loyola. Behave before God almighty in the manner of a corpse. DSO maintains that you might as well be judged as if you were already dead since all “that soweth of the flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption”. Most of the text comes from Georges Bataille’s Inner Experience, particularly from the chapter “Torture”. Much of the lyrics are ripped verbatim from Inner Experience. The Latin texts in the obombrations are quotes from Psalm 10 & 22 and Luke 22 respectively. Obombration meaning “shadow”. Your life is eclipsed by eternal nothingness….”The existence of things cannot enclose the death which it brings to me; the existence is itself projected into my death, and it is my death which encloses it”. The line “God of terror, very low dost thou bring us, very low hast thou brought us” is from Georges Bataille’s My Mother. "Le vent de la vérité a répondu comme une gifle à la joue tendue de la piété" is from Georges Bataille's L’Impossible. The mad laughter refers to Ecclesiastes 2 as well as Bataille (in Michel Surya’s biography, there are many quotes of Bataille likening debauchery with mad frantic laughter). By the end of the album, the phrase “God judge me in the manner of a corpse” is a spiteful mantra towards an omnipotent God. Since only a Divine soul, devoid of flesh, can enter Heaven, everyone is condemned and therefore it’s in everyone’s best interest to sin. Here’s an insightful essay:http://fearfullight.tumblr.com/post/34018526659

The name of the woman on the Drought cover is Andrea Islas Garcia. “"Andrea Islas Garcia was a subsistence farmer (campesina) who became blind as a result of cataracts. She died in 1998 from a cancer that was not treated. Andrea Islas Garcia lived in the community of Buena Vista, Otumba Municipality in the state of Mexico. For several years I took a friendship, in 1998 I was working in Chiapas when I received the news of her death. I arrived to say goodbye and take the last photo of Andrea." Here is a photo at her funeral…..open casket

“Altitudines Satanae” means the depths of Satan from the Vulgate version of Revelations 2:24 “vobis autem dico ceteris qui Thyatirae estis quicumque non habent doctrinam hanc qui non cognoverunt altitudines Satanae quemadmodum dicunt non mittam super vos aliud pondus”*
In context, a passage from Revelations 2 can put Andrea Garcia’s life and struggle into biblical terms: “I know thy works, and charity and service, and faith and thy patience, and thy works, and the last to be more than the first. Notwithstanding, I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman. Behold, I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He that searcheth the reins and hearts; and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine and who have not known the depths of Satan (as they say) I will put upon you no other burden.”

The ending of Mass Grave Aesthetics is Kyrie from Mozart’s Requiem played backwards. Download*
and reverse it here*http://www.mp3-reverser.com/en/*. The ending of Mass Grave occurs from about 0:42 to 0:54 and DSO just loops it.
Si non credideritis, Non inteligetis (Unless you will have believed, you will not understand) is from Augustine of Hippo. Sic volo, Sic jubeo, Stat pro ratione voluntas [Page 145 line 12] Sic volo, sic jubeo, stet pro ratione voluntas an inaccurate quotation from the Roman satirist Juvenal, which should read: 'Hoc volo, sic jubeo, sit pro ratione voluntas'. 'I will it, I insist on it. Let my will stand rather than reason'.

Diabolus Absconditus is about George Bataille’s Madame Edwarda.

Last edited by F. Mercenary; 05-22-2016 at 08:06 AM..
F. Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote