SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Death Metal Discussion (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   NFL (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=247715)

Popegina 09-05-2011 10:56 PM

NFL

Bored at work, not sure how successful this thread will be. The season is about to start... any fans here?

Being from the Seattle area, my team is the Seahawks, and the season doesn't look good. I think we'll be better than San Francisco, who is overrated every single year, but will still be behind the Rams and Cardinals. The other two teams that I am rooting for this year are Detroit and Tampa Bay, who are both young and promising teams with a lot of upside. I'm forcing myself to like the Titans this year because of Hasselbeck, Locker, and Babineaux, but it's not easy.

This year will be interesting because there's quite a few teams that potentially could win it all.

entwinedwithsickness 09-05-2011 11:04 PM

Even if this thread is just you and me posting I'm okay with that.

I'm a lifelong Jets fan. I just want to see them win. Or for me to win lots of money in my fantasy leagues.

Popegina 09-05-2011 11:14 PM

If the Jets had a better QB, they would be the best team in the NFL, by far. I was really surprised when they drafted Sanchez

Edit - Just noticed that the Rams waived Avery and Gilyard, and put Clayton on the PUP list. Who the hell is Bradford going to throw to? lol maybe they won't be as good as people are saying - no receivers and a declining running back.

entwinedwithsickness 09-05-2011 11:21 PM

He's young, he'll improve. Or not, but it won't be any worse than a childhood of watching Vinny Testaverde every season.

Deathstalker 09-05-2011 11:22 PM

http://s3-media1.px.yelpcdn.com/bpho...qIxGmbKw/l.jpg

Phillip Rivers is going to be putting up some big numbers this season, if they can stay healthy and special teams don't fuck up again I like their chances of going deep this year

Popegina 09-05-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwinedwithsickness (Post 3755726)
He's young, he'll improve. Or not, but it won't be any worse than a childhood of watching Vinny Testaverde every season.

haha, funny you mention him, cos I just looked him up the other day. 35 interceptions in one season for Tampa Bay. Holy fuck

@Deathstalker - Some sports writers are predicting the Chargers to win the Super Bowl. At first, I thought they were crazy, but after thinking about it, they really might have a chance. No real weaknesses at all. Even though I hate Rivers and his cocky attitude, I have to admit that he is an elite quarterback.

imbutawaveto 09-05-2011 11:37 PM

Have always been a fan of the buccaneers. Been painful watching them suck so hard since the super bowl, but I'm definitely starting to have hope for my young little team. Freeman will be a beast pretty soon me thinks.

Also it sux dix that we're in such a bad ass division.

Popegina 09-05-2011 11:41 PM

Blount is a flat out beast. I remember when he got in trouble for punching a dude during college, and ended up not getting drafted - I couldn't believe it. I signed him, Freeman, and Mike Williams to my fantasy team a couple of weeks into the season and they all helped me out.

forsakenwithoutpity 09-06-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathstalker (Post 3755727)
http://s3-media1.px.yelpcdn.com/bpho...qIxGmbKw/l.jpg

Phillip Rivers is going to be putting up some big numbers this season, if they can stay healthy and special teams don't fuck up again I like their chances of going deep this year

+1

Popegina 09-06-2011 12:30 AM

hahaha wtf, the computer auto-draft gave me David Garrard and Randy Moss just now. lol goddammit

I always have the comp do my picks for me because I think it's more fun to take a roster and tweak it, but I'm really fucked in that league. My other team has its draft in progress right now.

disGUSt(tx) 09-06-2011 01:06 AM

I keep up with the NFL about every OTHER year, not quite sure how much of the season I will catch this year. I always start off really interested and give up towards the playoffs.

The teams I like are really odd and for odd reasons. My family has always been about Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers, so I like them.

The Texans never fail to surprise me, they have amazing games against great teams, interesting plays, but sometimes they are a complete fucking joke (against horrible teams), when they fail, they fail hard. Horrible defense the ten years this team has existed. Its okay to quit watching them when they get on their almost unavoidable loosing streak, but the Texans really can be an interesting team to follow. Rather unpredictable.

I have always had a deep resentment for the New England Patriots, This goes back far, they do the same plays, and play really conservatively in my eyes, and win hard, or at least they did for years. Always seemed like the tyrant to overthrow.

Popegina 09-06-2011 01:18 AM

The Texans should be good this year. They've improved their defense and they didn't really lose too many players in the offseason. If Manning is really hurt and TX stays healthy, they have a chance to win the division.

GrindYourMind 09-06-2011 01:21 AM

http://flowtv.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/xfl.png

Deathstalker 09-06-2011 01:33 AM

the Buccaneers are actually my favorite NFC team so I would definitely like to see them do well, I like Josh Freeman he reminds me of Roethlisberger. He keeps plays alive by avoiding the rush and won't be brought down easily, best quarterback they have had in a long time, even when they won the Super Bowl they never really had that go-to QB

flayedandskinned 09-06-2011 01:51 AM

Go Niners!

Not hoping for anything, we aren't going to do shit this year.

slotheist 09-06-2011 03:41 AM

Cowboys. I'm much more hopeful considering last season's debacle. I have a feeling the new defense will take a few games to get in check, but I'm anxious to see what Rob Ryan can conjure up. HIGH expectations for Dez Bryant with a healthy QB at the head.

I'm actually in Seattle right now. I wanted to catch a Seahawks game before I left, but their first 2 are away. Assholes. Love Qwest (Centurylink?) Field

disGUSt(tx) 09-06-2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popegina (Post 3755750)
The Texans should be good this year. They've improved their defense and they didn't really lose too many players in the offseason. If Manning is really hurt and TX stays healthy, they have a chance to win the division.

Every years it's "defense is better, defense no longer a problem, defense is top-notch now", and then suddenly the worst teams in the league just plow through their lines. I do remain, however, hopeful.

flayedandskinned 09-06-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slotheist (Post 3755785)
Cowboys. I'm much more hopeful considering last season's debacle. I have a feeling the new defense will take a few games to get in check, but I'm anxious to see what Rob Ryan can conjure up. HIGH expectations for Dez Bryant with a healthy QB at the head.

I'm actually in Seattle right now. I wanted to catch a Seahawks game before I left, but their first 2 are away. Assholes. Love Qwest (Centurylink?) Field

I heard that a pizza costs $90 at the Dallas stadium and either 5k or 10k for a seat license if you want to be a season ticket holder.

flayedandskinned 09-06-2011 04:28 AM

Oh and $280 per 1 game parking pass.

slotheist 09-06-2011 04:32 AM

I had no idea. Haven't been to Cowboys stadium yet. Anyone who pays $90 for a pizza is either an idiot or filthy rich.

Saldiac 09-06-2011 05:51 AM

Steelers.

That is all.

SwedeMetal 09-06-2011 10:49 AM

http://www.profilebrand.com/graphics...ikings-fan.gif

Wild card team at best this year.

brutalized 09-06-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flayedandskinned (Post 3755761)
Go Niners!

Probably not, but I want Frank Gore to go the fuck off. I have drafted him 3 years now,I hope his hip is ok.

brutalized 09-06-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disGUSt(tx) (Post 3755796)
Every years it's "defense is better, defense no longer a problem, defense is top-notch now", and then suddenly the worst teams in the league just plow through their lines. I do remain, however, hopeful.

I gotta say I am believing the hype this year. Wade Philips should be a good upgrade. The defense is simple now,just let Mario Williams hunt the QB. They need to stop using Kareem Jackson though cause all he does is get burned.

cry0fth3carr0ts 09-06-2011 07:03 PM

GO CHIEFS!!!

...we have a tough schedule...

alteredstate 09-06-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flayedandskinned (Post 3755761)
Go Niners!

Just need a respectable offensive line and an experienced qb, but that seems like it's too much to ask for...

Chargers and Texans show a lot of promise this year, and if we're talking about sleeper teams I could see Miami and Detroit turning things around this season.

disGUSt(tx) 09-06-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalized (Post 3755955)
They need to stop using Kareem Jackson though cause all he does is get burned.

This.

Chilidem 09-06-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeMetal (Post 3755851)

Yeah, unless McNabb can come through this year and he might. Defense needs to play better, too. It's a tough division either way especially with the Lions looking improved.

SKOL VIKINGS!

kabukijoe 09-06-2011 11:52 PM

I'm ready for another disappointing season from the Bills :frown::emot-cryi

Popegina 09-07-2011 12:02 AM

lol yeah, trading Evans for a 4th round pick doesn't make much sense. Hopefully they have a better season